Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subject: UFC 90 Press Confrence News and Notes...AND MORE!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject: UFC 90 Press Confrence News and Notes...AND MORE!

From Chris!

Subject: UFC 90 Press Confrence News and Notes...AND MORE!

UFC 90 Press Confrence News and Notes

* Dana White announced that Mike Swick will be added to the card but stopped short at saying who his opponent will be.

* Chicago is the UFC’s #1 market for pay-per-view revenue.

* When all is said and done, UFC 90 will be the highest-grossing event in the 28-year history of the Allstate Arena, smashing Wrestlemania 22’s record of 2.4 million dollars.

* As of Noon today, UFC 90’s gate has already reached the two million dollar mark.

* White said Anderson Silva could potentially move up to light heavyweight again if he defeats Patrick Cote on October 25th.

* Furthermore, he even hinted at a possible GSP vs. Silva bout at an undetermined catch weight.

* The winner of the Diego Sanchez vs. Thiago Alves bout will receive a welterweight title shot.

* Speaking of Alves, he vowed to have no more issues making weight at 170 lbs.

It sounds like Chicago will be a hotbed for the UFC. Makes sense with a mix of mid-west wrestling fans and a huge Hispanic population who are generally big boxing fans and Anderson Silva, the UFC is primed to make UFC 90 a record breaking success.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UFC welterweight competitor Mike Swick will be added to UFC 90, which is scheduled to take place on Oct. 25 in Rosemont, Ill. at the Allstate Arena.

UFC President Dana White reportedly made the announcement regarding Swick during the promotion’s press conference on Monday at the Millennium Park in Chicago.

White offered no indication about who Swick will be fighting on the card.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Will Thiago Alves make weight?

Michael David Smith over at MMA FanHouse asked UFC welterweight contender Thiago Alves what his current weight was and Alves responded that he’s walking around at 200lbs.

“Right now I’m about 200,” Alves said. “That’s 30 pounds over my weight division, but it won’t be a problem for me to make weight.”

UFC President Dana White gave Alves a smirk when I asked the question, as if to say, “You knew this was coming up.” Alves said that the only reason he failed to make weight at UFC 85 was that he sprained his ankle 10 days before the fight and wasn’t able to do the cardio routine he usually does in the days leading up to the weigh-in.

Stupid ankles. Prior to his last bout, a dominating victory over Matt Hughes at UFC 85, Alves weighed in at 174lbs. and that fact led some to believe the weight advantage was the reason he won the match.

Alves next fights at UFC 90 in October against Diego Sanchez and everyone will be keeping a close eye on the weigh-ins. Especially considering a win would put Alves at the top of the welterweight contenders list but he’s not getting a title shot until he proves to the UFC that he can make the weight consistently. Outside of pulling out of a main event the day before, the UFC’s most hair-pulling situations involve people not making title fight weights.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a link to a video for ya...

Patrick Cote on fighting Anderson Silva: “I know that my face will be a mess at the end”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGzyj0dUMMQ
Working...
X