No announcement yet.

Hours Put In - Then and Now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hours Put In - Then and Now?

Just for some gauge and idea, how many hours do/did you put into boxing? If you're not new to this, how much have you progressed (hours wise) into boxing over the time you've been in?

Example - Then (2015) - 2 hrs a week, Now - 6 hrs a week.

I know everyone is different, our goals, abilities (mental and physical), and everything else in-between, but I generally wanted an idea of where everyone else started at and where they eventually got themselves.

Sorry, saw there's another thread similar to this from awhile back.
    Disregard!

Comment

Originally posted by cv808 View Post
      Sorry, saw there's another thread similar to this from awhile back.
      Disregard!
      No problem brother.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        No problem brother.
        Lol, I'm not a guy. I'm actually a female. Though, I'd probably deal with a lot less stress if I were to never admit that on a boxing forum. None-the-less, thanks! Not sure how to delete threads or I'd have deleted this one by now.

Comment

6hrs a week is pretty good if you're doing this to stay in shape. Really depends on what exactly your doing during this 1 hour per day (assumption, you might being doing 2hrs three times a week). Either way, if it's too much or too little, your body will let you know. Usually when I get to rest day, my body is ready for that, and I feel pretty refreshed after a day off.
          I do about 8hrs per week with a couple days of hour long sparring sessions. The rest of the time is a mix of cardio, general exercise (abs/strength training) and boxing skills. I try to alternate exercises at least every day....not do the exact same two days in a row. This way your not overworking any one thing and you can do more without breaking down.

Comment

When I was training fighters and training myself, I would put in a 90-minute workout 5 days per week (sometimes 6) and then train amateurs for another 90 minutes. I spent a lot of time in the gym, but I loved it. Today, I spend much less time because I'm no longer in the ring sparring or competing, so I don't need to put my body through unnecessary strain. Now, I do about a 12 round (3 minute rounds, 1 minute rest) workout that includes 4 rounds on heavy bag, 3 or 4 rounds on speed bag, 2 or 3 rounds skipping rope, and a round or two of shadow boxing. I do some stationary bike or hike/walk a few miles. I hate running, so I no longer run if I don't have to.

Comment

I put in 3-5 hrs a week of training with my coach.
              However, I do other things/workouts throughout the week. I usually work out 6 days a week, admitting that there are days I don't go as hard as I could and should, but I still go.

I really should start putting in time at home to work on my shadowboxing and footwork. Maybe finally start skipping rope...

Ultimately, I just wanted to gauge if I'm at least doing the bare minimum to get me where I need to be and eventually build up to more rigorous hours and conditioning.

Comment

I put in 3-5 hrs a week of training with my coach.
                However, I do other things/workouts throughout the week. I usually work out 6 days a week, admitting that there are days I don't go as hard as I could and should, but I still go.

I really should start putting in time at home to work on my shadowboxing and footwork. Maybe finally start skipping rope...

Ultimately, I just wanted to gauge if I'm at least doing the bare minimum to get me where I need to be and eventually build up to more rigorous hours and conditioning.
                Is your goal to compete in the ring? Or just to lose weight or achieve a certain level of cardio? You also have to be careful not to over train.

Comment

Not sure. I really wasn't looking to ever compete, it's something my coach brought up just yesterday actually, seeing if I'd ever want in the ring. I just like boxing... I can't explain it beyond that. I like going to the boxing gym.

I like training with my coach, and most days its 1 - 1 1/2 hours (M, W, F), unless my coach wants to go hard, then we go hard.

I am very new. I'm not over training (I think?). I do more... feminine things on the side to balance the masculine with the feminine. I don't want to look like a pro female boxer to be completely honest (not sure if that's horrible to say?).

Comment

Not sure. I really wasn't looking to ever compete, it's something my coach brought up just yesterday actually, seeing if I'd ever want in the ring. I just like boxing... I can't explain it beyond that. I like going to the boxing gym.

I like training with my coach, and most days its 1 - 1 1/2 hours (M, W, F), unless my coach wants to go hard, then we go hard.

I am very new. I'm not over training (I think?). I do more... feminine things on the side to balance the masculine with the feminine. I don't want to look like a pro female boxer to be completely honest (not sure if that's horrible to say?).
                    usually if you're over training, some type of injury will pop up and let you know. This is your body telling you you're doing too much. Recovery days are important and also hard days/light days. Id say you're on a good track, doing boxing with your coach and other stuff on the days in between to keep your conditioning up. Jump rope and running are good for boxing. There's some good free instruction out there online which I like to use. Precision striking - check out his guided shadow boxing workout (been using this a couple times a week) and all the other stuff he has. Expert boxing is also a good one too with tons of info and instruction. Good luck on your boxing journey

Comment

Working...
                    X