Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the "GGG" a major draw in the UK (using Brook's name) the biggest stretch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    Wasn't it a $20 or 20GBP PPV? Definitely much better than he did in the states but still not bigger than Canelo vs Khan in the US, correct?
    Where does AJ stand in PPV buys?
    I'm trying to get a sense of just how big GGG/Brook was or wasn't as I never gave it much thought before.
    . The fight sold between 500 & 600k PPVs. Only Froch/Groves and AJ's world title fights did more. GGG was voted best P4P fighter in the world in a Sky Sports poll a month or 2 before the fight. Clearly, the draw was GGG vs a top UK opponent. The date was set for GGG vs Eubank Jnr, which would have sold equally well, if not better.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
      . The fight sold between 500 & 600k PPVs. Only Froch/Groves and AJ's world title fights did more. GGG was voted best P4P fighter in the world in a Sky Sports poll a month or 2 before the fight. Clearly, the draw was GGG vs a top UK opponent. The date was set for GGG vs Eubank Jnr, which would have sold equally well, if not better.
      What does P4P ranking and being a draw have to do with anything? Ward is seen as the best right now or even chocolatito, are they draws because people see them as the best in the world?

Comment

I think he had a big influence. People would of seen it as a one off chance to see him live and been excited by that. His planned fight with Eubank would of done good numbers also.

But Brook is a big draw, especially in a big fight with a name opponent.
        He's viewed as one of our best and the fans like him.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
          think hearn said it outdid any AJ fight. However i think a joshua/klitschko ppv would blow it out of the water. Despite what people are making out kell brook wasnt a big name over here at all prior to ggg, never been on ppv, pretty bad reputation for avoiding fights.
          Thanks guys. I got the sense that Brook was on fire after bringing home the belt but not fighting Khan and not doing much of anything for 2 years seemed to have hurt him a bit.

I agree with the idea that Eubank could have done bigger numbers. Brook is more known here in the states but Chris (I'm guessing) is a bigger name in the UK and the fact that he's actually a MW helps a lot too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
            I think he had a big influence. People would of seen it as a one off chance to see him live and been excited by that. His planned fight with Eubank would of done good numbers also.

But Brook is a big draw, especially in a big fight with a name opponent.
            He's viewed as one of our best and the fans like him.
            Brook will be a big draw now, but he wasn't that big before, except with his loyal Yorkshire fan base. That's why Amir Khan was talking about 80/20 if they fought & even Hearn & Brook accepted that Khan was the A side, even though Kell would have been the defending champ.
            Last edited by kafkod; 11-29-2016, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. I got the sense that Brook was on fire after bringing home the belt but not fighting Khan and not doing much of anything for 2 years seemed to have hurt him a bit.

I agree with the idea that Eubank could have done bigger numbers. Brook is more known here in the states but Chris (I'm guessing) is a bigger name in the UK and the fact that he's actually a MW helps a lot too.
              Before Brook fought GGG, Eubank Jnr was better known than him among casual fans. The average man in the street would have probably known who Jnr was, but not Kel. That's outside of Sheffield, of course.

Comment

Brook will be a big draw now, but he wasn't that big before, except with his loyal Yorkshire fan base. That's why Amir Khan was talking about 80/20 if they fought & even Hearn & Brook accepted that Khan was the A side, even though Kell would have been the defending champ.
                Yeah id agree, He was/is less known than the other Brits who were chasing the big fights. The Khan's, Fury's, Joshua's ect. Probably even Eubank, due to his dad's name :ANYWORD:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stark View Post
                  My point exactly. Brook is the main reason why it was PPV in the first place. GGG helped sold it but he wasn't the main reason why it got sold. It was more about Brook being the underdog against the huge favorite in GGG.
                  What are Brooks numbers before the GGG fight?

Comment

The average man in the street would have probably known who Jnr was
                    Slightly off-topic, but that's such a cool thing.^
                    If I tried to get my 12 nearest friends to pick Floyd Mayweather out of a photo line-up, I'd be lucky if even 4 of them could. As much as I complain about miss-matches and hyping, I'm truly happy for you guys having such a boxing renaissance over there.

Comment

Kell Brook is a far bigger name than Eubank Jr.

I'm a Jr fan, but a Eubank-Golovkin fight is not selling anywhere near 600k. It would be lucky to sell 200k.

Kell Brook getting a big fight (and a dangerous one) is what sold that fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X