Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gerrit Cole signs with New York Yankees for 9 years, $324 million

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's good to see a man with a mullet can still make a little bread around here.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      Record setting deal for a pitcher. The prior record was just broken yesterday by the Nationals signing Strasberg for 7 years, $245 million. Cole and the Yankees just broke that record a day later with this. I'm glad for this, the Yankees have been so cheap and stingy in the past couple of years allowing all the superstars to sign with other teams.
      - -Canelo got $365 mil for 11 games...errr fights.

And he goes the distance, something your modern coddled Candyboys can't do!

Comment

There’s always the what if’s with these contracts.

It affects bad teams more though. Angels are a good example of a bad team handing out hundreds of millions of dollars to players with no WS or playoff spot to show for. $430 million for Trout for 12 years (an absolute bargain but not wise for the Angels), $240m for 10 years for a then 32 year old Pujols, $106m/5 years for Upton. Teams like the Angels need to rebuild like the Rays do. $53m payroll for the Rays 2019 season and they made it to the playoffs.

Usually when a good team does it (a big contract) it will bring them at least one WS. Last time they gave a pitcher a large contract was their last ace in his prime, CC Sabathia. They won a WS that same year, 2009. They’ve been a playoff team for the last decade, but not a true WS team. Cole is the ace they were missing.
        Originally posted by Lomadeaux View Post
        You should be pretty embarrassed that your team did that. NO player is worth that money. Every big deal that has happened has been a mistake.
        Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
        Anthony Rendon -
        http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/stats...anthony-rendon

35mil per for 7 yrs.....I don't see it.
        these deals seem stupid to me, lol the Angels and the Yanks are throwing away money. signing Wheeler for $118 m for 4 years is stupid too, he's not really proven that he's been that good. rendon has one exceptional year at 30 years old and he gets a huge payday, my guess is next year he won't be playing very well. cole is awesome, but eventually he will struggle too

Comment

A pitcher hangs out until his turn? Lol.

A pitcher has to work everyday. They have to work out and keep their arm strong. Throwing 90+ mph balls is taxing, that’s why pitchers aren’t expected to last as long as position players. And after a game they pitch, they have to keep their arm cool and get it to heal for the next start.

Even in the offseason, there isn’t a lot of time for vacation. They have to get back to work asap.
          They can't work everyday. And what they consider ''work'' is pretty much the least strenuous of all work. They have a pitch count to protect their fragile arms. No one has it as easy as a pitcher in the AL. Maybe NFL punters and kickers come close.

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
            these deals seem stupid to me, lol the Angels and the Yanks are throwing away money. signing Wheeler for $118 m for 4 years is stupid too, he's not really proven that he's been that good. rendon has one exceptional year at 30 years old and he gets a huge payday, my guess is next year he won't be playing very well. cole is awesome, but eventually he will struggle too
            Those of you who have sons.....Sign them up to Lil Leagues.

Comment

I’d have been embarrassed if they lost him to the Dodgers or Angels. It would have been yet another top player they allowed to walk. I’m glad they got him tbh.
              I'm a Dodger guy and I'd of been pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vodkaholic View Post
                Seriously, that boringass sport easily could have a bigger compilation of bored fans in the stands than football, basketball and soccer combined. Yet those dudes get paid really good.
                Baseball is gay like op
                It sucks watching it on tv but I went to a live major league game last year and had a blast. I hear the same about hockey as well so I'm looking to go to a live game.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                  It sucks watching it on tv but I went to a live major league game last year and had a blast. I hear the same about hockey as well so I'm looking to go to a live game.
                  I went to a game when i was little. I dont think it was a big game but that **** was boring as ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomadeaux View Post
                    I'm a Dodger guy and I'd of been pissed.
                    You could use a guy like Cole who can pitch in the postseason. He has a career 2.60 ERA in the playoffs. Your ace Kershaw is a cy young pitcher in the regular season and then a bust at the postseason with a career 4.43 ERA. Just never had it in him to pitch well in the postseason.

Dodgers offered Cole $300mill, 8 years. That’s $37.5mill a year. They lost him to the Yankees over a measly 1 year and $24 million more. These big market owners are billionaires. These contracts do not hurt them as much as fans believe. And contracts are ensured in case of injuries.

Mark Walter, the CEO of the company that owns the LAD, is worth $3.4 billion. The company that owns the Dodgers is worth $290 billion dollars. $324million may have tickled their wallets, so there would have been no need for you to be pissed.

The Steinbrenners are worth $4billion dollars. In 2018 the Yankees made over $650million dollars in revenue. That was more than triple their team payroll of $192million.

In 2018 the Dodgers made $550million in revenue. Their payroll that year was $177million. So their revenue was also more than triple their payroll.

Big market teams like the Yankees and Dodgers aren’t hurt by these large contracts. That’s why they keep offering them. They are more hurt by the luxury tax threshold. If there was no luxury tax, Yankees and Dodgers would have yearly payrolls of $300million, because they know the revenue is there to cover it.

A pitcher like Cole makes a big difference for already-well rounded teams like the Yankees and Dodgers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                      I'm the exact opposite.

All the comforts and amenities that a stadium can't supply....at 1/4 the price.

You have the best views, commentators, no traffic, no strangers.....and you can't beat the price.

And if the shlt is boring, you can watch anything else.

Comment

Working...
                      X