Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighting in the ring, 90% mental/10% physical?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think Brewster was speaking literally when he said that...an incredibly mentally strong fighter who only possesses 10% of the physical stamina and strength of his opponent will gas before the other guy breaks a sweat and will be in dire trouble.

Comment

Well, it sounds good, but realistically that's BS.

90% physical.

Comment

I'd go as far as to say that boxing is 98% physical, and 2% mental. In almost every fight, the guy who is more skilled and is in better condition is going to win.

Personally, I've never lost to a guy who was less skilled than me... and I've never beaten a guy who was more skilled than me.

Comment

No way the fighters we see rise to the top are the ones that are physically gifted. A mental advantage will put them over the edge when they are facing equal competition.

Comment

I think the only "mental edge" you need is aggression...that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeBrah View Post
              I think the only "mental edge" you need is aggression...that's about it.
              To be fair we see a lot of fighters crumble mentally in a fight when they face some adversity

Comment

ANY combat sport is obviously more mental then physical. Anybody who's been involved in some form of combat sport knows that.Training hard is easy ,but if you're mentally unprepared on fight night , good luck.

Comment

I guess Lamon Brewster's mental/physical state must have been 91/9 % or less physically for his rematch with Wlad because it looked like Wlad's physicality was to much for his mental strength...so much for that theory.

Comment

Everything that your mind conjurs up to do in a ring will require an able body to pull off any of the precise actions.

The body becomes fatigued and the mind begins to cloud and becomes disorientated, but your body carries on.

Know there was time spent in the ring that I don't remember, I drove myself home and went to bed. The only way that I knew that I drove myself home was when I got out of my bed to find the morning sun shining off of my car in the parking lot. I had no memory of the drive home nor did I have memories of the sparring the night before, it's all a black out.

As I put my running shoes on for my morning run I still couldn't find the lost time. I do recall Johnny being pleased with the work some how, even though I couldn't recall 1 second of the sparring. I stretch myself as I think, I must have been running on auto pilot during the sparring. Generally when that happened it was always told to me that I was extremely aggressive in the warring. I found that when hurt I fought back, hard, trying to inflict double the damage that my opponent may have put on me.

I don't know what happened through that time. I would find it hard to imagine that I was "thinking" during that lost time in the ring. There are plenty of times when thinking just isn't an option in the ring, you just gotta fight/react............Rockin'
                    Last edited by Rockin'; 09-30-2012, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by *Boss* View Post
                      ANY combat sport is obviously more mental then physical. Anybody who's been involved in some form of combat sport knows that.Training hard is easy ,but if you're mentally unprepared on fight night , good luck.
                      Or knowing transitions, picking up habits, knowing when he's adapting to you or when you should be adapting to him. People don't see it if they aren't in tune with the sport and it's nuances. Everyone sees how JCC Jr. Get's spanked by Sergio Martinez but they don't see is that every time JCC Jr tries to change things up Sergio is already a step ahead of him.

Comment

Working...
                      X