No announcement yet.

Slide Or Step

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide Or Step

I might make this seem confusing. Joe Louis slides as he's fighting while I'll see some others step — I'll take Manny Pacquaio for example. As Louis walks he's sort of gliding his feet as to other fighters I see some step or pick their foot/feet up slightly. I know everyone is different, but what works for you. Every now and then I feel both techniques work to an extent.

Originally posted by DONTRAY View Post
    I might make this seem confusing. Joe Louis slides as he's fighting while I'll see some others step — I'll take Manny Pacquaio for example. As Louis walks he's sort of gliding his feet as to other fighters I see some step or pick their foot/feet up slightly. I know everyone is different, but what works for you. Every now and then I feel both techniques work to an extent.
    Always step. Sliding can create problems and it's not worth it for you to have that program running in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by DONTRAY View Post
      Whatever makes you a better fighter. The fundamentals are guidelines and a frame for fighting. Sometimes its okay to go outside that frame. Check out Ali.

It's always the best to master the fundamentals THEN tweak things here and there as your skills and reflexes develop to make your strengths stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
        Always step. Sliding can create problems and it's not worth it for you to have that program running in the background.
        Sliding can make you walk into something and get decked for sure.

Comment

Why would you be more likely to 'slide' into a punch than to 'step' into the same punch?

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
            Why would you be more likely to 'slide' into a punch than to 'step' into the same punch?
            The momentum of the movement.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
              The momentum of the movement.
              Really? Explain that.

Comment

When How Why > what.

You can have both. It's all about How When & Why you are stepping or sliding.

Some older fighters had this devastating set up where when coming forward they would slide their back foot forward first. Then by time they extended their front foot the distance would be shortened. And of course when Mayweather wants to pull counter you he picks his back foot high off the ground so that he is on the balls of his toes. Then he slides backwards waiting for you to jab.

Stepping also has its time and place. I would just say be careful when stepping forward with your jab. We can talk all day about stepping. Very vast topic

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
                  Really? Explain that.
                  I see a lot of guys doing it and hurting themselves in the gym. They seem to come in a lot quicker when gliding instead of stepping.

Comment

Pros generally step in and out, sliding is too slow I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X