No announcement yet.

Hacksaw Ridge deserves to win the Oscar for Best Picture

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the movie really that good?

The trailer looked really tacky with middling cgi and knowing the real history behind it the movie looked way too embellished. I hate that in so called true stories plus garfield is terrible.

The best movies over the last year have been rogue one and deadpool. I think 10 cloverfield lane also released in that time. Nne of these got nominations... Kinda obvious they wouldn't lol

La La land will win tho.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post

The best movies over the last year have been rogue one and deadpool.
      Deadpool sucked ass bro. That **** wasn't even as good as batman vs superman and that's saying something.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Counter View Post
        Deadpool sucked ass bro. That **** wasn't even as good as batman vs superman and that's saying something.
        opinions eh? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dixie Normis View Post
          Did you catch Son of Saul a few years ago? Practically no one heard of it because its a foreign film but it is really good and got awesome reviews but kind of slipped under the radar. You should check it out.
          I hadn't heard of it before, but I'll check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by B.UTLER View Post
            I'm impressed with Andrew Garfield acting. I also saw him on Scorsese's film about Christian persecution in Japan. Another "true" story.

As for HR, it was ok. I tend view this "true" story as exaggerated. He may have saved 75 people but I don't think it went exactly like that in the movie. Like he's the only one up there getting all the injured and bringing them down all the while avoiding all the Japs. Really? Is that exactly what happened?
            It happened. All that was really changed some personal stuff about his wife and father.

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/re...hacksaw-ridge/

How close did Desmond Doss come to being killed or wounded while rescuing 75 of his fellow soldiers?

The real Desmond Doss considers it a miracle that he made it off the ridge on Okinawa. "When you have explosions and bursts so close you can practically feel it, and not get wounded up there when I should have been killed a number of times. I know who I owe my life to as well as my men. That's why I like to tell this story to the glory of God, because I know from the human standpoint, I should not be here." The true story reveals that he spent 12 hours up on the ridge rescuing the men, averaging one man every 10 minutes. - Medal of Honor: Oral Histories

Did they put the final assault to take the ridge on hold while Desmond read his Bible?

Yes. The final assault to take the Maeda Escarpment happened on the morning of May 5, 1945, a Saturday, the day of Sabbath, which the Fourth Commandment says should be devoted to prayer. Given that Desmond was the only medic left in B Company, he agreed to go but requested that he first be given time to read his Bible. The delay was approved up the chain of command and the assault was put on hold until Desmond finished his devotions. That day, the 307th Infantry Regiment of the 77th Infantry Division overtook Hacksaw Ridge for good. - The Conscientious Objector Documentary

Did Desmond T. Doss nearly get blown up by a hand grenade?

Yes. On the night of May 21, 1945, just a half mile past the escarpment on Okinawa, Desmond's unit inadvertently walked into a company of Japanese soldiers. The unit engaged in hand-to-hand combat with the enemy and Desmond scrambled to treat the wounded. "They begin to throw these hand grenades," recalled Desmond. "I saw it comin'. There was three other men in the hole with me. They were on the lower side, but I was on the other side lookin' when they threw the thing. I knew there was no way I could get at it. So I just quickly took my left foot and threw it back to where I thought the grenade might be, and throw my head and helmet to the ground. And not more than half a second later, I felt like I was sailin' through the air. I was seein' stars I wasn't supposed to be seein', and I knew my legs and body were blown up." The blast left 17 pieces of shrapnel embedded in Desmond's body, mostly in his legs. - The Conscientious Objector Documentary

Did the real Desmond Doss get shot by a Japanese sniper?

Yes. Director Mel Gibson decided to leave this out of the movie because he felt audiences would find the heroic circumstances under which it happened too hard to believe, especially after Desmond had just taken the blunt of a grenade blast to save his fellow soldiers. After the grenade left him with 17 pieces of shrapnel stuck in him, Desmond waited for five hours until fellow soldier Ralph Baker was able to reach him. Baker, along with a few other men, carried Desmond on a litter (stretcher) through an intense enemy tank attack. As they were carrying him, he saw a guy on the ground badly wounded. Desmond rolled off the stretcher and crawled over to patch the man up. Desmond gave up his stretcher to the man, but while waiting for help to come back, he was wounded again, this time by a sniper's bullet that shattered his left arm. He fashioned a splint out of a rifle stock and crawled the remaining 300 yards under fire, eventually reaching the safety of an aid station. He was transported to the hospital ship Mercy. - The Conscientious Objector Documentary

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              Is the movie really that good?

The trailer looked really tacky with middling cgi and knowing the real history behind it the movie looked way too embellished.
              Battle scenes were not embellished. It shows what really happened - the battle scenes were realistic and very graphic.
              I hate that in so called true stories plus Garfield is terrible.
              I never liked him before, but he performed brilliantly in this movie.

I hope he wins the Best Actor Oscar he's been nominated for.

Comment

no, The handmaiden is THE best movie.. of course it would never get nom, but it also got snubbed from best foreign film smh

Comment

HR was one of the best movies I've seen in a while. And the true story was even more action packed, they actually toned the movie down a bit so audiences would believe it. One thing is for sure, God loved Him some Desmond Doss.

Comment

Originally posted by BrushMyHair. View Post
                    Black Hawk Down is the greatest war movie ever.
                    I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by B.UTLER View Post
                      I'm impressed with Andrew Garfield acting. I also saw him on Scorsese's film about Christian persecution in Japan. Another "true" story.
                      I saw that too, that was a good movie. I didn't like him because of his hippy metrosexual performance in spiderman, but he's impressed me with these two movies.

Comment

Working...
                      X