Boxing's lost luster

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
    Fanboy alert.

Pacquaio was washed up. They both shoulder the blame for that **** show.

Read my reasons for why he hurt Boxing. It actually makes sense. He and Pacquaio made Boxing essentially a two man sport for the man on the street which on a grand scale definitely affected boxing.

Anyway boring trying to talk boxing with Floyd and Pac fanboys. They follow their fighter and then the other and then some other guys they hate and way after that they follow Boxing.
    You see what happens when you make a level-headed post based upon observations and facts rather than emotionally driven cheerleading. You get clowns like him claiming that whoever doesn't like or approve of Mayweather is just a hater with hurt feelings and that all fighters not named Mayweather are overrated hype-jobs.

This is exactly why boxing has become so divided and there seems to be a lack of respect for fighters who aren't under one promoter or the other. We live in the Mayweather era of boxing right now where fans side-up with promoters, networks, announcers, state athletic commissions, managers, coaches, and even refs and judges. They are more concerned with PPV sales, ratings, viewership, and earnings than they are the fighters themselves. I've never seen this level of fanaticism in all my years as a fan of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
      You see what happens when you make a level-headed post based upon observations and facts rather than emotionally driven cheerleading. You get clowns like him claiming that whoever doesn't like or approve of Mayweather is just a hater with hurt feelings and that all fighters not named Mayweather are overrated hype-jobs.

This is exactly why boxing has become so divided and there seems to be a lack of respect for fighters who aren't under one promoter or the other. We live in the Mayweather era of boxing right now where fans side-up with promoters, networks, announcers, state athletic commissions, managers, coaches, and even refs and judges. They are more concerned with PPV sales, ratings, viewership, and earnings than they are the fighters themselves. I've never seen this level of fanaticism in all my years as a fan of the sport.
      It's amazing but yes it is FACT based that Mayweather's presence and the entertainment or lack thereof value of his fights meant every other PPV did less than it would at other times. PPV now is either blockbuster or bust and they are oblivious to suggest that paying customers that were dissatisfied with how boring they felt the fights were had anything to do with it and act like August 26th is one of the best things to ever happen to the sport as a whole and MayPac is the greatest thing to happen to the boxing business and sport beyond that night.

The stalling by him and maybe also Arum meant that casuals waited for that one fight only and that affected other gates and PPV's and viewer ratings but because you don't worship Mayweather then your just a fanboy or hater.

Comment

Originally posted by Hewito View Post
        I have a serious question. Every sunday or monday I catch up on all the fights, or as many as I can, they go in this order, Boxing, Bellator and UFC. I've been doing that for years, but I have caught myself sometimes leaving boxing for last, sometimes even fast forward, this is not an alone decision as many times we do some BBQ and is a general decision. Take for example, IMO, the daniel jacobs fight was lacking any excitement, many people might argue that when you put two opponents that are equal in can be a war or a sleeper, but in boxing I have noticed that even when not, they still very "tactical" if you will. Has Boxing lost is luster?, I am not talking about brawling, but most fights dont even have the appeal for the masses, we watched the wilder and instead of folks saying what a great fight, they were saying stiverne seemed he threw the fight, the fans dont know nor care about short notices. What are your thoughts?
        What do you mean? You know the tactical chess matches are what really sells. Mayweather made the most money because he provided the most exciting fights. Those old bums like Gatti and Ward didn't do nothing. Look how May stomped on Gatti. That dude can't fight! It's always the tactical counter punchers that are the most entertaining and bring more casuals into the sport. You ask anybody who the heavyweight champion is and everyone will tell you these days. Because boxing is on top, baby!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
          Mayweather-Pacquaio undoubtedly hurt Boxing's audience and increased skepticism around the entertainment value because I think when the fight was hot (2009) the man on the street had time for other fights and fighters but after a couple years of the fight not happening more and more people lost interest and basically made their minds up "Let me know when Mayweather-Pacquaio happens until then who cares" and then it happened about six years past it's sell by date and about 3 1/2 half years after it was a meaningful fight. Still, that did get back a lot of the casuals who saw it and obviously it's one of the worst high profile fights of modern times so that really hurt Boxing.

