Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

El Kid Chocolate....do you claim him or not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is a cool dude people might not notice but he is very smart. winky gave a great fight I don't know why he decided to retire, he should keep on fighting at 154.

Comment

Originally posted by JRM View Post
      this question should be to cubans
      I 2nd to this !

I didnt know the threw candy out at the crowd lol

Comment

Originally posted by piojo del norte View Post
        He is a cool dude people might not notice but he is very smart. winky gave a great fight I don't know why he decided to retire, he should keep on fighting at 154.
        nah dawgy be done!

Comment

Nop, he had not fought in 4 years he should have had a tune up. Winky loves his donuts I am sure he struggled with weight. He can be champ at 154 I am sure of that.

Originally posted by RicDaRula View Post
          nah dawgy be done!

Comment

Nope.

Why? simply because he was born and raised here, and plus with that American name Cubans won't give him the time of day. He might have a tat of the Cuban flag and on his trunks, but Cubans won't claim him.

Comment

I'm not an authority on deciding what someone is or isn't. But I can appreciate anybody who has enough pride in themselves and their roots to represent them, especially if it is one of their main motivating factors to move forward and achieve.

as far as Quillin's talent is concerned...like mentioned before...he has a lot of raw talent, but is still very crude. He's a wild counterpuncher, which is not something we see too often...and to me, isn't exactly a good combination. An elite-level sharper, more fine-tuned boxerpuncher will pick him apart rather easily....

On the other hand, I was content with what I saw against Wright. He did exactly what he needed to do with Winky, and that was look for openings and punish him with strong effective combinations. Nobody has ever looked good against Winky, not even in victory. The fact he's a southpaw didnt help Quillin's case any, either. It was an OK fight, I hope Quillin gets his crack at some elite competition in the near future...although i'm not too sure on how he would fare.

Comment

Originally posted by MalikKnucklez View Post
                I'm not an authority on deciding what someone is or isn't. But I can appreciate anybody who has enough pride in themselves and their roots to represent them, especially if it is one of their main motivating factors to move forward and achieve.

as far as Quillin's talent is concerned...like mentioned before...he has a lot of raw talent, but is still very crude. He's a wild counterpuncher, which is not something we see too often...and to me, isn't exactly a good combination. An elite-level sharper, more fine-tuned boxerpuncher will pick him apart rather easily....

On the other hand, I was content with what I saw against Wright. He did exactly what he needed to do with Winky, and that was look for openings and punish him with strong effective combinations. Nobody has ever looked good against Winky, not even in victory. The fact he's a southpaw didnt help Quillin's case any, either. It was an OK fight, I hope Quillin gets his crack at some elite competition in the near future...although i'm not too sure on how he would fare.
                Didnt Paul Williams dominate Winky??

Comment

Originally posted by RIZO24 View Post
                  Didnt Paul Williams dominate Winky??
                  lol as soon as I re-read my post, I knew someone was gonna mention PWill. Out of all of his losses, that was up there as one of the worst ones. Definitely.But there were times in that fight, especially in the mid rounds where he was giving Paul a particularly hard time. He began to smother him and trying to control pace. Also, when PWill fought Winky...Winky had become a more offensively minded fighter, and i think that hurt him significantly, especially against a strong, versatile puncher in Williams.

Although Winky was not a defensive shell against Quillin, he wasn't neccesarily pressuring him either. You can tell he had respect for Quillin's power, especially after he got knocked down. Quillin, a natural counterpuncher, thrives when dudes is coming straight at him. Winky is never gonna do that.

Comment

I don't think we have any cubans..........

im pretty sure theres a couple, but most dont come here to the latin lounge.

Comment

Didn't look great vs Winky IMO but he could have something......Latinos...do ya'll claim him as one of us??

Peter Quillin, whose father is Cuban, grew up in Grand Rapids. He calls himself "Kid Chocolate" in honor of the highly-popular Cuban boxer. He had eight amateur fights. The tall, aggressive Quillin turned pro in New York and signed with Cedric Kushner. He had many of his fights televised, flaunting one-punch knockout power in either hand that built him a huge following despite his average opposition and lack of amateur pedigree. Quillin tosses out Hershey's chocolate kisses to the crowd after each win
                      wow, really? if that is the case then i'm pretty impressed on how far he has gotten. that's crazy. does it say or does anyone know what his record is as an am? i would have to imagine an undefeated one as to be so confident to turn pro so early...

Originally posted by RIZO24 View Post
                      He reps the Cuban flag.. I wonder if he speaks Spanish though? The question should be to the Cubans, if they claim him as one of their own? I say if you have Latino ethnicity and you claim it, then yeah you are Latino..
                      yeah he does, i remember him talking to his father in spanish when elie seckbach interviewed them at his house. go on youtube and search on seckbach's page, you should be able to find one or two vids with his father and him talking in spanish.

and i agree with the "if he has spanish ethnicity and reps it, he's hispanic. he obviously is cuban cause of his father so he should be accepted amongst latinos, but imo it doesn't matter if he does or doesn't. if he has an entertaining style and continues developing with the right promoter, he'll eventually build up his own fanbase. what is his mother btw? she african american or cuban as well?

Comment

Working...
                      X