Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily commute.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10hrs in total for a 5 day week.. Based on whether you drive or take a public transport I'd say 2hrs one-way door-door is my cue to relocate..

Comment

Originally posted by msagrain View Post
      My weekly commute is around 13-16 hours traffic dependant for a 5 day working week.

What is yours and what do you consider the tipping point in time before you consider relocating?
      This is something I am always pondering over.

Living in the bay area, I market myself in my career as available to the whole bay area, however commute times across the bay can be awful, anywhere from 45 mins, to almost 2 hours depending on your commute times.

north bay to south bay, east bay to south bay, in/out of SF to anywhere, etc.

Currently, I am considering what may turn into an offer over in North Carolina, and was actually going to make a thread hear asking locals to tell me about the pros and cons before I consider relocating. I might also want to not relocate and just travel, or rent a real cheap room in that area and still pay rent on my apartment here and spend weekends or a week a month here to not completely give it up.

Anyway, commute times for me, as a cut-off, if it extends over an hour, you really have to assess if it's worth it. For some, it absolutely is, especially if you make good money. People are willing to drive pretty far to work to not sacrifice their home, maybe it's because it's beautiful, more affordable, quiet, whatever.

It's all about your priorities. If moving a block away from work would be huge because it saves you a few hours communting that could go elsewhere in your day, you get to wake up later, etc, but at the same time you hate the noise of the area, there is no parking, you don't care for the immediate nightlife, then don't do it. That is more or less my position on why I don't move directly into SF, that and cost of living.

If you neeeed nightlight for example, are one of those social butterfiles that can't go without "hanging out" every day, then living in the suburbs or woods a few hours from where you work might not be the best idea for you.

Things to consider: gas, weather, time involved, schedule volatility. These are things I consider. Would I drive every day, or do I work from home sometimes?

For me for example, what I drive matters too. The fact that I drive a V8 as opposed to a cuckmobile (Prius) matters.

Comment

2011-2015: 2 hours (4 round trip)
        2016: 10-20 minutes
        2017: 0 (doing everything online/remote)

I actually enjoy rural commutes where you can listen to music for 30 min to wake up. Cross-city urban traffic commutes aren't worth it. Get there ready for bed.
        Last edited by ////; 01-09-2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Mine's about an hour each way. I live well out in the suburbs, but I take mass transit into downtown where I work.

Best of both worlds. Easy commute I can sleep, read, goof off, etc while not having to live in the city.

Comment

I wouldn't travel more than an hour each way.

Comment

Originally posted by //// View Post
              2011-2015: 2 hours (4 round trip)
              2016: 10-20 minutes
              2017: 0 (doing everything online/remote)
              I recently left a company that let me work from home full time, and I wasn't a fan at all.

On one hand sure I saved gas and time not commuting, but on the other, my productivity took a hit. It's just not the same as being present on site, being able to interact person-to-person with clients and team members, having that comraderie, those random brainstorm sessions, those whiteboard sessions. All of that is absent when you limit your interactivity to virtual meetings, emails, chatrooms, and phone calls. Ultimately I both didn't feel like part of the team, and I was less driven, proactive, and efficient during that time.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                This is something I am always pondering over.

Living in the bay area, I market myself in my career as available to the whole bay area, however commute times across the bay can be awful, anywhere from 45 mins, to almost 2 hours depending on your commute times.

north bay to south bay, east bay to south bay, in/out of SF to anywhere, etc.

Currently, I am considering what may turn into an offer over in North Carolina, and was actually going to make a thread hear asking locals to tell me about the pros and cons before I consider relocating. I might also want to not relocate and just travel, or rent a real cheap room in that area and still pay rent on my apartment here and spend weekends or a week a month here to not completely give it up.

Anyway, commute times for me, as a cut-off, if it extends over an hour, you really have to assess if it's worth it. For some, it absolutely is, especially if you make good money. People are willing to drive pretty far to work to not sacrifice their home, maybe it's because it's beautiful, more affordable, quiet, whatever.

It's all about your priorities. If moving a block away from work would be huge because it saves you a few hours communting that could go elsewhere in your day, you get to wake up later, etc, but at the same time you hate the noise of the area, there is no parking, you don't care for the immediate nightlife, then don't do it. That is more or less my position on why I don't move directly into SF, that and cost of living.

If you neeeed nightlight for example, are one of those social butterfiles that can't go without "hanging out" every day, then living in the suburbs or woods a few hours from where you work might not be the best idea for you.

Things to consider: gas, weather, time involved, schedule volatility. These are things I consider. Would I drive every day, or do I work from home sometimes?

For me for example, what I drive matters too. The fact that I drive a V8 as opposed to a cuckmobile (Prius) matters.
                Why not hop on the rail in the Bay?

Comment

My job is about 20 minutes away so 40 minutes a day, but I get off early in the mornings usually 4:30am so it might be shorter than 20 min

Maybe 15 on the way back

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                    Why not hop on the rail in the Bay?
                    BART doesn't reach the North Bay, for one.

Also, in my (backwards) mind, I didn't buy a fun car to sit my nice azz pants on a bart seat 200 bums have laid on over the last week.

I'm not too good for it, but I feel like if I can avoid stuff like that, I will.

Comment

Working...
                    X