Pacquaio was good for Boxing until that crap dragged on too far and Mayweather was never good for Boxing. Now I know his fans will cry and say "without Floyd blah blah blah" but there would have been more fighters the public was willing to watch and they'd have been entertained enough to keep their interest and create more stars. Floyd was just about one star and to hurt Boxing so he could look like he's the only fighter that's ever been worth watching.

Comment

Using the jacobs fight isn't a good example to use, it wasn't a big fight, Jacobs has been beaten a couple times, it wasn't a big marquee fight.

Boxing is having a good resurgence, with a lot of big fights in 2017 and the growth of MMA leveling off, boxing is better than it was at other recent times, especially the middleweight, heavyweight, light heavy divisions.

On top of that, regardless of timeframe, *big* boxing matches are still the biggest sports events, attracting celebrities for ringside seats, so no, boxing is doing OK

....................IT'S THE JUDGING THAT REALLY SUCKS.

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
              Floyd didn't hurt boxing... he hurt bunboys feeling like yourself by beating their favorite fighters. How can a guy bring so much attention and ppv buys to the sport somehow be that bad for it lol? You butthurt clowns are comical. Blame #48 for not forcing more of an action packed fight. Hatton made Floyd fight an entertaining fight, Cotto did the same, but lets just blame Floyd for #48 not wanting to...
              Bingo Pac was reason it was not better fight(and had NOTHING TO DO WITH shoulder)And fight was not really that bad its just was so drawn out and such a big fight that unless we got Haggler/Hearns it was gonna be disappointing to masses.I mean were not talking Fury/Wlad or even worse H fury with Parker(I think H Fury should have been DQED)a lot of that came from Floyd hateing writers and the rest of Reg writers just ran with it.

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
                Bingo Pac was reason it was not better fight(and had NOTHING TO DO WITH shoulder)And fight was not really that bad its just was so drawn out and such a big fight that unless we got Haggler/Hearns it was gonna be disappointing to masses.I mean were not talking Fury/Wlad or even worse H fury with Parker(I think H Fury should have been DQED)a lot of that came from Floyd hateing writers and the rest of Reg writers just ran with it.
                PAC is the guy coming forward wanting to engage. May is the guy back peddling and it's Pac's fault the fight was a dissapointment. OK got it..

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                  PAC is the guy coming forward wanting to engage. May is the guy back peddling and it's Pac's fault the fight was a dissapointment. OK got it..
                  Yea Floyd was running????????and you think Pac WON(EVEN HIS MOM DONT THINK HE WON LOL)No use talkin to you bye.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                    He was suppose to cut the ring off like no other and throw combinations doe. His power was suppose to knock Floyd out doe.

Floyd was so boring that he has the highest ppv buys and even had a great buy rate after the Pacquiao fight lol. Only dumbass clowns blame Floyd for boxing not getting viewership without him. Clowns can't find any fault other than to blame the best I guess. They don't blame promoters, managers, networks, social media, boxing media, etc... unless it's associated with Floyd Mayweather Jr. LOL he really ruined some of the clowns lives by beating their fighter(s), retiring undefeated, breaking records, and making more $ than anyone else in boxing

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
                      He was suppose to cut the ring off like no other and throw combinations doe. His power was suppose to knock Floyd out doe.

Floyd was so boring that he has the highest ppv buys and even had a great buy rate after the Pacquiao fight lol. Only dumbass clowns blame Floyd for boxing not getting viewership without him. Clowns can't find any fault other than to blame the best I guess. They don't blame promoters, managers, networks, social media, boxing media, etc... unless it's associated with Floyd Mayweather Jr. LOL he really ruined some of the clowns lives by beating their fighter(s), retiring undefeated, breaking records, and making more $ than anyone else in boxing
                      Hey I got a radical idea. How about judging guys by what they do in the ring and not by unrealistic expectations or myths about their styles. I really don't care if you think PAC lost. I thought he won. Yeah he missed a lot but he was fighting the best defensive fighter in the sport. On the flip side Manny made him miss a lot also. Floyd got credit for punches that were blocked or didn't find the target. The announcers were very pro Flord. What little action there was was initiated by PAC. You can't blame him for the lackluster fight. Its part and parcel of Mayweather's tactics.

Comment

Working...
                      X