No announcement yet.

Tell me your opinion of these fighters.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post

A "beast", second only to Roberto Duran.
    Given that I said the above about Chavez...

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    Ok, I knew Duran was clearly one of them, just wondering about 2. Figured Chavez but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anyone
    Who else could it be?

Comment

Given that I said the above about Chavez...

Who else could it be?
      Im not sure,, thats why i was asking,,, looks stupid now asking, but there have been alot of latino fighters over the years...

I know you, so duran was a lock, but was unsure about 2,, thought about chavez, but wanted to make sure...
      You could have said, kid gavilan, sanchez, some random flyweight beating peoples asses that i never heard of....

And if it wasnt chavez, i wanted to hear your opinion.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        Im not sure,, thats why i was asking,,, looks stupid now asking, but there have been alot of latino fighters over the years...

I know you, so duran was a lock, but was unsure about 2,, thought about chavez, but wanted to make sure...
        You could have said, Kid Gavilan, [Salvador] Sanchez, some random flyweight beating peoples asses that i never heard of....

And if it wasnt chavez, i wanted to hear your opinion.....
        You mentioned two "solid" names... Off the top of my head, I'd say Gavilan's in the top 5 and Sanchez top 10, hands down... Too bad the latter left us way too soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
          Tommy Morrison - He's dead. My opinion is that he wasn't all that great, he got aids, and it didn't change much.
          Why the **** would getting AIDS change your opinion of him?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
            Julio Cesar Chavez

Carlos Monzon

Joe Frazier

Tommy Morrison

Steve Collins
            Chavez - one of the greatest ever, P4P top 10, possibly the best fighter in and around his weight divisions ever. ATG chin, ATG stamina, ATG skill level and vastly underrated defense. ATG Mexican.

Monzon - one of the top 5 ATG middleweights, very skilled, strong at the weight with mean intentions at times. Sadly he lacked any coherent control of his personal life.

Frazier - ATG heavyweight, the only man to beat a legitimate version of Ali, greatest ever and I really do mean GREATEST EVER left hook and the perfection of the bob and weave style with a cross arm defense. Top 10 ATG heavyweight on any sane man's list.

Morrison - who?

Collins - nothing more than a B list slugger but man, what heart, what chin, what determination however his entire career is built upon beating two out of prime greats.

Comment

From top to bottom:

A "beast", second only to Roberto Duran.

Ranked 3rd. among Latin American fighters. (Need I say who the first two are?)

Premier exponent of the "Philadelphia left hook", without whom Muhammad Ali would not be the legend he became.

Unimpressed.

Never heard of him.
              You've never heard of Collins? Let me remind you:

http://youtu.be/U_gmZn9YlXs

Oh sorry, wrong video

Edit: how the **** do I embed? why is this forum interface so outdated?

Comment

Why no credit for Stevie stopping Benn twice? Benn was only 31 years old and only fought for 9 years. He had won against McClendan and deserved the fight with Collins. Collins made him quit twice.
                Collins was a promoters dream come true, a white kid who was tough as nails and came to win.
                I enjoyed the willingness and is lack of over skills never bothered me, today he would kick the hell out these guys who hide at 168!
                Frazier
                Senior
                Monzon are great fighters!

I also enjoyed Tommy because he imbodied what his division was all about.
                Anything can and will happen when the big boys meet.
                There are times when high skill levels aren't that important because the willingness to over come is equally intrigueing.
                Like Stevie Tommy was an engaging young man who was easy to rout for and he tried hard to succeed.
                Not everyone has unlimited talent and today theres a few with high skills who have little to no fight in them. Who wants to see that crap?

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  Why no credit for Stevie stopping Benn twice? Benn was only 31 years old and only fought for 9 years. He had won against McClendan and deserved the fight with Collins. Collins made him quit twice.
                  Collins was a promoters dream come true, a white kid who was tough as nails and came to win.
                  I enjoyed the willingness and is lack of over skills never bothered me, today he would kick the hell out these guys who hide at 168!

Ray
                  benn had brain damage, a bleed on his brain after the Gerald mcClellan fight, Collins knew this, he admitted after the fight that he never fought the real nigel benn. the benn without brain damage would have knocked Collins out. eubank was mentally questionable when collins fought him also, the prime eubank would have given collins a boxing lesson ( I hate eubank so it pains me to admit this). Collins was a tough determined guy, it would have been fun to see roy jones knock him out in 1997, though

Comment

They would all have made great bouncers because they could punch. Tommy Gun unfortunately had a chin like Ken Norton. The biggest punchers could always get him if he didn't get them first. He was probably a roid baby.

Monzon was too good for his era. All you can do is compare him to other ATG's.

The Frazier who beat Ali might have beaten the Foreman who beat Frazier. Against Foreman he sported a pot belly.

Chavez had the most important quality--he could take anything anyone threw at him. Master of the double and triple left hook. However, I clearly saw him lose to several fighters who slapped him around. He never clearly beat a prime ATG, that is just a fact. Too bad, because he could have shown us more. Great, but possibly slightly overrated. I believe Salvador Sanchez was the greatest Mexican fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post

Chavez had the most important quality--he could take anything anyone threw at him. Master of the double and triple left hook. However, I clearly saw him lose to several fighters who slapped him around. He never clearly beat a prime ATG, that is just a fact. Too bad, because he could have shown us more. Great, but possibly slightly overrated. I believe Salvador Sanchez was the greatest Mexican fighter.
                      I agree with this. Great fighter but not on the short list imo. Just a "for example." Whitaker totally outclassed JJC. Nobody came close to doing that to Duran. Yet many posters think JCC is in the same stratosphere. Sanchez was better.

Comment

Working...
                      X