No announcement yet.

I've discovered a legitimate use for the smith machine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've discovered a legitimate use for the smith machine

So, I'm stuck training at a ****ty subpar gym which is way too machine oriented, and so doesn't even have a free weight squat rack (just a smith machine).

I've moved to purely bodyweight squats as a result, especially one-leg (pistol) squats, both the assisted and unassisted varieties.

I've been interested in calisthenics/bodyweight training, and it's actually about 70-80% of what I do usually (in part because of the sub-par status of my gym, but I also like the fact that I can also get a work out in my room, with just some floor space, some rings I've got hung up on the wall for, and a couple dumbbells).

Through calisthenics, I discovered bridging progression, especially from the Convict Conditioning series.

So, I've discovered that the smith machine is actually perfect for training bridge progressions.

(For reference, below is the stand-to-bridge-to-stand).

Basically by setting the bar progressively lower, you can really make progress on bridging, which is a great exercise for the spine and posterior chain. It also helps a lot, if there is a mirror behind the smith machine.

Just a discovery I had recently, thought I'd might as well share.

I can't embed on my tablet but here.

http://youtu.be/IHBLxCPmnVc

Comment

Originally posted by Krewella Boyy View Post
      I can't embed on my tablet but here.

http://youtu.be/IHBLxCPmnVc
      Here you go

Comment

Last edited by Cleto_Reyes; 10-08-2014, 12:03 PM.

Comment

I use the smith machine for stiff legged deadlifts only. I can't use free weights to deadlift anymore since I hurt my back using them to deadlift.

Outside of that I don't touch it, only really use it out of necessity.

Comment

I only work out the glamour muscles , I stay away from the hardcore, real **** lol

Comment

Working...
            X