Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your take on the phantom punch of ali liston 2?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your take on the phantom punch of ali liston 2?

I was watching a documentary on you tube about george chavalo and he was supposed to fight liston if he won. I know there was a punch but did it really knock liston out?

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    I was watching a documentary on you tube about george chavalo and he was supposed to fight liston if he won. I know there was a punch but did it really knock liston out?
    For years I was sure that Sonny went into the tank. But as time passes, I'm not as sure. One thing that caught my eye a few years ago was seeing Liston stumble after the fight had been stopped. No reason he would have faked that.

Comment

Beautiful.

Comment

You can see Ali himself saying something like "he laid down" in the ring right afterward. That should be the most telling thing, his people had to convince him it was legit.

Comment

i ALWAYS felt it was legit if you look close you can see the snap as it hits and the impact in listons neck and his back leg kicks up , i think it was just a lightning quick perfectly timed shot that caught him right jumping in , just my opinion.

Comment

I believe Liston was caught cold by a punch that in his prime would have had no effect. I believe it was legit but if anyone believes otherwise I could understand.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
              I believe Liston was caught cold by a punch that in his prime would have had no effect. I believe it was legit but if anyone believes otherwise I could understand.
              Liston took a dive.
              Where did Ali's "phantom punch " disappear to in his next 40 fights? Most of these were points wins or late stoppages, surely the phantom punch which flattened(?) Liston would have been put to good use?
              In Ali's 61 fights he had only two 1 round kos-Liston & Robinson, 1-2-0(his 4th pro fight). He was definitely not a one punch ko fighter.
              In Listons' 54 fights he was knocked out twice,by Ali(?) and Martin.
              The "phantom punch" doesn't fit the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by damuttz112 View Post

Beautiful.
                I really think it was a dive. He had the presence of mind to land on his hands,roll over and then stay on his back for 10? It just doesn't look right

Comment

At the time I thought it was a dive.

I was very young and everyone thought it was a dive. Everyone.

Looking back, with better quality camera's and slow motion etc, I don't think it was a dive but it doesn't look like the kind of punch that Liston would take a 10 count from. But, you never know, the punch that you don't see is the one that hurts you.

Comment

Your take on the phantom punch

First of all, that was no phantom punch!

My only question is the awkward way Sonny rolled over on his back.

I believe he was going to stay down but changed his mind, got up and was defending himself when the fight was stopped.

Comment

Working...
                    X