Collapse
No announcement yet.

A theory on HBO boxing's budget cuts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money freed up from GoT will go into whatever is replacing GOT, Westworld perhaps. It is not like series went unaffected because Vinyl cost a huge amount of money to set up and seemed to be just getting good but they canceled it also which was a future investment in a product they already sunk a ton into.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
      I would hope it is true though and HBO puts more resources in because that is good for the sport.
      Oh yea for sure. I'm rooting for it to be true.

I just suspect this freed up money will be spent on the next Game of Thrones or whatever. .

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        I've seen a few write ups about the HBO budget lately.
        Link me to a couple of those articles. I wanna check them out

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Oh yea for sure. I'm rooting for it to be true.

I just suspect this freed up money will be spent on the next Game of Thrones or whatever. .
          I ain't from Missouri but it has gotten to the point HBO needs to "show me" what they are about in boxing.

It is just being real at this point, hoping and wishing for HBO to come in on a white horse and just save the day for boxing putting it in a whole different direction is willful suspension of disbelief.

Still hopefully they come through with something because any investment put into the sport is good in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
            Money freed up from GoT will go into whatever is replacing GOT, Westworld perhaps. It is not like series went unaffected because Vinyl cost a huge amount of money to set up and seemed to be just getting good but they canceled it also which was a future investment in a product they already sunk a ton into.
            I noticed that too. The series didn't take a hit, only boxing. They added Bill Simmons show and Jon Stewart has a show coming. And they have Sesame Street. That move made absolutely no sense to me.

Comment

I don't know if it's budget cuts or not, but it's pretty amazing how quickly HBO fell from the top spot in the sport

And at this rate I don't ever see them holding that position again

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                People are lazy when it comes to canceling subscriptions. They'll lose some but not as many as you'd think. People will subscribe specifically for GoT but don't cancel the subscription when the season is over. And a lot of cable companies throw in HBO as part of a package.
                Yeah I called to cancel because they didn't show Ward fight last year and they gave it to me free 6 months.

Comment

Link me to a couple of those articles. I wanna check them out
                  Didn't save them. Thought they were as silly as this article. Google is your homeboy doe.

Comment

I noticed that too. The series didn't take a hit, only boxing. They added Bill Simmons show and Jon Stewart has a show coming. And they have Sesame Street. That move made absolutely no sense to me.
                    Sesame Street did make sense because that show prints money and was a very valuable property. Too valuable in fact to have on public broadcasting really. That was probably the best investment they made.

I don't get signing John Stewart because he is the same guy as John Oliver and Bill Maher, liberal slanted political humor. They are funny but how many of those shows do you need, I guess they have a lock on that market now though.

Bill Simmons is at least different but he got the ax at ESPN for not being worth what they paid him, so I fail to see how giving him more on a non-sports network makes much sense.

Westworld (which was a movie I always liked) is a cool concept but I don't know how you turn that into a long running TV show. I can see a season but what are the robots going to do after they go crazy and exact their revenge? Set up their own society. Then you hear the complaint about it being too violent (sexualized violence I believe was the term I read), so if people don't like watching violence between human and robot how can you justify spending money on Jim Lampley ejaculating over or giving fellatio to guys actually committing violence on each other.

Comment

In the end it comes down to subscribers and how many have HBO for its boxing.

If they can spend $30mil instead of $100mil and people still subscribe then they wil do that. It's makes them an extra $70mil doesn't it ?

Even if they lose $50mil in subscribers they are $20mil better off.

It's just maths, it's not about whether they have an interest in it or Rubert bloody Murdoch.

People need to ring on mass and say if it doesn't get better I'm gone for life.

Comment

Working...
                      X