No announcement yet.

How Blessed Are We To Live Today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Blessed Are We To Live Today?

This era that we are growing up in will be looked back as the golden years of humanity. Relatively no significant wars, historically low poverty and starvation, and technological advancements that allow the poor to live better than the kings and queens of the past.

I dwelled on this fact as I sat on my top grain leather sectional, with an IPA Sculpin beer, watching the football game on my big screen TV, while checking my fantasy football score on a smart phone that has near infinite use from music, videos, pictures, calculator, alarm, weather, finance, dictionary etc...

I dwelled on the fact that I have two cars parked outside my garage, that I own a $2500-3000 dog that in the past would only be reserved for nobility or upper class. Dwelled on the fact that I owned a laptop, Ipad, and Iphone, something that would be the utmost luxury going back as early as 1980. And most importantly dwelled on the fact of how lucky and fortunate I am, how lucky and fortunate we all are to live today where you can go into any super market and pick out your cut of beef, pork, fish, lamb, and poultry that your heart desires. Thought about how this is exclusively a modern privilege, because back in the day there would've had to been a holiday or special occasion for a family to slaughter pork or beef for dinner, and it would've only happened a few times a year.

Being alive in itself is the most incomprehensibly substantial gift.

Imagine from the blob and soup of nothingness, we somehow came to be here at this very moment eternally present within infinite possibility.

We are owed nothing, we are entitled to nothing, yet in the endless recesses of impermeable darkness we exist.

Not a single moment is promised yet here we are rebelling against the darkness and against the chaos.

Comment

Jim makes too much sense in this thread!

Comment

Was just thinking the same thing yesterday!

I live in a nice enough house, in a nice enough neighbourhood, with thousands of others around which are just as nice etc.

But compared to what people had a hundred years ago? My modest possessions would put me as a rich man indeed. That's not even counting the things which the people back then couldn't even dream of - like modern technology. And modern medicine - how good is it that we can all have functioning legs since vaccines killed off polio?

Progress is a wonderful thing.

Comment

You breathing? you blessed.

Comment

We are living in a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah..............

But I'm no saint either!

Comment

Originally posted by TJ highway View Post
              We are living in a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah..............

But I'm no saint either!
              As opposed to living in 1942, when people were religiously strict but tortured and slaughtered each other by the millions?

Comment

Says a "privileged straight white male." Persons of color i.e. POCs, transpersons, women, disabled people, LGBTQs and muslims are systemically structurally and institutionally oppressed and marginalized. Their lives are literally being threatened daily by harmful 'microaggresions' and other acts of violence.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                  Says a "privileged straight white male." Persons of color i.e. POCs, transpersons, women, disabled people, LGBTQs and muslims are systemically structurally and institutionally oppressed and marginalized. Their lives are literally being threatened daily by harmful 'microaggresions' and other acts of violence.
                  He puts the honkey in honkey dory

Comment

I'd rather have been born a 100 hundred years later. Or a thousand years later, assuming we haven't killed ourselves. Or even further on in future history. I think sh^t is only getting better, but yea if you are only looking at now & our past then now is obviously better.

Comment

Working...
                    X