Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where does Lennox Lewis Rank among heavey weights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where does Lennox Lewis Rank among heavey weights?

Lost twice. last undisputed champ were does he end up.

Barely scratches the top 10 list amongst heavys

in fact I don't see him any higher than 10

Resume is nothing special (fighting Tyson left overs) and his overall skills were subpar. All he had going for him was his size, jab and a decent right hand (although nothing special). And who ducks John Ruiz of all people? Or Chris Byrd? Were they really that threatening and dangerous?

I also thought that Mercer should've gotten the nod over him when they fought in 96.

He also ducked Vitali in a rematch all the way into retirement.

He also hid 4 years in the amateurs, ducking Tyson, after he sparred with him and got hammered.

Comment

Originally posted by TysonBomb View Post
      Barely scratches the top 10 list amongst heavys

in fact I don't see him any higher than 10

Resume is nothing special (fighting Tyson left overs) and his overall skills were subpar. All he had going for him was his size, jab and a decent right hand (although nothing special). And who ducks John Ruiz of all people? Or Chris Byrd? Were they really that threatening and dangerous?

I also thought that Mercer should've gotten the nod over him when they fought in 96.

He also ducked Vitali in a rematch all the way into retirement.

He also hid 4 years in the amateurs, ducking Tyson, after he sparred with him and got hammered.
      Where did you read that Lewis got "hammered"? I read it was more or less even.

And Lewis simply wanted the Gold medal he had been denied (and which he eventually got) . How do you think lewis knew that Tyson was going to implode early in his career? It's not like Lewis went pro after Tyson/Douglas. The media was calling him (Tyson) unbeatable and predicting that no one would beat him into the foreseeable future.
      Last edited by res; 09-02-2012, 10:29 PM.

Comment

He is easily top 10 being his reign was so dominant. He has 2 losses but I say it's 1 and a half due to the quick biased stoppage in his first. The other due to an out-of-the blue punch he never saw which may've knocked out any heavyweight being it was so perfect. He's also one of the few heavyweights to have defeated every pro opponent he's ever faced. And he's faced top opposition for a dozen years which mostly took place in the '90's! As we all know, that era was perhaps just a little behind the '70's when it came to strong competitors. In his last fight he turned Vitali's face into a mangled mess and had him in serious trouble before the fight was stopped. He's never ducked anyone and had a prime Bowe running scared. Where do you think he ranks? I got him at #6...

Comment

Where did you read that Lewis got "hammered"? I read it was more or less even.

And Lewis simply wanted the Gold medal he had been denied (and which he eventually got) . How do you think lewis knew that Tyson was going to implode early in his career? It's not like Lewis went pro after Tyson/Douglas. The media was calling him (Tyson) unbeatable and predicting that no one would beat him into the foreseeable future.

I have read that lewis had done well sparring with tyson as well. He was only 18 when he lost a close bout to tryrell Biggs in 84 la games. I think he gives anyone problems because of size , strength jab and above average power. He just does not rate in the top 5 which is not bad when the division had ali, and louis and so on.

Comment

I rank Lewis somewhere between 11 - 15. He a was rather dull and one-dimentional fighter. He only had two weapons - the left jab and the right cross. He used the (mostly pawing) left jab to set-up the right hand. He neglected the left hook and rarely used the uppercut. If he ever had the ability to punch in combinations, he hid it well; he was obsessed with delivering the coup de grâce with his right hand.
            Last edited by Panamaniac; 09-04-2012, 02:43 AM.

Comment

easily top 10, possibly top 5.

Undisputed champion, gold medallist, beat every man he ever faced. Very good resume overall. H2H nightmare for almost anyone when at his best.Tried to make every fight happen, some didn't want it.

He has his fair share of Haters, I know the reasons why.

HBO tried to bag him and big up everyone else his whole career.

Foreman said after Rahman Ko'd him: Lewis is done, this is it for him

Foreman before the Grant Fight: "lets see how Lewis likes this, facing a guy bigger than he is for once"

They tried to diminish him his whole career while bigging up Rahman, Grant ETC.

Make your own mind up.
              Last edited by Earl-Hickey; 09-03-2012, 03:08 AM.

Comment

I rank Lewis at # 5 all time.

What I hate is that he never faced Byrd or Ruiz. However, I think his resume is as solid as it gets.

Those two losses saw Lewis basically get hammered with one punch. Losing to Oliver McCall and a young Hasim Rahman.. No shame in that IMO.

Comment

I reckon he's probably top ten, he really should have rematched Vitali though. The irony is that Vitali getting tko'd in that fight did more for Vitali than for Lewis (at least if you listen to the Vitali nut huggers) yet if the fight hadn't been stopped it's pretty clear that even an out of shape Lewis would have stopped him proper in another round or two, Vitali was done by that point.

Comment

I'd have Lennox Lewis somewhere in the bottom half of the top 10, maybe somewhere around 8.

Comment

Working...
                    X