No announcement yet.

Showcase Fights for Prospects Need to Stay off Network TV

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showcase Fights for Prospects Need to Stay off Network TV

That Marcus Browne circus turned off some casual fans trying to get into boxing. I watched the fight with some people last night and all I heard was "this is why I don't watch boxing", " this is why I watch MMA", "this is why MMA is the fastest growing sport", blah blah blah.

On premium cable and smaller networks, this corruption goes on regularly but we as boxing fans are used to it and understand it. The house prospect just has to finish on his feet and he's safe.

But last night, boxing's ugly side was on display for millions of people who don't understand that concept and an opportunity to grow the sport and attract new fans was missed.

I missed that fight. What was wrong with it? Was it a total mismatch?

Comment

You can put those fights on ESPN, Spike tv, Foxsports, HBO2, Showtime2 but on the big network like HBO, Showtime, NBC, CBS, FOX you don't play around

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        No, Browne 'knocked down' Kalajdzic in the opening round when it was a slip and then Browne had the balls tohit him while he was down. Browne then proceeded to get knocked down legitimately and hold on for dear life and looked like he had lost a decision by some way and Browne managed to win somehow. the crowed booed.

It was a disgraceful decision. Browne is not going far in the sport, then in the post fight interview he said he thought Kalajdzic only won 2 rounds.

Comment

Haven't seen the fight yet but I agree with the premise.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            It was corruption. Browne started off OK. In the first round, his opponent slipped and they gave Browne a knockdown. It was a terrible call.

Later in the fight Browne waa hurt and was just holding and surviving for several rounds. This was worse than Wlad/Povetkin. At least Wlad was landing punches.

He was dropped in round 6 I think. And never really recovered. The ref just let him hold and flop around the ring slip after slip until the clock ran out.

Then of course he waa gifted a split decision. He did not deserve to win.

Comment

GIF: Marcus Browne vs Radivoje Kalajdzic

You should of smack any Queer in the mouth for mentioning UFC during a great night of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                It was corruption. Browne started off OK. In the first round, his opponent slipped and they gave Browne a knockdown. It was a terrible call.

Later in the fight Browne waa hurt and was just holding and surviving for several rounds. This was worse than Wlad/Povetkin. At least Wlad was landing punches.

He was dropped in round 6 I think. And never really recovered. The ref just let him hold and flop around the ring slip after slip until the clock ran out.

Then of course he waa gifted a split decision. He did not deserve to win.
                Ah. That's unfortunate, and you're totally right. That happens in "showcase" fights early in a fighter's career a lot more than it does between two world class fighters. It's a tricky situation, because you never know when you set up a showcase fight that ends up going wrong. You want the biggest audience you can get to see a guy whoop on someone. But if it goes wrong? Well, stuff like you heard gets said.
                Last edited by bojangles1987; 04-17-2016, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I thought 2/3's of that card was fun to watch. No arguing this fight wasn't as planned, but as a guy who watches UFC this happens there too sometimes. ****ty fights are as unplanned as great fights most of the times. I mean if you threw Gatti or A Diaz brother you up your chances in respective sports, but beyond that they got lil control of things going down or up sometimes. So if 1/3 of that card gots them hating boxing or big upping MMA they probably are never gonna know **** about either of those sports

Comment

Working...
                  X