No announcement yet.

Are push-ups a good enough upper body workout

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eXig3
    I promote push ups more than weight training. All i do as far as weight training goes is, 100 punch outs with 4kg weights in either hand.
    Thats good going, you are considered very fit if you can manage 36 press ups.

Comment

did 30 after reading this thread, b4 i cud do 38 in one go. my arms feeel like jelly after 27 whyyyyyyyyy?? is that

Comment

Originally posted by sanjayint
        did 30 after reading this thread, b4 i cud do 38 in one go. my arms feeel like jelly after 27 whyyyyyyyyy?? is that
        Sucking Lewis's **** won't make it go higher/.

Comment

Originally posted by - Evil -
          Damn! Im ultra ultra ultra fit then.

But whos standards is that by? If its by American standards then, im not even gonna believe that ****. If its by English standards its still not good enough.

I average like 100 in one go, despite the fact my arms arent as big as you think they would be for someone who can do 100 press ups...

Comment

Originally posted by - Evil -
            Check sig for arm pic lol.

Comment

I usually do about 45 a day, but I do a fair amount of weights as well so...but I recently broke my thumb on my left hand, so I've been workin only one arm...it sucks...

Comment

I do pushups 3 times a day. 80 each time. So a total of 240 a day. Morning, afternoon and night.

Comment

I've been reading about routines that involve doing 500 push-ups over the course of a day and have tried that for myself. It really takes a lot out of you but my endurance strength is increasing and that's important to me.
                  You can get an excellent upper body workout, obviously many boxers, Joe Frazier for example swear by them. With push-ups you don't have to do the standard ones all the time, I get bored and need variety. I change things up with Hindu Push-ups, triangle push-ups (with the hands close together in front of my chest), fingertips push-ups, knuckle push-ups, and one of my favorite variations where I put my feet on a swiss ball and have my hands on two dumbbells with round plates so that I don't have much stability and my body has to work harder.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDozer260
                    One more thing your skill is the most important aspect of training, don't let your strength and contidioning routine affect your skill training, Sparring, Mitt work, speed bag, ect. And I know all you will think I'm crazy for saying this but here goes.......Running has nothing to do with boxing, running has to do with running. Don't ask me to explain it's to much scientific crap and I don't give out my training secrets
                    it does affect your technique as you gas out quicker if you did weights a few days before.

you ARE slower.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDozer260
                      Well you theory of heavy weight packing on muscle mass is a little missleading to those up and coming boxer's buff. Burning more calories than u consume makes your muslces tone,removing adispose tissue(fat)from between and around the muscle, not the pushups themselves. You become only a slighy more muscular version of yourself because there is no additional resistance to overcome with you own bodyweight, your body never has to overcompensate for increasing intensities or load with your own body weight. As for heavy weights adding mass, well, only if that is your intention. You should see some of the 5'10" 175lbs power lifters, they have a light heavyweight frame but they bench 500lbs, squat 700lbs and deadlift 650lbs, so like I said only if a great degree of muslce mass is your intention. Health and fitness is my life son, don't get me started. You can increase muscular force therfore setting a stage to increase muscular power, which is force in minimal time. Boxing is the only sport on earth I think that still thinks heavy weights limity your flexibility, being sedentary limits your flexibility. Flexibility is something that has to be attained regardless of fitness levels, why do you think athelets stretch in the first place. So they won't be stiff! C'mon guy wise up, football is the most technological, medically, and physiologically advanced sport on the planet, with the exception of olympic track and field events.Them boyz lift heavy ass weights and move around faster than a centipede on crack. Ever seen the NFL in person? The TV don't do the speed justice. Bodybuilders make lifting weight look unappealing with overblown physiques, but that is the main focal point muscular mass, not muscular strength and power. They train only for mass not performance, so they don't work on a fraction of all the scientific mumbo jumbo I could ramble on about, that help develop the ultimate athlete. To all current and aspiring boxer, lifting weights and progressively heavier weights is the cornerstone for muscular power, and if you play sports u must use muscular power. Learn what does what and how to properly lift weights for your own personal/professional needs.....Or hire me I'll teach you. But seriously don't let what you've heard and not tried be the truth. You get what you work for bottom line.
                      your post makes a lot of sense. I have argued with numerous people on this forum that lifting weights is a part of many professional boxers training regime. And that the old timers views on how lifting weights will slow you down are null and void. I greatly appreciate your imput.
                      I was wondering if you had any advice for us as far as how to do it correctly. and incorporate it into ones boxing routine.

Comment

Working...
                      X