Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larry Holmes vs Tim Witherspoon...Who Won?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    He never gave rematches either.
    good point scott. not sure why he's never took any heat for that. I guess the detractors didnt wanna make him anymore bitter than he already is

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
      good point scott. not sure why he's never took any heat for that. I guess the detractors didnt wanna make him anymore bitter than he already is
      The Weaver rematch should have happened when they were both champions. I can't see a reasonable excuse for Holmes with that one and he won't get a pass from me.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
        The Weaver rematch should have happened when they were both champions. I can't see a reasonable excuse for Holmes with that one and he won't get a pass from me.
        thanks for bringing up that fight! holmes was taking a pretty good battering and down on the cards until he landed a big uppercut off the ropes. I believe that was in the last round? weaver definitely deserved a rematch. btw,,,,,I really would have loved if cooney fought weaver for the title instead of holmes. that would have been a great slugfest imo. holmes was too experienced and savvy for a young cooney at the time

Comment

Close fight . Spoon was tough but Holmes won . I have watched almost all of Larry's fights since the first shavers fight and cannot believe how the officials score his performance. He was not a very popular fighter but he controlled fights from the opening bell. the two Spinks fights were a travesty. Luckily, boxing fans today are starting to appreciate his game. I just wish he had further cemented his legacy with fights against Dokes, Page and Coetezzie

Comment

Originally posted by ragin View Post
            Close fight . Spoon was tough but Holmes won . I have watched almost all of Larry's fights since the first shavers fight and cannot believe how the officials score his performance. He was not a very popular fighter but he controlled fights from the opening bell. the two Spinks fights were a travesty. Luckily, boxing fans today are starting to appreciate his game. I just wish he had further cemented his legacy with fights against Dokes, Page and Coetezzie
            sorry but the first spinks fight wasnt a travesty. I thought spinks deserved that win altho holmes should have got the win in the rematch. holmes got the benefit of the doubt in close fights more often than not. witherspoon and carl williams could have easily got the decision. holmes has nothing to be bitter about

Comment

Beez--I will give you the first Spinks fight--you are probably right. However it seems from my memory that the media, public and officials were always ready to hand Larry a loss. He dominated for so long and pissed off so many that it seems reasonable that there was a bias against him. Williams, spoon , Cooney all fought hard fights but at no time did I feel Larry was not in control. The scoring with each of these was not as close as warranted. I remember watching that Williams fight and the tv crew was dying for the upset. I was not a fan of his then... but over the years I have grown to appreciate his mastery in the ring. Call me crazy but I believe that only 3 champs could have ever beaten a prime 87-90 Tyson. Holmes Ali and Foreman.

Comment

Originally posted by ragin View Post
                Beez--I will give you the first Spinks fight--you are probably right. However it seems from my memory that the media, public and officials were always ready to hand Larry a loss. He dominated for so long and pissed off so many that it seems reasonable that there was a bias against him. Williams, spoon , Cooney all fought hard fights but at no time did I feel Larry was not in control. The scoring with each of these was not as close as warranted. I remember watching that Williams fight and the tv crew was dying for the upset. I was not a fan of his then... but over the years I have grown to appreciate his mastery in the ring. Call me crazy but I believe that only 3 champs could have ever beaten a prime 87-90 Tyson. Holmes Ali and Foreman.
                Larry was in a bad marraige (with the media) from the start. he replaced a guy who was pretty popular in the heavyweight division... And everyone expected him to genuflect to Ali. What is really sad is that a brash heavyweight with a great jab and lateral movement would, under virtually any circumstance, bar one, be considered a man of the people. And lets not forget that Holmes stood up to that baturd Don king.

but Holmes had the misfortune to be following Ali. And next to Ali's skill, personality and epic struggle for social justice, holmes just appeared as an arrogant second stringer. Nobody wanted larry to break Marciano's record and that was a shame.

History can be a biatch and its all about timing sometimes.

Comment

I had Holmes winning by two rds.

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
                    thanks for bringing up that fight! holmes was taking a pretty good battering and down on the cards until he landed a big uppercut off the ropes. I believe that was in the last round? weaver definitely deserved a rematch. btw,,,,,I really would have loved if cooney fought weaver for the title instead of holmes. that would have been a great slugfest imo. holmes was too experienced and savvy for a young cooney at the time
                    Cooney should've fought Weaver first, but there's no guarantee he takes Weaver in a fight. Especially if it's late, Mike would kill Gerry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
                      Cooney should've fought Weaver first, but there's no guarantee he takes Weaver in a fight. Especially if it's late, Mike would kill Gerry.
                      oh yea,,,,weaver could crack but hed have had a much better chance than he did against holmes. id have slightly favored cooney by early kayo had he fought weaver at that time

Comment

Working...
                      X