No announcement yet.

"Events" that changed the course of boxing history

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Events" that changed the course of boxing history

Was thinking about some "what if" scenarios today and how crazy the world of boxing would have ended up if these things had or hadn't happened. some that came to mind were:

Lennox retiring: Had this not happened we either would have had lewis retire having defeated "just another big european" or we would have seen a passing of the lineal title to Vitali.

Tyson going to jail: would have seen tyson v holyfield in their primes and possibly tyson lewis very early. probably a few other fights

Wlad keeping his composure during the Sam Peter: this was the make or break fight for Wlad. The heavy scene would look very different right now had wlad kept going down.

What other events that were close to happening/not happening can you guys think of that would have changed things? (btw its just a coincidence that the events i picked were in the heavyweight division)

Ali's conviction being overturned
    (No Muhammed post conviction, meaning no Frazier, Norton, or Foreman fight)

Foreman Losing to Ali
    (Would Muhammad ever recover?)

Marciano Retiring
    (If he stayed a little longer he could've met Floyd Patterson and possibly Sonny Liston. If he beat Floyd, would Sonny meet him?)

Comment

Louis-conn 1, conn dances out the last couple rounds just countering sharply when in a safe position takes the crown and Louis incredible championship run is well not so incredible. same scenario with larry holmes v either renaldo snipes or earnie shavers 2, more cautious ref mighta stopped either fight and holmes would just b another champ maybe never even make the big moneywith coony. now that i think about it, witherspoon had holmes on queer street too. one more, ibeabuchi gets a different hooker and continues toward a title shot. in retrospect, imo he beats holyfield but not lewis but just if he woulda got a shot at holyfield and won it, the chronology of the heavyweight crowns woulda been bent up a bit

Comment

If that judge scored the first round of Pacquiao-Marquez I 10-6 like he should have done, the whole series could have and probably would have been different.

Comment

Originally posted by CHEECH View Post
          Louis-conn 1, conn dances out the last couple rounds just countering sharply when in a safe position takes the crown and Louis incredible championship run is well not so incredible. same scenario with larry holmes v either renaldo snipes or earnie shavers 2, more cautious ref mighta stopped either fight and holmes would just b another champ maybe never even make the big moneywith coony. now that i think about it, witherspoon had holmes on queer street too. one more, ibeabuchi gets a different hooker and continues toward a title shot. in retrospect, imo he beats holyfield but not lewis but just if he woulda got a shot at holyfield and won it, the chronology of the heavyweight crowns woulda been bent up a bit
          Larry could dominate a fight but be hit by big right hands , his recovery against snipes shavers and witherspoon just showed his championship heart.

Comment

If Kim wouldn't have passed away after the fight with Boom Boom Mancini, would we still have 15 round fights?

If they hadn't stopped Vitali vs Lewis, would Vitali have won, would he have permanent damage and his career ended. Would Lewis have taken over the rest of the fight?

Comment

Originally posted by DIB42 View Post
              If Kim wouldn't have passed away after the fight with Boom Boom Mancini, would we still have 15 round fights?

If they hadn't stopped Vitali vs Lewis, would Vitali have won, would he have permanent damage and his career ended. Would Lewis have taken over the rest of the fight?
              I believe that they wanted to go to 12 rounds for awhile. The tragedy just gave them an excuse. 12 round fights are a lot easier to shoehorn into a hour, which is what TV networks prefer.

Vitali was only halfway through the fight and his eye looked terrible. Having the fight stopped was the best thing that could have realistically happened for him. He hasn't lost a fight since so obviously his career survived it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                I believe that they wanted to go to 12 rounds for awhile. The tragedy just gave them an excuse. 12 round fights are a lot easier to shoehorn into a hour, which is what TV networks prefer.
                I imagine so. Either way, there had been deaths before and deaths after (dangerous sport and whatnot) So inevitably it would have been reduced to 12 rounds.

I miss those last 3 rounds though . . .

Comment

Imagine if Tyson stayed with Rooney, never signed with Don King and stayed away from Robin Givens.

Comment

Originally posted by Growth View Post
                    Imagine if Tyson stayed with Rooney, never signed with Don King and stayed away from Robin Givens.
                    I don't think it would have turned out as different as most people think.

Comment

Working...
                    X