Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Spence: Lamont Peterson Was the Welterweight Willing to Step Up!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j.razor View Post
    I think Peterson was sleeping on Mattysse's punch. Doubt that would happen again if they rematched.
    Yeah I doubt it too because Mattysse has been exposed many times now but my point is, Mattysse had that same killer hype that Spence does so I foresee the same thing happening.

Comment

I think Lamont is gonna try to box and move early and then press the attack later, which isn't a bad strategy at all for him since Spence doesn't have so much experience in long fights and Peterson gets better as the fight goes on, he'll try to survive the first half and maybe win a round or 2 and then put it on Spence late.

Spence should be ready to play the hunter in this fight, he needs to cut off the ring so that he can deliver that body work as early as possible in the fight. If he invests there early then it'll be a rather easy fight for him, but if Peterson's movement gives Spence problems like it gave Danny Garcia problems then it'll probably end in a close decision for the champion. Both are too experienced and both don't have tt 1 punch KO power, they break you down, so I don't expect a stoppage in this fight, maybe after 8,9 round for Spence.

Comment

Peterson is a great, and very game fighter. This is a great match up and I'm glad they made it.

I'm taking Spence by TKO inside of 10 rounds. Peterson will be tricky at times but I think Spence will have too much and his punches will start to pile on after the middle rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
          Brook is a very good welterweight, I don't think he's overrated. He was on some bullcrap when he won that title though, milked it for as long as he could
          Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
          Brook was his biggest test. A big welterweight with power and good fundamental boxing skills.

How is Lamont Peterson(who has shown he can't beat someone at the top level) more of a test than Kell Brook?
          I agree with these posts

Lamont is not a bad fight tho

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
            What about Bradley? He looked so bad there that I scored it a shut out for Timmy.
            True, Bradley was a crazy talent though, schooling undefeated guys like Peterson and Alexander with ease at 140. He doesn't get enough credit for a guy with limited boxing ability.

Comment

I see we have people downplaying the Brook win now. Weirdos.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
                I see we have people downplaying the Brook win now. Weirdos.
                can't understand it, i actually thought spence had a bit of an off night but stuck at it and took over the fight from the 7th round. Good win that was.

Comment

Decent enough fight on paper. I think Spence wins easily, however. It's a little strange that it's taken him this long to get a fight, I thought he would have built on his big win and aimed to start building his profile as champ as quickly as possible. I hope Spence doesn't end up being one of those fighters that ends up only fighting three times every two years.

Comment

It's not the worst match up in the world, but seriously, Lamont's 33, he's had 39 fights and he's fought exactly one time at 147.
                    The only way Petersen hurts Spence is if he smuggles a sledge hammer into the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Scopedog View Post
                      Decent enough fight on paper. I think Spence wins easily, however. It's a little strange that it's taken him this long to get a fight, I thought he would have built on his big win and aimed to start building his profile as champ as quickly as possible. I hope Spence doesn't end up being one of those fighters that ends up only fighting three times every two years.
                      People have to be willing to get in there with you. Garcia, Porter, and Thurman aren't interested right now. Anybody else would've been a waste/step back. Luckily Lamont has that old school feel to him. He'll fight anybody.

But with that said, Peterson's purse will be identical to the $1.2 million Berto got to fight Porter. That's probably the main reason he took the fight.

Spence will fight Garcia or Porter after. Whichever one steps up will be getting the largest purse of their career in exchange for taking the fight.

WW is a pricey division at the top. Similar to MW.

Comment

Working...
                      X