Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here ever ate Mushrooms that grew in your front lawn?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mushroom nerd here. Please never consume mushrooms without a knowledgeable forager present.
    Hectari, amanita pholloides, virosa, bisporigera are all put you in the ground deadly. Luckily they are easily identifiable. Most mushies you aren't supposed to eat will make you feel like you've had terrible food poisoning, the real bad boys lay silent for up to 14 hours, by the time you realize you are sick your liver and kidneys are already permanently damaged and you in the process of dying.
    To address the original post there are many edible mushies growing all over the place including our neighborhoods. I pick Shaggy Manes (coprinus comatus) in a large piece of pasture property a few blocks from my house. There are other edibles out there but even in my own field experience I steer clear of some common field mushrooms because of the fact I don't want a blunt to cause me to have five days of power shltting on a misidentification.

Comment

Originally posted by Jem Mace View Post
      Mushroom nerd here. Please never consume mushrooms without a knowledgeable forager present.
      Hectari, amanita pholloides, virosa, bisporigera are all put you in the ground deadly. Luckily they are easily identifiable. Most mushies you aren't supposed to eat will make you feel like you've had terrible food poisoning, the real bad boys lay silent for up to 14 hours, by the time you realize you are sick your liver and kidneys are already permanently damaged and you in the process of dying.
      To address the original post there are many edible mushies growing all over the place including our neighborhoods. I pick Shaggy Manes (coprinus comatus) in a large piece of pasture property a few blocks from my house. There are other edibles out there but even in my own field experience I steer clear of some common field mushrooms because of the fact I don't want a blunt to cause me to have five days of power shltting on a misidentification.
      Sounds risky, why did you become a connoisseur of mushrooms? they really dont have much taste at all, is it for some health benefits? or are you just one of those Foragers who likes finding edibles in the city or town?

Comment

To clarify, while I do forage its only in pastoral areas within city limits. It is not safe to eat mushies on lawns, near roads etc. They are adept at pulling heavy metals and other toxins out of the soil.
        I live in a very myco-rich part of the US, I'm fortunate that fungus is readily available a short drive away.
        I think it was a combination of things that got me into myc, a background of gardening, a nerd fascination in science and also being a foodie. Also my interest in psychedelics.

The risk is something that goes away with knowledge. You should never eat anything you can't be 100% sure of. The more you learn you soon realize there are many mushrooms that you cannot misidentify. My seven year old already knows a couple by sight and name.

You are probably used to eating the button mushroom (agaricus bisporus), they actually grow up to be portabelos which are much tastier. Try oyster mushrooms which are readily available at most stores. If you have something like a whole foods in your area you can possibly find morels, chanterelles, lobster, lions mane and *****ake. All of these very tasty.

I've been growing oysters for about six months, hoping to expand to other species after I move this spring.

Comment

To clarify, while I do forage its only in pastoral areas within city limits. It is not safe to eat mushies on lawns, near roads etc. They are adept at pulling heavy metals and other toxins out of the soil.
          I live in a very myco-rich part of the US, I'm fortunate that fungus is readily available a short drive away.
          I think it was a combination of things that got me into myc, a background of gardening, a nerd fascination in science and also being a foodie. Also my interest in psychedelics.

The risk is something that goes away with knowledge. You should never eat anything you can't be 100% sure of. The more you learn you soon realize there are many mushrooms that you cannot misidentify. My seven year old already knows a couple by sight and name.

You are probably used to eating the button mushroom (agaricus bisporus), they actually grow up to be portabelos which are much tastier. Try oyster mushrooms which are readily available at most stores. If you have something like a whole foods in your area you can possibly find morels, chanterelles, lobster, lions mane and *****ake. All of these very tasty.

I've been growing oysters for about six months, hoping to expand to other species after I move this spring.
          I watched the urban forager and he said NEVER ever try it until you talk to an expert or do serious research, he was saying some boy scouts were foraging and found a plant near their home and used the dry twigs for the campfire to cook some fish they caught and they died, the plant was oleander.

also night shade grows around everywhere in the city and Iits deadly as well

Thats the danger of foraging you have to be 100 percent sure or else you are ****ed.

