No announcement yet.

Don't Drive in the Dominican if you play baseball

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Drive in the Dominican if you play baseball

Kansas City Royals pitcher Yordano Ventura and former major leaguer Andy Marte died in separate traffic accidents early Sunday in their native Dominican Republic.

Two other active Dominican baseball players have died on the country's dangerous highways in recent years.
    St. Louis Cardinal outfielder Oscar Taveras died in 2014 when he crashed in his hometown of Puerto Plata. He was 22. Shortstop Andujar Cedeno died at age 31 in a 2000 crash in the city of La Romana.

That's 4, and counting. The Dominican Republic had the highest traffic accident death rate in the Americas, with a rate of 29.3 per 100,000 inhabitants.

Man, don't drive there if you're on vacation!

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
    Kansas City Royals pitcher Yordano Ventura and former major leaguer Andy Marte died in separate traffic accidents early Sunday in their native Dominican Republic.

Two other active Dominican baseball players have died on the country's dangerous highways in recent years.
    St. Louis Cardinal outfielder Oscar Taveras died in 2014 when he crashed in his hometown of Puerto Plata. He was 22. Shortstop Andujar Cedeno died at age 31 in a 2000 crash in the city of La Romana.

That's 4, and counting. The Dominican Republic had the highest traffic accident death rate in the Americas, with a rate of 29.3 per 100,000 inhabitants.

Man, don't drive there if you're on vacation!
    Mission accepted

Comment

Yea Dominicans can't drive worth shit. Driving in Washington Heights and Inwood is a huge pain in the ass

-Kev-

Comment

wasnt he drunk though

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
          wasnt he drunk though

Probably...there is no law prohibiting drinking while driving in the DR. They have little road-side shacks everywhere that sell booze all along the highway where everyone stops and buys rum or beer for the drive...and then throw the empties out the window while driving. I lived there for a couple of years and I'm not kidding. Sometimes a cow or bull will decide to cross the highway at night and it's pretty dark and hard to see. I knew a guy who hit one with a van and was lucky to survive...the bull ended up inside the van. Everything is more than just a little different there. You can smoke in the hospitals and no one will even look twice at you.

Comment

Anyone who dares drives in DR is stupid. There are no traffic lights in a lot of areas there. It's every man and woman for themselves. Anyone I knew who died at a young age, died from a car/motorcycle/moped accident. Rarely I hear someone got shot or stabbed, usually it's traffic related.

Comment

Besides these ball players are getting drunk and drugged up and doing stupid ****, wtf? The Cuban pitcher Jose Fernandez was drunk and had cocaine in his system when he died in the boat accident in Florida.

Comment

Same thing happened to Oscar Taveras

Comment

The problem is speeding just because they got a fast car with little regards for safety. I know in DR people drive like bumper cars, wanting to crash with whoever but I believe this was at night and he was alone so he prob took a curve a little too fast. Its a shame and a problem, when are these baseball players from DR gonna break the stereotype.

Comment

Working...
                  X