Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The majority of boxing writers were wrong pre-fight = a boxer shows true greatness?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The majority of boxing writers were wrong pre-fight = a boxer shows true greatness?

I always find this perplexing.... the concept that because lots of boxing writers can't see what's in front of their own eyes and talk out of their asses it means that a boxer who defies the odds has achieved "greatness"?

It always seems to me to be a "covering your own back gesture."

Take Hopkins vs. Moby. Now, don't get me wrong, Moby is a good, but not great, fighter, and it was a highly skilful, highly commendable performance by Hopkins.

But I was saying on here for MONTHS that Moby simply wasn't that good, and doing so through a barrage of "bias brit, lamo, pwn, Moby is the new Tyson, lamo".

So from my POV Hopkins did what he had to do..... outbox an extremely limited fighter.

Yet I now see people saying that because Moby was 3-1 on to win it means it makes Hopkins "legendary"?

Wait...... did he defy the odds or were the odds just fucking wrong?

I had no idea Pavlik was that slow.

It always seemed that he might be faster than he looked because his punches got there. But **** he's slow.

Comment

I think most of the time it's the odds and 'experts' being wrong.

Comment

Pavlik is no better than jeff lacy.

I said it all the long.

Hopkins didn't go up in my estimation because I knew Pavlik was a paper champ

Comment

Originally posted by boxasmash View Post
          How can he be a paper champ?

Comment

I said it all the long.

Pavlik is totally better than Lacy.

Comment

I said it all the long.

Who did Lacy beat good as Edison M or Taylor x2

Comment

Originally posted by Duke McKenzie_ View Post
                I always find this perplexing.... the concept that because lots of boxing writers can't see what's in front of their own eyes and talk out of their asses it means that a boxer who defies the odds has achieved "greatness"?

Take Hopkins vs. Moby. Now, don't get me wrong, Moby is a good, but not great, fighter, and it was a highly skilful, highly commendable performance by Hopkins.

But I was saying on here for MONTHS that Moby simply wasn't that good, and doing so through a barrage of "bias brit, lamo, pwn, Moby is the new Tyson, lamo".

So from my POV Hopkins did what he had to do..... outbox an extremely limited fighter.

Yet I now see people saying that because Moby was 3-1 on to win it means it makes Hopkins "legendary"?

Aren't a lot of boxers entire career based on defying the odds? I mean it seems to me the the "big fights" the define most of the greats and legends in the modern era seem to be odds defying. I could be wrong. I mean I see your point, but that's how it always seem to be.

A better question is, what defines greatness?

Comment

Originally posted by Duke McKenzie_ View Post

You can say limited or not skill full ALL you want..blah blah blah,,,

He cleaned out MW (with the exception of AA) and did it by KNOCKING EVERYONE OUT including the guy that beat Hops back to back...

Comment

Originally posted by Flawless 2 View Post
                    Who did Lacy beat good as Edison M or Taylor x2
                    NO ONE.. Lacy and his accomplishments pale in comparison to what KP has done.....PALE..

Comment

Working...
                    X