Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Fighters You Believe Are Stinking Up the Sport!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demian Maia
    Garbage. Complete garbage. This guy is worse than Shinya. Like, I get it. You suck at everything but bjj. Don't fucking flop when your opponent gets close. Shinya only bjjs but at least he fucking engages and doesn't just flop over. People really had the nerve to blame Anderson for that fight too. Luckily he got dropped from UFC right? Good. I don't even think he fights anymore. I wouldn't know, I don't follow him, cause he sucks.

Jason Miller
    Don't know how the fuck he got popular. He sucks. He's average at everything, good at nothing. Literally, he isn't good at anything. I don't know how he did it but he's like the Zack Ryder of mma.

Micheal Bisping
    Boring. Talks shit and is boring on the feet. Boring. That's it. He's boring. The total polar opposite of Dan Hardy.

Georges St. Pierre
    I respect him, I like his mind set, and acknowledge his martial arts but come the fuck on. If someone is a threat to him, he'll just wrestle. Bigger than just about every welterweight and rather wrestle than use his kyokushin karate. That's the trend of the jackson camp though. Wrestle it out.

Kenny Florian
    No heart, no killer instinct. He refuses to get hurt or go out on his shield or even take the smallest of chances. He's lost every title fight he has been in because he lacks heart and determination. Even when the only possible way for him to win is to throw down, he'll avoid contact and circle around the cage. Basically losing on purpose because of his fear to fight. Tag him good once, he'll bitch out.

I really had to think about it. I didn't want to just toss up names. Anthony Johnson and Melvin Guillard almost made this list but at least they aren't boring. Well, Anthony was a bitch for what he did Hardy but at least he finally moved to MW.

Comment

See I don't get the "boring fighters are stinking up the sport"

The San Antonio Spurs are boring as fuk, but that doesn't mean they are bad for Basketball.

The Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers games are usually FG contests, but it's not bad for Football. A lot of fans enjoy those close defensive contests.

Everybody these days in MMA want offense, offense offense. Reckless abandon.

The beauty of MMA and sports in general is that there is usually something for everybody.

I don't see how you can say one is stinking up the sport and the other isn't. Everybody has their preference.

Again, IMO it's more of what guys do outside the cage than inside.

Comment

Another thing that is hurting the sport, not a fighter but the way the UFC markets and presents their product.

They introduce their PPV with cringe worthy nu-metal music, their commentary duo says a lot about their product as well.

You have a PBP announcer that is essentially a broken record "It's all Over" after every single fight, saying stupid things and making himself look foolish.

Then your Color Commentator is an admitted pot-head with an annoying voice that also says some dumb stuff and while he may be knowledgeable in some cases I just don't know how you take sport serious with the host of Fear Factor doing your commentary.

Dana White, I give him a lot of credit for what he's done for the sport and building his own brand, but he's like Jerry Jones. He's way too involved in places he shouldn't be and should remain more behind the scenes. But it's worked for him so far, so what the hell.

Comment

I definitely agree with that. After a certain point, you figure they would change that ******ed ass intro music. It's annoying as hell to me.

The commentators are a bit overdone as well but compared to Bill Goldberg and those other guys, can't really complain. Unless they get that guy who does HDNet fight commentary, the british/aussie guy. Otherwise, probably won't get better than what they have now.

Comment

Jack3d dropping the knowledge!

I agree with a lot of what you say but I disagree on the Jacob Volkmann stuff...

I think this is a problem for the UFC, the UFC can't build stars because no one has a personality. I mean seriously... Past the top 10 in each division it's a cacophony of the same fighters, and even then no one is spending a damn thing to see an individual fighter except for maybe two or three guys.

If Volkmann wants to put himself out there like that, it's his right. You may not agree with what he says but I'm sure many people do. Hell, I think O-bomb-a should be tried for treason and war crimes, but that's just me. Besides that, who the hell was Volkmann before he got on the mic? No one. Now you are at least aware of him. Plus the guy is a beast of a wrestler.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack3d View Post
              Another thing that is hurting the sport, not a fighter but the way the UFC markets and presents their product.

They introduce their PPV with cringe worthy nu-metal music, their commentary duo says a lot about their product as well.

You have a PBP announcer that is essentially a broken record "It's all Over" after every single fight, saying stupid things and making himself look foolish.

Then your Color Commentator is an admitted pot-head with an annoying voice that also says some dumb stuff and while he may be knowledgeable in some cases I just don't know how you take sport serious with the host of Fear Factor doing your commentary.

Dana White, I give him a lot of credit for what he's done for the sport and building his own brand, but he's like Jerry Jones. He's way too involved in places he shouldn't be and should remain more behind the scenes. But it's worked for him so far, so what the hell.
              Amen brother. i was saying the same thing on the 1st page that it's more what's outside the cage or ring than in it.

