Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does an aggressive style exaggerate a fighter's power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
    A lot of fighters who are come-forward brawler types, (let's take Mike Tyson in his prime for example - a guy who fights toe-to-toe, actively goes out there from the first bell in search and destroy mode), are best known for their crushing power. However, as soon as these fighters are not allowed to be as aggressive, they suddenly seem to lose their killer weapons. Even if they may be landing the same bombs, the power does not seem the same. If an opponent can successfully control range and limit the way in which a fighter can come at him with determination and aggression can basically show the over-exaggeration of someone's power. Or, is the power not over-exaggerated at all, but simply blunted by effective tactics of an opponent?

With heavyweights, I don't know - let's take Tyson and maybe Wlad - who hits harder? Tyson was known as a monster puncher because of his ultra-aggressive style. If he got on top of you, it was the end. His power seemed murderous, better than anyone who came before. But say someone like Wlad or Lennox or any other power puncher could fight the same way, as in rushing forward and just laying people out, would it be exactly the same? If so, it is really tough to decide who really is the most powerful.

Take other fighters in lower classes too, such as Mattyhsse, Maidana, Provodnikov, hell - even GGG. The 3 former have been controlled, let's say, and their power has failed the test. What I mean by that is that when they are not allowed to be aggressive, they don't seem as powerful. Is their power overrated, or is it just simply tactics from an opponent that can blunt and mask power? In GGG's case, it is simply that no one has been good enough to stop him, but when he cannot be aggressive, will the KO streak end? Same with Wilder, he could be aggressive with bums, but v a more live body he struggled to prove his power.

So, people, thoughts? Does aggression sometimes exaggerate a fighter's power, or is the power just as good as it was when people knock out bums or those who allow themselves to be attacked aggressively, but it is just effective tactics that can stop that power being transferred?

Discuss....

I believe Wlad and Lennox have more single punch power than Tyson. Tyson have more explosive power though.

I'm not bashing Wlad when I say this. Wlad is a top 10 HW ATG. But if he fought like Tyson? He would have been knocked out 2-3 more times.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonBoxing View Post
      I believe Wlad and Lennox have more single punch power than Tyson. Tyson have more explosive power though.

I'm not bashing Wlad when I say this. Wlad is a top 10 HW ATG. But if he fought like Tyson? He would have been knocked out 2-3 more times.
      Yeah, probably. It isn't really a style for taller fighters. Then again, aggression can be different. The early days Wlad was aggressive, but yes you are right, what Tyson had more was the explosiveness. I think explosiveness can be better than raw power in some cases.

Comment

I think what you see at elite level is a selective bias.
        Aggressive style boxers who don't have power won't make it to the top.
        The best KO artists are about timing over pure power in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Funky_Monk View Post
          I think what you see at elite level is a selective bias.
          Aggressive style boxers who don't have power won't make it to the top.
          The best KO artists are about timing over pure power in my opinion.
          With correct timing, you don't necessarily need to be the most powerful though. You can get counter punch KOs and similar. However, this is my point. Timing KOs sometimes show more power, arguably, so it may be that an aggressive fighting style can exaggerate the level of power.

Comment

I think that this is true, but only to a certain extent. Also aggressive fighters tend to throw more punches than those who fight off the back foot. If you're throwing more, you're more likely to knock someone out or bust up their face. The previous point about being willing to plant the feet and really get into the punch is a good one too which is worth bearing in mind.

Comment

I think an aggressive style can make people perceive a certain fighter more powerful than what he might be. But just because an aggressive fighter is nullified, doesn't mean his power is gone. Sure his confidence can be shaken, he might not commit as much, or maybe he just fails to create the opportunities he would normally set (because he's being nullified), but the power is still there.

I don't think being aggressive is a guarantee of being perceived as a powerful puncher. Take Juan Diaz for example, he would come forward, and he was very active, but nobody considered him a puncher.

Some fighters can't fight as well moving backwards as they can moving forward though, and if a power puncher doesn't get leverage on his shots while moving backwards, he might very well "lose" his power whenever he's backed up. So I guess, in the end it depends on the individual fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by vorgaphe View Post
                I think that this is true, but only to a certain extent. Also aggressive fighters tend to throw more punches than those who fight off the back foot. If you're throwing more, you're more likely to knock someone out or bust up their face. The previous point about being willing to plant the feet and really get into the punch is a good one too which is worth bearing in mind.
                Good post. Yes, it is obvious that the more you throw withintent, the more chance of a KO. But then does that aggressive style prove anything more about power than someone who takes their time to score a KO later in the fight?

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
                I think an aggressive style can make people perceive a certain fighter more powerful than what he might be. But just because an aggressive fighter is nullified, doesn't mean his power is gone. Sure his confidence can be shaken, he might not commit as much, or maybe he just fails to create the opportunities he would normally set (because he's being nullified), but the power is still there.

I don't think being aggressive is a guarantee of being perceived as a powerful puncher. Take Juan Diaz for example, he would come forward, and he was very active, but nobody considered him a puncher.

Some fighters can't fight as well moving backwards as they can moving forward though, and if a power puncher doesn't get leverage on his shots while moving backwards, he might very well "lose" his power whenever he's backed up. So I guess, in the end it depends on the individual fighter.
                Good point. Yes, i agree that sometimes it can be down to a specific individual basis.

Comment

more aggression/active = opponent has to work harder

which means they are more tired/worn down

fatigue causes your guard to lessen, concentration, etc.

more susceptible to getting caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                    more aggression/active = opponent has to work harder

which means they are more tired/worn down

fatigue causes your guard to lessen, concentration, etc.

more susceptible to getting caught.
                    Yes, but do you then agree or disagree that the type of fighting style aggressive fighters can use can make their power seem greater, when an opponent can't deal with such aggression?

Comment

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
                      Yes, but do you then agree or disagree that the type of fighting style aggressive fighters can use can make their power seem greater, when an opponent can't deal with such aggression?
                      from the audience or the opponent pov?

either way this topic is too complicated to simplify.

too many factors.

does the style make him more powerful? or is his power the reason he chose his style?

does wearing opponents down make his shots more powerful? or does his power wear the guy down?

punching power is hard to define/explain. BUT we know it when we see it. that's why ko ratios and other defining models for power is worthless.

Comment

Working...
                      X