Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charles Martin Promoter: The Americans are back!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Martin Promoter: The Americans are back!

Heavyweight titleholder Charles Martin is set to face 2012 Olympic gold medalist Anthony Joshua April 9 in London, England in an intriguing crossroads bout.

But the situation THE RING-rated No. 10 Martin (23-0-1, 21 knockouts) was initially pining for was an all-American heavyweight unification match with Deontay Wilder, according to his promoter.

“Wilder would have been the No. 1 option if we could have gotten him,” Leon Margules, who promotes Martin, told ******.com on Monday. “That would have been great- two American heavyweights. [But] everybody has their obligations. We didn’t want to fight any meaningless, keep-busy opponent.”

Martin’s options were limited, though after he won the vacant IBF title against Vyacheslav Glazkov in January. Wilder, who holds the WBC title, is in negotiations to face Alexander Povetkin in May. And of course Wladimir Klitschko and Tyson Fury are working on a rematch for perhaps this summer. THE RING-rated No. 9 Joshua (15-0, 15 KOs) was the best remaining option for Martin, Margules said.

In discussing the heavyweight division, Margules listed Wilder, Martin and Joshua as the top heavyweights at the moment.

“I think the heavyweight division is every exciting right now,” Margules said. “I think that Wilder is better than people think. I think he’s going to beat Povetkin. And I think the Americans are back. I wasn’t impressed with Klitschko or Fury. Were you? Joshua, Wilder and Martin look like the better fighters of those five at this point. I’m not going to criticize Klitschko for his whole career but he’s 40 years old and who knows what he’s got left? And Fury almost got knocked out by Steve Cunningham (in 2013 in a fight Fury won by KO).”

Lmao Charles Martin ATG P4P #1 brah

Charlie Zelenoff got nothing on this brotha!

Comment

I think he's doing some standard promoter hype/wishful thinking. Most promoters are prone to this so I can't fault him for that.

Even the "American's are back" line is fair. Okay we got some American HW's who've managed to win titles (even if Martin's whole title situation is pretty effed up imo), but the Wilder & Martin are the best two HW's line is utterly insane. I don't think its insane to suggest Wilder is in the top 2 (although I think I'd still lean towards Fury & Klitschko being the top 2 & I think most would too, but Wilder could be argued to be top 2 easy), but throwing Martin in the top 2 mix is hilarious. I'm not sure I'd rank Martin in the top 2 HW's from the midwest or wherever he's from let alone the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        I'm not sure I'd rank Martin in the top 2 HW's from the midwest or wherever he's from let alone the world.
        WBO had him ranked #1 in the world and he was their longtime North American champion.

Now he's IBF *world* champion.

I'm not saying I'd rank him in the top 2-3 worldwide, but he's top 10 for sure and possibly top 5. Just because you hadn't heard of him before doesn't mean he wasn't working his way up the rankings for years. Just means you don't follow the sport very closely.

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
          WBO had him ranked #1 in the world and he was their longtime North American champion.

I'm not saying I'd rank him in the top 2-3 worldwide, but he's top 10 for sure and possibly top 5. Just because you hadn't heard of him before doesn't mean he wasn't working his way up the rankings for years. Just means you don't follow the sport very closely.
          Go check out who he's fought up til his last fight. Go check out the Glazkov fight again, that probably shoulda been a NC, & think about what you are saying & the other guys in the HW division who's resumes look like murders row in comparison to Martin's.

And fwiw respect to Martin. What can he do? He got a huge opportunity & made the most of it & still is with this Joshua fight. Regardless of all that he isn't in the top 2 in the division unless you are pooping your pants on a regular basis & I think there is an extremely solid argument he's not even a legit top ten guy. He for sure wouldn't be in my top 10, that I know.

Comment

I'm very familiar with who he has fought. He's had fights televised on NBC Sports, on free internet broadcasts and I've also seen him fight in person. On his way up the ladder, he fought guys with decent records and knocked out an undefeated guy to win the North American title.

If he's not in your top 10, that's fine. I don't argue opinions. But BoxingScene.com, TBRB, Ring Magazine and ESPN all have him in the top 10 in the world, so for you to act like he's nothing more than a midwest club fighter is a bit silly.

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post

Hes beaten no one. His resume make Anthony josua and Joseph parkers look like muderers row ffs

Comment

America need more than Wilder and Martin for the americans to be "back".

Comment

Belts to me don't mean **** anymore. Good match making is all I ask for. Depending on who've you fought and especially beaten is where you get ranked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
                    Belts to me don't mean **** anymore. Good match making is all I ask for. Depending on who've you fought and especially beaten is where you get ranked for me.
                    the entire sport revolves around the belts. 99% of the decisions made by promoters, fighters & TV networks revolve around the belts.

if they don't mean anything to you, that's cool. you should value whatever you want. i personally would like to see all the orgs killed off.

but that doesn't change the fact that currently, the belts own the sport.

Comment

Working...
                    X