You have guys like benji radach and tim sylvia getting plastered and instigating fights instead of behaving like the professionals that they are. To make it worse they do so and get knocked out cold by average joes and professional wrestlers making a mockery of the sport they represent and validating claims that it doesnt take skill to do mma.

As far as UFC's commentary team i would suppose they would have upgraded long ago if they could but those 2 have been there for so long now i think they're afraid to make changes that would turn off fans.

I do much prefer the team of mauro renallo, stephen quadross, pat milettich and frank shamrock. Man...is shamrock entertaining as a color commentator.

Comment

Come on, this is fighting.

A stinker is a stinker.

Who cares if Canadians and females like to watch GSP fight, he's a stinker. Same with most of the other fighters listed in the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                  Come on, this is fighting.

A stinker is a stinker.

Who cares if Canadians and females like to watch GSP fight, he's a stinker. Same with most of the other fighters listed in the thread.
                  If it sells, it's not bad for the sport. And the last time I checked GSP is the biggest draw in MMA. And like I mentioned, the exciting fighters and fights far outweight the "stinkers". One bad fight on a card isn't going to ruin the entire card. And 15 or so "stinkers" a year in comparison to the hundreds of great fights per year aren't going to hurt it either.

GSP is to MMA as Tom Brady and Joe Namath are to Football. And that's not a bad.
                  Last edited by Jack3d; 01-13-2012, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Nice post as always, Loki

I'm shaking my head at how many people think GSP is "stinking up the sport" with his style. He has shown that he is as close to unbeatable as you can be and is a complete professional in the media. He literally has no negative aspects marketability wise.

My list:

1. Josh Koscheck, he has no idea how to conduct himself like a professional. He will forever be stuck in a high school wrestler's mindset.

2. Forrest Griffin, as great as his first war with Bonnar was, it has faded into history and has been surpassed by many more great technical fights. Not to mention him crying like a baby when losing, running out of the cage and talking about how raw his penis is in interviews clouds his image as well.

3. Quinton Jackson, I've always loved his fighting style and ferocity. Though he hasn't finished a fight in a few years, he is easily one of the more entertaining brawlers in the sport. I think his humor is hilarious, but dry humping reporters for literally minutes and sending interviews to new levels of awkwardness is Rampage's real game. Entertaining to watch, but he does honestly look mentally challenged most of the time he speaks.

4. BJ Penn, "The Prodigy" has given us many great fights and is always willing to "just scrap," but it seems like he is headed off of the deep end after Diaz beat the brakes off of him in late October. Jay Dee is the perfect example as to why training is so important. He literally wasted his talent with a rock star attitude and though he often conducted himself as a professional, his recent threats against Cesar Gracie are completely childish.

5. Hermes França, another super entertaining fighter on the list. One of the more unique cases on this list, his reasons for stinking up the sport are for literally getting stinky with an underage girl. One count of unlawful penetration, one count of first-degree sexual abuse. Fuck you, Hermes França.
                    Last edited by Big BRICKS; 01-13-2012, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big BRICKS View Post
                      Nice post as always, Loki

I'm shaking my head at how many people think GSP is "stinking up the sport" with his style. He has shown that he is as close to unbeatable as you can be and is a complete professional in the media. He literally has no negative aspects marketability wise.

My list:

1. Josh Koscheck, he has no idea how to conduct himself like a professional. He will forever be stuck in a high school wrestler's mindset.

2. Forrest Griffin, as great as his first war with Bonnar was, it has faded into history and has been surpassed by many more great technical fights. Not to mention him crying like a baby when losing, running out of the cage and talking about how raw his penis is in interviews clouds his image as well.

3. Quinton Jackson, I've always loved his fighting style and ferocity. Though he hasn't finished a fight in a few years, he is easily one of the more entertaining brawlers in the sport. I think his humor is hilarious, but dry humping reporters for literally minutes and sending interviews to new levels of awkwardness is Rampage's real game. Entertaining to watch, but he does honestly look mentally challenged most of the time he speaks.

4. BJ Penn, "The Prodigy" has given us many great fights and is always willing to "just scrap," but it seems like he is headed off of the deep end after Diaz beat the brakes off of him in late October. Jay Dee is the perfect example as to why training is so important. He literally wasted his talent with a rock star attitude and though he often conducted himself as a professional, his recent threats against Cesar Gracie are completely childish.

5. Hermes França, another super entertaining fighter on the list. One of the more unique cases on this list, his reasons for stinking up the sport are for literally getting stinky with an underage girl. One count of unlawful penetration, one count of first-degree sexual abuse. Fuck you, Hermes França.
                      once again it's more really about image and professionalism being the problem rather than actual in ring performances.

I completely agree on bj penn though. It pisses me off to even just think about him because he had all the talent in the world to be the greatest mma fighter of all time by miles and miles ahead of everyone else. None of the guys that beat him ever truly deserved to beat him and was his own undoing for coasting off his talents.

Comment

Working...
                      X