No announcement yet.

Comparing Michael Grant and Deontay Wilder

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing Michael Grant and Deontay Wilder

I took a look back out of interest to see Grant's career up to the Lennox fight, and his big test prior to that fight was his matchup against Golota, who up to that point had only really lost 1 fight to Lennox (in terms of actually getting bombed out, not DQing himself...). Now, in my opinion, that Golota was a much better win than Stiverne. Grant followed up his best win by getting blasted out early by an ATG, his next step up.

I think Wilder v Wlad will be a similar scenario, with the young talent coming off a good win and more hype, being blasted out by the ATG.

Agree/disagree?

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
    I took a look back out of interest to see Grant's career up to the Lennox fight, and his big test prior to that fight was his matchup against Golota, who up to that point had only really lost 1 fight to Lennox (in terms of actually getting bombed out, not DQing himself...). Now, in my opinion, that Golota was a much better win than Stiverne. Grant followed up his best win by getting blasted out early by an ATG, his next step up.

I think Wilder v Wlad will be a similar scenario, with the young talent coming off a good win and more hype, being blasted out by the ATG.

Agree/disagree?

I agree with the end result but Grant was in a foul filled dogfight with Golota and was on his ass.

There were some questions about his chin too that got answered by Lennox.

Comment

There is a high probability that he does get beat by Wlad, but there is not much shame in that.

It would really come down to how Wilder would respond to that moment because there are two ways to take a lose, Grant's career died in that moment but that doesn't have to happen if a guy doesn't let it because a guy can come back better than ever.

Also having followed his whole career if he even gets to the big fight with Wlad I think you would have to call his career a success. Not a lot of people saw him getting to that sort of spot, so if that is where he falls I don't think anyone could be upset at that.

Comment

I see a little bit of Carl Williams

and Ernie Terrell in DW!
        He moves like Williams for a big man. Carl was a little more fluid, and took more chances by always being on the attack with his jab, thus we would get KTFO in the process.
        Also Terrell, as far as his left hook.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
          There is a high probability that he does get beat by Wlad, but there is not much shame in that.

It would really come down to how Wilder would respond to that moment because there are two ways to take a lose, Grant's career died in that moment but that doesn't have to happen if a guy doesn't let it because a guy can come back better than ever.

Also having followed his whole career if he even gets to the big fight with Wlad I think you would have to call his career a success. Not a lot of people saw him getting to that sort of spot, so if that is where he falls I don't think anyone could be upset at that.
          Yeah, he has done impressively for someone who started boxing aged 19. But, on another hand, it's always the heavyweights that have the leeway to be able to be a late starter and still be successful, as the power they get from their physical bulk can override deficiencies in skill which are simply not as possible in the lower weight classes. Look at Joshua as well - started at 18, won a gold medal...same with Wilder aged 19...the fact is there isn't many heavyweights out there - true heavies - and you are almost never going to see someone who started boxing in their late teens be in the Olympic squad in the lower weight classes.

Comment

Yeah, he has done impressively for someone who started boxing aged 19. But, on another hand, it's always the heavyweights that have the leeway to be able to be a late starter and still be successful, as the power they get from their physical bulk can override deficiencies in skill which are simply not as possible in the lower weight classes. Look at Joshua as well - started at 18, won a gold medal...same with Wilder aged 19...the fact is there isn't many heavyweights out there - true heavies - and you are almost never going to see someone who started boxing in their late teens be in the Olympic squad in the lower weight classes.
            Yea he has those things that you can't teach which make him very hard to deal with. If he knew how to properly use every ounce of his talent dude would be almost unstoppable but he has a long way to go in that regard.

That is a huge difference between heavy and the rest of boxing really, the rest of boxing are essentially even physical contests that are tests of skill. Heavy is a test of physicality most often, skills do play a role but without the physical tools to apply a skillset it is very hard to win.

Plus smaller classes are a lot about speed because that is a huge separating factor in terms of punches that will land. However given the dangers at heavy from even an average puncher range is a much safer form of getting of with impunity. Speed goes away with time while range really does not so heavies especially long ones like Wilder or Joshua for that matter can take their sweet time. Only problem is when they run into a guy can can touch them when and where they are not used to getting touched.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
              Yea he has those things that you can't teach which make him very hard to deal with. If he knew how to properly use every ounce of his talent dude would be almost unstoppable but he has a long way to go in that regard.

That is a huge difference between heavy and the rest of boxing really, the rest of boxing are essentially even physical contests that are tests of skill. Heavy is a test of physicality most often, skills do play a role but without the physical tools to apply a skillset it is very hard to win.

Plus smaller classes are a lot about speed because that is a huge separating factor in terms of punches that will land. However given the dangers at heavy from even an average puncher range is a much safer form of getting of with impunity. Speed goes away with time while range really does not so heavies especially long ones like Wilder or Joshua for that matter can take their sweet time. Only problem is when they run into a guy can can touch them when and where they are not used to getting touched.
              Wilder v Joshua can be interesting down the line.

Comment

No, I disagree. Klits can't handle aggressive fighters too well, and Deontay Wilder will bring aggressiveness with power. If Deontay keeps jabbing the way he does against Stiverne and add some body attack to his game, he will be unbeatable for a while. Everytime I see him he looks better. Remember he's learning on the job. Grant has no heart, however, I don't see that with Deontay. With Deontay, I see a man searching for his place in history, a man who takes his critics very seriously and is very hungry. With Grant, at times, he would checked out of a fight as if he doesn't want to be there. Michael Grant, Jermaine Taylor and Chad Dawson are the same time of fighters--a mentality that just doesn't measure up to their boxing potential.

Comment

Agree/disagree?

Wlad wins right now. Whether it's like Lewis-Grant remains to be seen.

As for Golota I don't agree that's a better win than Stiverne because Golota had no heart and quit. Not the case with Stiverne who took monstrous shots and kept trying to fight.

Golota would have never finished that fight last night.taking those punches.

Comment

Great thread topic!

Very similar in how they are/were percieved. Also like Grant Wilder has a lot of holes in his game. Like Grant one of these holes could get him blasted....With Grant it was his lack of movement, with Wilder it is where his weight is when he is setting up, he tends to be squared up, instead of having weight back a bit more....Making his head always accesible. both guys need help on defense.

I think Wilder could do a lot more for himself because he can move. He could first resolve to throw more punches, learn to properly go to the body and fight inside and throw that jab hard ALL the time. Grant by comparison was not really capable of moving in the ring athletically.

I also think Lewis was a lot better, a lot more underestimated than Vlad is. ironickly enough, if Wilder carries the same confidance, which was false confidance with Grant (when he faced Lewis) and goes after Vlad with a high punch count, closes the distance quickly with his jab and gets off some hard shots....I think he might be more of a threat to Vlad than Grant was to Lewis.

Comment

Working...
                    X