Collapse
No announcement yet.

DLH vs Quartey 12th round appreciation thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was a great fight, Oscar was the first to defeat Quartey, Oscar showed he had heart by being 1 or 2 points behind and stealing the show with the knock down and then almost getting the tko victory, if only he would of had a little more gas in the tank, bye bye Ikey.

Comment

we did a cook off for this fight i remember we was all jumpin we thought oscar was gone lose but then he surprised us in da last round man dat was a war! they dont make fights like this no more! everybody too scared to lose they be fightin dem easy fights now. this oscar was da truth! heart of a lion!

Comment

SMH @ "the best welterweight fight since Leonard-Hearns 1" and it being such a great fight. Brown-Trice 1, for one, takes a royal dump on this overrated fight. So does Davis-Breland, which was quite possibly the best WW title fight of the 90s.

Most of the fight was slow as hell. It had two extremely exciting rounds, and the rest largely was a pose-fest with an ocassional exchange. Suspenseful when it happened? Yes? But definitely lacking for actual sustained action.

DLH was fortunate to win the fight, as he did extremely little for most of the mid rounds. A great finish can only make up some much for the middle rounds when he did nothing. Ken Morita proved once again his incompetence.
        Last edited by Thread Stealer; 08-14-2009, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Quartey got ripped off there. Quartey got robbed more than the liqoure store in North Philly.

Comment

1. Quartey clearly won.

2. The fight was, for the most part, boring. One of the most overrated fights I've ever seen. The 6th and the 12th were good rounds....everything else was Quartey jabbing and Oscar exploding and missing with the occasional flurry.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
              1. Quartey clearly won.

2. The fight was, for the most part, boring. One of the most overrated fights I've ever seen. The 6th and the 12th were good rounds....everything else was Quartey jabbing and Oscar exploding and missing with the occasional flurry.
              Boxing fans often don't remember a fight IN FULL. They remember a round round or two and go "wow, what a great fight!!" Boxing fans have about as good memories as Guy Pierce in Memento. Actually on that note, Leonard-Hearns 1 was similar in the sense that it lacked sustained action for the most part. The end of the 6th round had its action, the 7th round was an ass-kicking, rounds 13-14 were ass-kickings as well. The rest of the fight was a chessmatch and even got some boos from the audience in around the 10-12 area when the action was very slow and Tommy was outboxing Ray from the outside.

I also noticed that whenever people give a R-B-R scorecard, they either score it for Quartey, or score it for DLH by a single point and admit it was extremely close and could've easily gone to Ike.

Comment

imo Quartey won i was always annoyed that Oscar didn't say in the after fight interview that he would give Ike a rematch it seemed fair to give him that.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
                  1. Quartey clearly won.

That fight was not boring at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Knocks View Post
                    That fight was not boring at all.
                    10 of the 12 rounds were pretty slow.

It wasn't boring when it occurred live due to the suspense factor, but the replay value of the fight is pretty poor due to the lack of action.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
                      10 of the 12 rounds were pretty slow.

It wasn't boring when it occurred live due to the suspense factor, but the replay value of the fight is pretty poor due to the lack of action.
                      I think it was a very good boxing fight and show the great skills of both fighters. The replay value might not be higher than other fights but it was a very good boxing fight with two top WW in their primes.

Comment

Working...
                      X