Forum Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 02-09-2020, 12:55 PM #11
05-

Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
BKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,622.21
Total Points: 33,482.14
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy New Year Bro, All the bet for 2016 - Rocky... Happy 10 years - HughJass Elite Counter-Insurgent - //// No Message - King Krusher 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony342 View Post
Speaking of unrealistic, you probably know that Stallone knew he was heavily criticized for how unrealistic the fight scenes looked in the Rocky movies, so he and Antonio Tarver hit each other for real in Rocky Balboa, albeit probably pulled punches. Talking about suffering for one's art though. Fans are also speculating if they do another movie whether Rocky dies or not or if they keep him around.
Sly is an intelligent man but those antics weren't. I heard he did the same with Dolph Lundgren, Roberto Duran and even Earnie Shavers one of the hardest punchers ever.

About Rocky dying, I don't want to see it but I fear that they will kill him off finally. What other direction can they go after Creed 2? With the way they brilliant added the Drago characters. I don't think a new opponent could garner the drama and attention that the last one made, very difficult to outdo this. Maybe they can bring the Drago's back for a trilogy, but I'm afraid the only hype left for another Creed movie would be the death of Rocky.
BKM- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:08 PM #12
North America Runs Boxing

Quoted: 15887 Post(s)
ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 353,827.19
Total Points: 457,143.74
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 
valuable advice to training forum - jas Thanks for the green man,I should have won poster of the year,but the site is in denial.bitches huh ? - Scott-Weiland All in .&w - BERNIE'S CORNER Phone spazzed on gift giving. Can't green ya but have this beer on me. All in good fun ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Easily one of the best posters on the forum - JK1700 
Good thread and comments - maracho A truce - lfc19titles A truce - lfc19titles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKM- View Post
Sly is an intelligent man but those antics weren't. I heard he did the same with Dolph Lundgren, Roberto Duran and even Earnie Shavers one of the hardest punchers ever.

About Rocky dying, I don't want to see it but I fear that they will kill him off finally. What other direction can they go after Creed 2? With the way they brilliant added the Drago characters. I don't think a new opponent could garner the drama and attention that the last one made, very difficult to outdo this. Maybe they can bring the Drago's back for a trilogy, but I'm afraid the only hype left for another Creed movie would be the death of Rocky.
They can explore Clubber Lang's backstory and legacy and have his son be involved somehow.

Maybe even have Mr. T himself appear in the film.
ShoulderRoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:56 AM #13
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 834 Post(s)
HeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 249,627.24
Total Points: 253,604.70
Actually made me laugh. Thanks for crackin me up - CauliflowerEars Thanks for the kind words - Chollo Vista 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMoney View Post
The first Rocky movie was a great film, the likes of which major studios won’t make today. It comes off as an indy film as it explores th lives of average individuals one of which has been given an extraordinary opportunity. The protagonist is somewhat dimwitted, but not as a punchline, and there isnt some big social message. Its not even really about boxing, its about people who arent really seen as much in society, and how this unique opportunity helped them grow. Im not an artsy film type of guy, but the original Rocky was a great film.

Two tried to replicate that, but kinda missed the mark. Three and Four are basically superhero movies, with our hero doing battle in a boxing ring; they are super fun but a sharp turn from the original. Five is blah, Balboa is okay, and the Creeds are both good.

The thing is, Rocky is a movie about a boxer, who was given a great opportunity through boxing. But I dont consider it a boxing movie.
Totally agree. Originally, Sly wanted Rocky to be a RETIRED boxer, but then it struck him that the symbolism of a boxing match was too good to miss. The original Rocky film is not about boxing per se, it is about urban decay and being down on your luck, and taking your chances in life.
HeadBodyBodyBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:09 AM #14
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Monzon99 is infamous around these partsMonzon99 is infamous around these partsMonzon99 is infamous around these partsMonzon99 is infamous around these partsMonzon99 is infamous around these partsMonzon99 is infamous around these partsMonzon99 is infamous around these partsMonzon99 is infamous around these partsMonzon99 is infamous around these partsMonzon99 is infamous around these partsMonzon99 is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 31,983.59
Enjoy! - davidw9785 Enjoy! - davidw9785 

First Rocky the best by far. Gentleman Jim with Errol Flynn is excellent too.
Monzon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:17 PM #15
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
QueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,606.11
Total Points: 107,264.09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzon99 View Post
First Rocky the best by far. Gentleman Jim with Errol Flynn is excellent too.
- -I'll take the first ever blockbuster that predated movie theaters and immediately went international.

And was a REAL fight with a loose lipped, fast handed, quick afoot, unmarked and undefeated champ vs the title claimant, a steady, hard working bludgeoner of few words and fewer punches that few could stand against.

History!!!

Have you infantiles forgot what forum you're in?

