Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glen Johnson vs Past ATG LHW Fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He gets f'ed up. Glen Johnson's a tough fighter but his only claim to fame is knocking out a washed up Roy Jones. What exactly has he done other than that?

He'll give some of these ATGs an uncomfortable time but he isn't on par with any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
      Nope... Because no one ever brings Woods into play, do they?... And now poor old Glenn's getting disrespected, cos boxing maths doesn't work out!!
      Well... They only had 3 fights, so I suppose there's no common ground then...
      I like Glenn, & could name at least a dozen LH's he could beat, but it aint the guys you put up...
      I agree that Woods gave him a lot of trouble although I think Johnson got the best of that "trilogy". I seriously can't see Woods giving much of a run to the men that had been previously mentioned.

It's not really an insult to Johnson's abilities that he couldn't beat any of these great light heavyweights.

I think he has some underrated ability, at his best he was not the "plodder" that he is made out to be, had an effective if not the most textbook jab, counter punched well with the right hand, doubled up on the left hook and used good head movement and blocking to avoid most of the punishment.

Highlight:

Comment

sadd muhamed would of stopped glen inside 8 rounds it has been done before by hopkins, and omar sheika dropped him and in his prime sadd was a freak of nature, Conteh would of boxed rings around glen beating him on points, Bobby czyz would of beat glen with out much trouble, glen is very over rated, teddy atlas put it best when he said cos glen is old he expects to get the nod in every close fight, also i think glen johnson against prince charles williams is a toss up
        Last edited by cotto16; 07-24-2009, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
          I agree that Woods gave him a lot of trouble although I think Johnson got the best of that "trilogy". I seriously can't see Woods giving much of a run to the men that had been previously mentioned.

It's not really an insult to Johnson's abilities that he couldn't beat any of these great light heavyweights.

I think he has some underrated ability, at his best he was not the "plodder" that he is made out to be, had an effective if not the most textbook jab, counter punched well with the right hand, doubled up on the left hook and used good head movement and blocking to avoid most of the punishment.

Highlight:

I do to... But most people tend to laugh whenever Woods gets mentioned.. I'm kinda saying, 'What about his respect?'.... I see plenty of respect for Johnson, yours & mine included, but Woods (Johnsons Frazier) gets Jack **** from anyone on these threads, & people rap on about respect.. Makes me smile sometimes, that's all...

Comment

I do to... But most people tend to laugh whenever Woods gets mentioned.. I'm kinda saying, 'What about his respect?'.... I see plenty of respect for Johnson, yours & mine included, but Woods (Johnsons Frazier) gets Jack **** from anyone on these threads, & people rap on about respect.. Makes me smile sometimes, that's all...
            I think he let a lot of people down with his performance against Tarver. Tarver was there to be taken but he refused to press the fight and practically gave it away.

Woods has a chance to redeem himself against top LHW contender Tavoris Cloud but he might just be getting too old now.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
              He gets f'ed up. Glen Johnson's a tough fighter but his only claim to fame is knocking out a washed up Roy Jones. What exactly has he done other than that?

He'll give some of these ATGs an uncomfortable time but he isn't on par with any of them.
              besides beating a 2004 roy jones. glen has beat a prime antonio tarver, clinton woods, montell griffin, eric harding. comeback in this discussuion when you know something about glen.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                I feel Maxim would be too wily and crafty, Conteh too quick and talented, Muhammad even stronger and tougher. Prime Galindez is a bit underrated himself, he was much more consistent than Johnson in his prime and had a good reign.

This is prime for prime though, Johnson has a chance of upsetting them if they're not at their best.

He could beat the Saad Muhammad who had gone through many wars and was physically worn out.

He could beat the Conteh who was suffering from hand injuries and could only use his left.

He could beat the washed up Maxim who later on didn't try to win as much as he tried to survive.
                Well actually maxim could blow hot and cold and this was in his prime aswell. woundt be a surprise if glen beat him on his best day.

i think he could of beat a pre injury hand conteh. Eddie Duncan, Mate Parlov done it and Jorge Victor Ahumada took him to a SD. Conteh was good in his prime, but a very winnable fight for glen.

Comment

But this isnt a clinton woods thread. END OF! and glen beat him should have all 3 wins ove him, but to due clinton being in his hometown he was given ''hometown'' decisions with the win and draw he got.

Comment

Originally posted by St Lion View Post
                    But this isnt a clinton woods thread. END OF! and glen beat him should have all 3 wins ove him, but to due clinton being in his hometown he was given ''hometown'' decisions with the win and draw he got.
                    Granted.. But try doing a thread on Gatti, Frazier, Norton or Duran without Ward, Ali or Leonard coming into it.. Just a hypathetical example, but true, nevertheless.. Sometimes it doesn't pay to try & convince people that one of your favs is better than he actually is.. That's when bias comes into it.. I've been guilty of it myself.. Agreed, that Glen won the 1st 2, but he clearly lost no3 in my opinion...

Comment

i think glen vs Qawi would have been a war!!

dwight qawi is one you forgot.

Comment

Working...
                      X