No announcement yet.

Draws should be Outlawed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draws should be Outlawed

In the early 90s, the IBF came up with a rule that another round would be fought in case of a draw. I know Trinidad fought under these rules against Anthony Stephens I believe. However, the fight didn't go the distance. I think this would be a great thing and much more pleasing to fans. Every fight should have a winner, one way or another.

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
    In the early 90s, the IBF came up with a rule that another round would be fought in case of a draw. I know Trinidad fought under these rules against Anthony Stephens I believe. However, the fight didn't go the distance. I think this would be a great thing and much more pleasing to fans. Every fight should have a winner, one way or another.
    I have an unhealthy hatred for the number 13 so 13 rounds just doesn't sit well with me. Plus I don't like the idea of restarting a match after 12 rounds. All the momentum is gone.

Comment

Forcing a winner is favoring heart or conditioning when skill alone was not enough in separating the two participants, in addition if a fighter is injured going the extra round is a disadvantage, once again this factor favors the physically stronger opponent : back in the day they went 20+ rounds obviously by those standards technique is diminished and brute force is the dominant factor.

Stalemates values the health of the boxers and prioritizes skill.

Comment

Originally posted by pacmanis1 View Post
        I have an unhealthy hatred for the number 13 so 13 rounds just doesn't sit well with me. Plus I don't like the idea of restarting a match after 12 rounds. All the momentum is gone.
        Sounds like a superstitious argument, my friend. Haha. Well, the momentum could be gone for the moment, but how about the add up the scores and if they have a draw, get it going as quickly as possible, like overtime in football or basketball.

Comment

Open scoring will do away alot of draws maybe. Its the only sport in the world that you have no idea what the score is until its over. Even when its obvious you dont really know until the scores are read and far too often most of the world is left shaking their heads at the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
            Sounds like a superstitious argument, my friend. Haha. Well, the momentum could be gone for the moment, but how about the add up the scores and if they have a draw, get it going as quickly as possible, like overtime in football or basketball.
            Haha yeah it's my one bad superstition. I think it would actually work out pretty well if it was open scoring because then you could go right into it. However I'm also not a big fan of open scoring either but whatever, that's just my preference.

Comment

Haha yeah it's my one bad superstition. I think it would actually work out pretty well if it was open scoring because then you could go right into it. However I'm also not a big fan of open scoring either but whatever, that's just my preference.
              Oh yeah, man. I agree. And I do agree with open scoring. The crowd could react as the fight went along too which is more transparent, but to each their own. I mean, other sports show the scoreboard as the game goes along. It's something else to make the fans engage which I think is always a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun_Tzu View Post
                Open scoring will do away alot of draws maybe. Its the only sport in the world that you have no idea what the score is until its over. Even when its obvious you dont really know until the scores are read and far too often most of the world is left shaking their heads at the decision.
                Yes, sir. I'm all for open scoring. It adds a whole new level of drama for the fans and the fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun_Tzu View Post
                  This would actually be a great idea but neveda won't ever allow it seeing as they fix the cards for bets.

Comment

Well, during the days of 15 rounds, a draw became numerically impossible. But then the Ray Mancini/Kim Duk-koo incident happened, and that was the beginning of the end. Why they settled on an even number? Who knows.

Comment

Working...
                    X