Good Herbs work, the problem is the supplements you buy int he store the majority of them do not contain enough of the actual herb to be effective or they dont even contain any at all, I read a study where they lab tested over 50 brands of a certain Herb and found that only 2 had more than 50 percent of that actual herb the rest contained very small dose and the rest was filler like rice powder and tapioca.

One brand even contained a common houseplant and not the actual herb advertised on the bottle smh

thats why if you can get the herbs fresh the better so you are sure they will have the benefits, the supplement industry is so shady people sell you fake supps for 50 bucks a pop its sad.

Turmeric is hard to come by, I remember my friend gave me actual turmeric root fresh he blended it put a dash of black pepper, coconut milk and some honey and cinnamon he told me to drink that for a week, and my muscle pain went away after two days. its called golden milk

The turmeric pills I bought did jack for me and I bought it for 40 bucks, but the actual root worked like a charm.
          Last edited by hectari; 02-13-2017, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I eat mushrooms from stores and restaurants but would never eat any type of mushroom that was in a yard even the ones that might grow on cow patties(look it up if need be).

Comment

[B]Also my interest in psychedelics.

Back several years ago, I was transferred to middle of nowhere Wyoming. Work transfer. Was out there for 2 years and change. I'm also into psychedelics. Fascinated by them. So out of pure boredom, one thing led to another...and I learned (through the wonders of the internet) on how to grow my own psychedelic mushrooms. Right there in my f**king closet.

I think most people would be surprised to know that the spores (even of the psilocybe cubensis variety) can be ordered legally online (with the exception of like 2 or 3 states if I recall correctly). It did take some time and care -- I think the whole process from start to finish was somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 to 3 months -- but yeah, I had psychedelic mushrooms growing under my motherf**king roof.

Good times, good times.

Comment

As for the thread topic, no, don't EVER eat mushrooms that you come across in the wild. Not unless you're a professional identifier.

Death is a legit possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Back several years ago, I was transferred to middle of nowhere Wyoming. Work transfer. Was out there for 2 years and change. I'm also into psychedelics. Fascinated by them. So out of pure boredom, one thing led to another...and I learned (through the wonders of the internet) on how to grow my own psychedelic mushrooms. Right there in my f**king closet.

I think most people would be surprised to know that the spores (even of the psilocybe cubensis variety) can be ordered legally online (with the exception of like 2 or 3 states if I recall correctly). It did take some time and care -- I think the whole process from start to finish was somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 to 3 months -- but yeah, I had psychedelic mushrooms growing under my motherf**king roof.

Good times, good times.
                  My friend said psilocybin wear off fast, he said he grew a tolerance quickly. He doesnt take them anymore He said if you do take them you have to take them maybe once a month because you build up tolerance.

Comment

I've always thought the mushrooms that grow on lawns looked disgusting. I think some mushrooms can harm you just by touching them.

This doesn't look like something you should put in your mouth:

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
                      My friend said psilocybin wear off fast, he said he grew a tolerance quickly. He doesnt take them anymore He said if you do take them you have to take them maybe once a month because you build up tolerance.
                      Yeah it's not your typical drug that you can do repeatedly. You need like, literally several days at minimum before doing it again. Many experienced mushroom users will say a full week minimum. And some will tell you even longer.

Let's say you eat 2.5 grams of dried psychedelic mushrooms, which is an average dose for some -- if you eat those same 2.5 grams the next day -- you'll feel little to nothing. However if you wait a couple of weeks, and eat those same 2.5 grams, then you'll get the full strength effects from it.

Same goes for LSD. Psychedelics are weird that way.

They're not meant to be used in a daily, or even weekly sense. In fact many very experienced users of psychedelics say that you will get the most out of them by only experiencing it a few times a year.

I'm gonna sound like a f**king hippie here but psychs are not your typical, recreational street drug. It's not a "feel good pleasure" drug. It's not a social drug, or a party drug. They're much more spiritual and enlightening. And I don't mean in a religious sense. You see things in a different sense, as if other doors of perception are opened in your mind.

Comment

Working...
                      X