No announcement yet.

leg drive makes my punches feel alot stronger but also more pushy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leg drive makes my punches feel alot stronger but also more pushy

What am I most likely doing wrong as a guess?

Its like when I rotate only without putting my legs into the shot it feels more sharp like more of a crisp concussive impact.

But when I get low like marciano and put my legs into it it feels a hell of a lot stronger but not as crisp, it feels a little pushy.

What am I most likely doing wrong?

nothing, same for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
      nothing, same for everyone
      really? thanks man!

Comment

Depends on who you ask.

It may FEEL stronger, but it really isn't. Pushing with a punch is essentially manipulating the object you're hittings balance. The thing of it is, hitting a bag is NOT like hitting an opponent. Basically, a bag is ALWAYS bracing for impact at any angle. Hitting a bag is not like hitting someone on the forehead, or cracking a hook to their floating ribs. Unless you know how to use explosiveness correctly early on and getting the right amount of snap on the right amount of extension, you're not going to know what a great effective punch feels like by only hitting a bag.

Now, some people teach the pushing method.. I have no idea why. But you see it A LOT in traditional martial arts.

I personally feel pushing gives you no advantage over pure twist-&-torque. You're essentially just pushing your upper bodyweight into them. Momentum is minimized.

For instance, as a basic way to throw the right-hand, the punch starts at the feet, but that doesn't mean you just push from there. You harness the force from the floor then you drive it throughout your body in the use of pivoting and rotation. Much like a whip, it starts at the handle (your foot) and works its way out the end at full extension (your hands).

Comment

Working...
        X