No announcement yet.

Is Spence-Porter really a PPV fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
    I don't disagree with you either my friend...someone else had a good point before that Mikey and Spence got similar numbers before that fight...and that it was also Mikey's first PPV fight. So no real evidence that I've seen to indicate it was all/mainly Mikey.

My personal opinion is that Mikey was really driving the sales...but I can't say that for certain...will be interested to see how well this one does if it is on PPV.

As another guy mentioned, if it doesn't really sell (maybe similar to Crawford-Khan) it does take away some of Errol's negotiating power...I guess seeing what Garcia-Garcia does on PPV will be a good barometer as well.
    Well your 1st paragraph sums it all up. We don't really know and need more evidence. Mikey is Mexican, but Spence is popular with Floyd's fanbase.

Yes when we see the numbers for Garcia/Garcia and Spence/Porter we will have more information to reach a conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      There could be some of that, but there is an argument that DAZN is trying to replace HBO's vacancy & PBC is trying to replace the PPV vacancy with Canelo gone.

I mean idk if that was either side's goal cuz HBO getting out of boxing was just rumor & speculation for years so why would anyone think it would more or less be timed with DAZN entering the game & lead to the situation we are in now, but that seems to be how it went down. If HBO was still in business I think DAZN is having an even harder time making a play in boxing & might even be going down other sport roads harder than they've gotten into boxing & obviously if HBO is still around & doing 2 to 4 PPV's a year its unlikely PBC is doing as many PPV's as they are currently doing.

So idk if its much beyond opportunity with what people are doing right now. And if you can make bigger plays & make bigger money you gotta take it if you wanna be this next era's HBO cuz someone is gonna eventually become the new HBO & be the go to spot for boxing. All this boxing thats on right now with all these high level players ins't gonna last forever so enjoy it & quit b^tching about it so much.
      Good post as usual man...very good perspectives...I strongly dislike high priced PPVs though so I will always complain about that lol :0

Comment

Honestly, I don't think either one has proven their drawing power as PPV attractions, however, it's a significant fight and if PPV is the way to get them the most money, than that's probably how it should be done.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          Well your 1st paragraph sums it all up. We don't really know and need more evidence. Mikey is Mexican, but Spence is popular with Floyd's fanbase.

Yes when we see the numbers for Garcia/Garcia and Spence/Porter we will have more information to reach a conclusion.
          Yep good points...we will see, will be interesting

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            You have a source for Spence earning $10M against Mikey?

Trolling hard I see. Sold 300K "on his own" against an "unknown" in Garcia? GTFOOH with that fan boy nonsense.

This fight SHOULD be a PPV worthy event, but my money says it will be a break even fight in PPV sales. It's a risk for Spence because if it flops, he loses leverage against Crawford.
            According to reports, both fighters are set to be paid $8 million apiece for the pay-per-view event. The major topic of discussion around this fight is size disparity. Spence is much bigger naturally and there is concern Garcia has been blown up in an effort to compete in a weight class above his best weight class.
            https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianma.../#33af89257695

Keith Idec said the guarantee was 9M for Spence and 8.5M for Garcia. And the PPV ended up doing better numbers than expected and the live gate was 4.7M. That's where the around 10M number comes from.

Comment

I did buy Spence vs. Garcia reluctantly because my friends wanted to see it. Spence vs. Porter interests me a lot more than Spence vs. Garcia did. So I might buy Spence vs. Porter, but it doesn't interest me nearly as much as Thurman vs. Pacquiao or Wilder vs. Ortiz II. Depending on when Wilder vs. Ortiz II is, I could see myself skipping Spence vs. Porter. I try to only order 2-3 pay-per-views a year if possible.

Comment

No. It’s a good fight but not the fight we want. Who Spence gonna fight next Danny Garcia? I don’t wanna see that Thurman Pacquiao crap either. I want Crawford in the mix.

Comment

I'd rather pay PPV for Porter vs Bradley. At least that would be competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by DARTH SILKWORMS View Post
                    I did buy Spence vs. Garcia reluctantly because my friends wanted to see it. Spence vs. Porter interests me a lot more than Spence vs. Garcia did. So I might buy Spence vs. Porter, but it doesn't interest me nearly as much as Thurman vs. Pacquiao or Wilder vs. Ortiz II. Depending on when Wilder vs. Ortiz II is, I could see myself skipping Spence vs. Porter. I try to only order 2-3 pay-per-views a year if possible.
                    Good post...I am not as active as far as buying PPVs..but I agree with your overall sentiments my friend as far as which fights I am most interested in seeing.

Originally posted by Purist215 View Post
                    No. It’s a good fight but not the fight we want. Who Spence gonna fight next Danny Garcia? I don’t wanna see that Thurman Pacquiao crap either. I want Crawford in the mix.
                    Completely agree...that's part of my issue as well...the only fight at WW I reallllly want to see is Crawford Spence...I would probably even pay $70 for that and I have only bought 3-4 PPV in the last 5 years.

Originally posted by RGJTMMRDCMJRJSM View Post
                    I'd rather pay PPV for Porter vs Bradley. At least that would be competitive.
                    Yeah I think this one is pretty straightforward for Spence...I've hardly seen Spence lose a round so not expecting too much from Porter here...who knows though maybe he will be competitive.

Comment

Working...
                    X