remembering alan turing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remembering alan turing

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/22/r...turing-at-100/

a great article about a brilliant mathematician and computer pioneer...

some excerpts...

"In 1952, Turing, then in his late 30s, was convicted of indecency due to his relationship with another man, sentenced to hormonal treatment that amounted to chemical castration. The sentencing also found Turing stripped of his security clearances, in spite of having been one of the UK's great war heroes."

"In 2009, more than half a century after biting into the apple, a petition with a thousand signatures made its way to then Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who formally apologized for the government's "appalling" treatment of one of its most brilliant minds, adding, "you deserved so much better.""

i wonder if theres any producer from hollywood contemplating doing a movie about him? they did one for harvey milk and john forbes nash, maybe they can for this guy... tragic...

Yeah I remember him helping the English army won the war against the Nazis through his creativeness and ingenuity. He was always a step ahead against the germans in terms of decoding messages so they always know where the u-boats would be, days ahead.

But what did the English government pay him in return? he was harassed for knowing too much, he was paranoid all his life after the war because English intelligence was always on his tails.

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo View Post
      Yeah I remember him helping the English army won the war against the Nazis through his creativeness and ingenuity. He was always a step ahead against the germans in terms of decoding messages so they always know where the u-boats would be, days ahead.

But what did the English government pay him in return? he was harassed for knowing too much, he was paranoid all his life after the war because English intelligence was always on his tails.
      thats why gordon brown apologised...

i wonder if the catholic church did the same and apologised for what it did against giordano bruno and galileo?

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
        thats why gordon brown apologised...

i wonder if the catholic church did the same and apologised for what it did against giordano bruno and galileo?
        I don't know about bruno but the catholic church acknowledge the work of Galileo just very recently, I think 5 to 10 years ago. It in effect admitted that earth is not the center of the universe after 5 o6 decades and I lol'ed.

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo View Post
          I don't know about bruno but the catholic church acknowledge the work of Galileo just very recently, I think 5 to 10 years ago. It in effect admitted that earth is not the center of the universe after 5 o6 decades and I lol'ed.
          Actually the prohibition against heliocentrism and ban on his works was lifted in the 1750s. The pope issued an apology for the treatment he received in the 90s though.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
            Actually the prohibition against heliocentrism and ban on his works was lifted in the 1750s. The pope issued an apology for the treatment he received in the 90s though.
            Thanks for the heads up, tengo.

Comment

Alan Turing is my god.....(studying computing engineering)

Comment

Working...
              X