For cartoons and seseme street, see the Lounge and bring your crayons.
QueensburyRules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:28 PM #16
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
The Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 60,516.67
Total Points: 61,236.31

When I first saw Rocky I told my grandmother it was the worst movie I ever saw. I took her to see it and she agreed. We saw that movie three more times, and every time granny said it got worse, by buggery. The worst scene of all time in movie cinema is where he is squalling for Adrian at the end. They will never top it. Go, Sly!
The Old LefHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:35 PM #17
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
PRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,574.39
Total Points: 52,789.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMoney View Post
The first Rocky movie was a great film, the likes of which major studios won’t make today. It comes off as an indy film as it explores th lives of average individuals one of which has been given an extraordinary opportunity. The protagonist is somewhat dimwitted, but not as a punchline, and there isnt some big social message. Its not even really about boxing, its about people who arent really seen as much in society, and how this unique opportunity helped them grow. Im not an artsy film type of guy, but the original Rocky was a great film.

Two tried to replicate that, but kinda missed the mark. Three and Four are basically superhero movies, with our hero doing battle in a boxing ring; they are super fun but a sharp turn from the original. Five is blah, Balboa is okay, and the Creeds are both good.

The thing is, Rocky is a movie about a boxer, who was given a great opportunity through boxing. But I dont consider it a boxing movie.
Yes when I was a kid? Rocky 4 was my favorite, but as I gotten older 'Rocky I, II and IIII are all my joint favorites now etc'

Each movie seemed to capture the culture of the time, Rocky III seemed to be vividly 1980's etc 'Rocky III & IIII are my least favorites of the originals'

I have not bothered to watch any of the Creed movies.

Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 02-12-2020 at 04:38 PM.
PRINCEKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:57 AM #18
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
The Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 60,516.67
Total Points: 61,236.31

It did not help the realism, either, that Sly is only the size of Moe of the three stooges.
The Old LefHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:17 PM #19
Up and Comer

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
cfang is on a distinguished road
Bank: 1,167.21
Total Points: 7,638.04

Rocky is a fabulous movie. Not really about boxing but about damaged people coming together. The relationships between rocky, paulie, adrian and mickey are so well played. Weathers is a perfect apollo. Its gritty and romantic and wonderful.

Rocky 2 is good just more of the same with less impact

Rocky 3 is fabulous entertainment but thats about it. Much more shallow than the first 2

Rocky 4 goes into comic superhero territory. Still worth a watch though and oddly iconic

Rocky 5 isn't so much bad as its totally cliched and it seems like nobody put any effort into it. Easily the worst of the series and comes off like a tv movie.

Rocky Balboa is great. Its strangely powerful in parts and I think its superb

Creed is fabulous. Second best of the rocky movies imo. Great leads, really good atmosphere and even bellew seems really natural.

Creed 2 is to creed what rocky 2 was to rocky.

Other boxing movies. Gentleman jim is hammy and a bit crap although flynn is fabulous as always as is ward bond as jls

The set up with robert ryan is a great little boxing movie really highlights its nasty underbelly

raging bull is obviously amazing but not really about boxing, More about one man's guilt and how he uses anger to express himself, Incredibly well acted directed and edited.
cfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:33 PM #20
05-

Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
BKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,622.21
Total Points: 33,482.14
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy New Year Bro, All the bet for 2016 - Rocky... Happy 10 years - HughJass Elite Counter-Insurgent - //// No Message - King Krusher 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfang View Post
Rocky is a fabulous movie. Not really about boxing but about damaged people coming together. The relationships between rocky, paulie, adrian and mickey are so well played. Weathers is a perfect apollo. Its gritty and romantic and wonderful.

Rocky 2 is good just more of the same with less impact

Rocky 3 is fabulous entertainment but thats about it. Much more shallow than the first 2

Rocky 4 goes into comic superhero territory. Still worth a watch though and oddly iconic

Rocky 5 isn't so much bad as its totally cliched and it seems like nobody put any effort into it. Easily the worst of the series and comes off like a tv movie.

Rocky Balboa is great. Its strangely powerful in parts and I think its superb

Creed is fabulous. Second best of the rocky movies imo. Great leads, really good atmosphere and even bellew seems really natural.

Creed 2 is to creed what rocky 2 was to rocky.

Other boxing movies. Gentleman jim is hammy and a bit crap although flynn is fabulous as always as is ward bond as jls

The set up with robert ryan is a great little boxing movie really highlights its nasty underbelly

raging bull is obviously amazing but not really about boxing, More about one man's guilt and how he uses anger to express himself, Incredibly well acted directed and edited.
Rocky 3 is highly underrated imo. It has some great elements. Rocky becoming the protected paper champion who is changing his and his family's life around while a real contender is being ducked by him and his manager/mentor, who later dies which causes Rocky to lose which then displays one of boxing's true qualities: Overcoming adversity. It's great that he teams up with his former rival and makes adjustments to win agains the odds.

Mr T. is phenomenal in this movie, so is Weathers and Meredith. Even Shire has an amazing scene. The movie does have some silly parts but it seems to be confused with Rocky 4 at times. Rocky 3 is fantastic, my personal favorite.
BKM- is online now   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends