Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the risk of wrist damage for an amateur?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the risk of wrist damage for an amateur?

Hi all,

I'd like to get into boxing for the health benefit. Nothing serious, just me practicing on a heavy bag at home with jump roping & other exercise drills.

I'm concerned about damage to the wrists. I'm not going to have someone else nearby to wrap my wrists for me. And even then it seems that putting the force of a punch into a heavy bag would be very risky over time. I use the computer all day for work so injured wrists for even a day would be a big problem.

I'd appreciate any advice on this issue (even if you suggest that I stay away), thanks!

Originally posted by MCyin View Post
    Hi all,

I'd like to get into boxing for the health benefit. Nothing serious, just me practicing on a heavy bag at home with jump roping & other exercise drills.

I'm concerned about damage to the wrists. I'm not going to have someone else nearby to wrap my wrists for me. And even then it seems that putting the force of a punch into a heavy bag would be very risky over time. I use the computer all day for work so damaged wrists for even a day would be a big problem.

I'd appreciate any advice on this issue (even if you suggest that I stay away), thanks!
    if you will have issues or not is the unknown. Wrap your hands correctly. Learn how to deliver a punch correctly. You should be okay. Not one person can say if youll have issues over time or not , unless you already have underlining issues. Some do Some dont.

Comment

Thanks; are injured wrists fairly common for amateur boxers?

Comment

Learn how to wrap properly. There are methods of wrapping that give extra wrist protection. It should feel tight without cutting off circulation to your fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
          Learn how to wrap properly. There are methods of wrapping that give extra wrist protection. It should feel tight without cutting off circulation to your fingers.
          Thanks, is there a name for that special method that gives extra protection? Do you have any links to a site that shows it?

Comment

Dude once you become a boxer you have so many chicks flocking to you that you wont need to sit in front of your computer and spar with yourself ever again. In all seriousness if your doing a good job wrapping you shouldn't to worry.............about kids. I'm sorry it was there for the taking.

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
              if you will have issues or not is the unknown. Wrap your hands correctly. Learn how to deliver a punch correctly. You should be okay. Not one person can say if youll have issues over time or not , unless you already have underlining issues. Some do Some dont.
              This is correct. Wrap your hands correctly and use correct technique.

Comment

Just learn to wrap your hands correctly. There are many methods, some of them give better protection to the knuckles and some better to the wrists, so if you feel you have weak wrists just give them some extra protection. You could also try to improve your wrist strength by doing exercises such as wrist curls ... Oh and always keep your wrists straight, if they bend then you could get an injury.

Comment

For the most part, it's up to you, as wrist injuries are avoidable. They come through improper form and training through injuries. I hurt my wrist once, throwing a goofy hook, and never hurt it again because I learned from it.
                  I'd be more concerned about the hands, and things like brakes, arthritis, tendinitis, etc. Those things are sometimes unavoidable.

Comment

Put plaster in your wraps.

Margarito never had hand problems...

Comment

Working...
                    X