Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 11-10-2018, 12:02 AM #11
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3757 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,025.25
Total Points: 20,100.31
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsNestWest View Post
Double jab my friend. That is what will keep someone from throwing the counter left, unless your jab has power. Then i'd be reluctant to throw that. Use different angles on the first jab or feint it.
What if the jab has no power?
OctoberRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-13-2018, 07:50 PM #12
Contender

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
CrowsNestWest is infamous around these partsCrowsNestWest is infamous around these partsCrowsNestWest is infamous around these partsCrowsNestWest is infamous around these partsCrowsNestWest is infamous around these partsCrowsNestWest is infamous around these partsCrowsNestWest is infamous around these partsCrowsNestWest is infamous around these partsCrowsNestWest is infamous around these partsCrowsNestWest is infamous around these partsCrowsNestWest is infamous around these parts
Bank: 1,015.08
Total Points: 6,588.23
Default Jab

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRed View Post
What if the jab has no power?
Without a snapping jab, I'd say that a double jab is almost useless. The other remedy would be the counter right hook/hookercut. Feints are really your best friend in this situation, but you have to make your opponent respect your jab or you're finito. I'd practice philly shell some.
CrowsNestWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:56 AM #13
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3757 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,025.25
Total Points: 20,100.31
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsNestWest View Post
Without a snapping jab, I'd say that a double jab is almost useless. The other remedy would be the counter right hook/hookercut. Feints are really your best friend in this situation, but you have to make your opponent respect your jab or you're finito. I'd practice philly shell some.
Indeed, you need at least respectable power to keep someone at bay.
OctoberRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:22 AM #14
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
BG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,005.00
Total Points: 8,424.00

Firstly, if your jab is ever consistently being countered by hooks (of all shots), your jab is too limited/predictable. You need to feint, or throw it safe enough (balanced) to draw the hook out but remain out of range. There's nothing in the rulebook that states your intentions with the jab are solely to score.

Second, passive defense (stance). If your jab is being countered by hooks, maybe your stance is not conducive enough to lay your ground work off the jab. If you stand more bladed, the shoulder is more drawn forward/closer to the opponent by default, lessening the amount of time it takes to throw by shortening the distance it has to travel. Not to mention that your targets are now further away from the opponent with your weapons more in line and reliable.

Third, active defense. The fact you made a thread about a shot you consistently get countered by obviously tells us you're aware enough to know it's coming. Drill with a partner with making sure you're bringing the hand home. Then drill returning the hand to catch the oncoming hook off your jab. Or drill rolling or ducking under the hook off your jab.

Lastly, the highest form of defense. Preventing their hook from ever being viable by correct/purposeful movement and proper sight picture. As a southpaw you CAN move left against an orthodox boxer; this will take away their hook. This, by conventional wisdom, gives them the right hand, which is also very avoidable from this position if done properly. The key is to maintain correct alignment while taking them out of theirs. Robbing them of their balance via footwork. Marvin Cook explains this very well, as it is fairly difficult for me to type up an explanation without a graph or a visual.

Best of luck.

Last edited by BG_Knocc_Out; 11-16-2018 at 04:25 AM.
BG_Knocc_Out is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
counter, favorite, hand, hook, lead, long, orthodox, southpaw

User Tag List