• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread spoiler:

"American boxing isn't so hot right now"

"Well we are superior boxers but we all went to play in the NFL and NBA"

"Middleweights went to play in the NFL and NBA?"

"NFL needs kickers"

"What a coincidence that they all went to the NFL and NBA a couple years after professional boxing was legalized across the eastern hemisphere and Mexican/South American boxers started to hook up with American promoters and get title shots. It seems like back in the day it was 90% Americans vs Americans so the American always won."

"So ur saying u could beat up George Foreman?"

"Um no I'm just saying they're one of many countries in boxing now. They've probably always been average. There just wasn't much else to measure them against. They still have a few good fighters but we can see, the golden age was mostly just a media invention".

"Ur blocked ur a hater"

Comment

Eh Spence is all we really have.

Not sold on Crawford yet. I feel like he is fragile.

Danny Garcia? Oh **** it. Dan is right Now we have to rely on Ward hugging everyone to death.

Comment

Originally posted by /// View Post
        Thread spoiler:

"American boxing isn't so hot right now"

"Well we are superior boxers but we all went to play in the NFL and NBA"

"Middleweights went to play in the NFL and NBA?"

"NFL needs kickers"

"What a coincidence that they all went to the NFL and NBA a couple years after professional boxing was legalized across the eastern hemisphere and Mexican/South American boxers started to hook up with American promoters and get title shots. It seems like back in the day it was 90% Americans vs Americans so the American always won."

"So ur saying u could beat up George Foreman?"

"Um no I'm just saying they're one of many countries in boxing now. They've probably always been average. There just wasn't much else to measure them against. They still have a few good fighters but we can see, the golden age was mostly just a media invention".

"Ur blocked ur a hater"
        /thread

Comment

If I recall, the US Olympic boxing team failed miserably during the 2012 Olympics. Did they even get a medal?

It's not looking good for american boxers.

Comment

Ward, Crawford, Wilder, Spence, and Andrade are my favorite active fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullrush View Post
              Boxing isn't dead, it's just that we're in a rough time right now. Kids 10-20 years ago went into football, basketball, and now we see the results of that. All the great athletes are into football and basketball. Nobody grows up these days watching boxing only. They either watch NFL, NBA or a little bit of MMA. Mainly because that **** is already being shoved up your ass in high school and college. If you're a dude and you're athletic odds are you will probably play football, if you're really tall you'll do basketball, and if you're crazy and not gifted physically you'll do wrestling. Nobody just goes into boxing unless you have a parent push you into it. There aren't a lot of good gyms around either. Boxing can only be seen on PPV and nobody pays 50-60 bucks for a boxing fight. So If you don't have any gyms, if you don't get any coverage of the fights, yeah, people won't give a ****.

The NFL does the right thing, their **** is out there for free for everybody to see, they are very involved with college football, even with 5-10 year olds. Boxing doesn't do ****, they think these studs just magically appear out of nowhere.
              I think its less to do with other sports than just the reality thats its not quite as ****ty in the US as it used to be. Generally the best fighters come from ****ty areas/backgrounds. I mean this is why Chavez Jr has Chavez Sr's genes but he ain't **** compared to his dad for anecdotal evidence. For the most part there are very few people REALLY bad off in the US. And the cats who are breed for warfare tend to get put in the system now more than ever. So the great US fighters that should be around right now were happily going to grocery stores with their mom with a SNAP card & government money & with some hope of better things & grew up soft or fine with the status quo or they are serving 20 years in a state facility not playing for the Giants. More or less thats what I think is what is behind the current less than impressive overall group of US boxers vs what we've seen in the past.

I will say that there is some catching up that other countries have done to so its not like thats the only issue. Competition coming into the pro boxing pool will obviously make getting anywhere harder.

And if any sport is taking boxers its probably MMA not the NFL or NBA. Maybe like 95% of US white guys who can fight are doing MMA these days over boxing. There are more & more US black & hispanic dudes getting into MMA every time I'm looking up prospects. And boxing & MMA have got similar weight brackets so they are more likely to be competing for the same pool of smaller athletes that don't have as many pro sport options to dream of or consider as the bigger guys do when they are kids & many people coming up see MMA more like "real fighting" thus the appeal for guys coming up is sexier than it is for boxing nowadays.

Comment

I want to see more of Erickson Lubin and Gervonta Davis.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                  Ward, Crawford, Wilder, Spence, and Andrade are my favorite active fighters.

I do really like that Boo Boo Andrade from what I have seen I must say he just never seems to fight. I feel he could be the best at 154.

Not sure if he has promotional issues or what but he fights once a year tops.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                    I do really like that Boo Boo Andrade from what I have seen I must say he just never seems to fight. I feel he could be the best at 154.

Not sure if he has promotional issues or what but he fights once a year tops.
                    He's fighting Willie Nelson on Showtime next month to become the WBC mandatory.

Comment

Just checked he has fought twice since he beat Vanes in 2013. He does however have a fight lined up next month vs Willie Nelson who I really don't rate but is coming off a good upset win. Lets hope it don't fall through.

About time the Charlo's, Lara, Andrade, J Rock Williams and so on started fighting each other.
                      A good 5-6 clearly well ahead of the rest but the only one who seems to get in there with the rest is Vanes

Comment

Working...
                      X