Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Miguel Cotto done enough to be voted into the IBHOF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh yes he did, Cotto's two losses came in later round Knockouts against big punchers Margarito and Pacquiao, cant blamed him for not being able to face Mayweather, "Money" Floyd wants no part of Cotto in '08.

Comment

Then it's a yes for Hatton to..
      In other words, no I don't think Cotto's done enough..

Comment

Originally posted by oldgringo View Post
        the vacated titles thing really isn't that big in my opinion. the man makes the fight/title. floyd mayweather beat carlos baldomir for the welterweight title.....i don't think anyone can decisively argue that baldomir is any better than carlos quintana however.

he didn't lose his two biggest fights either. he lost one of them. the shane mosley fight was a bigger legacy fight for cotto than the margarito fight was. shane is a great fighter and will make the hall of fame easily. margarito....not so much.
        You bring up fair points, but in regards to winning vacated belt, I don't personally think it's a bad thing and I'm not looking down upon it completely in disgust. IMO in this day and age of 17 weight classes and four belts, some may see look at that in a somewhat negative way. He did go on to defend those titles and make them his own.

Yes Mosley will most likely go to the IBHOF, but IMO a prime Margarito, a top WW and Mexican fighter would've have looked very good on his career resume, moreso than Shane at the given time.

Just giving my perspective.

Comment

Cotto has a way better resume than some of the boxers that are in the HOF. So yes he get's in no doubt about it.

Comment

Originally posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post
            As it stands NO. Cotto dosent even make the top 10 greatest PR fighters list. But i still think he has a chance. I believe if his people are smart they will move him up in weight to 154. He can beat either spinks, foreman, or martinez who are the champs on that division. That will give him 4 titles in 3divisions same amount as Benitez and Trinidad. His only blemish will be the margocheater fight which now with the pictures of the pink substance cleary he cheated and his lost to Pacman which already is being questioned due to Perfomance enhancing drugs. The last part has already been discussed extensively in other threads.
            Yes he does. He is #7 on my list and many others.

#1 - Wilfredo Gomez
            #2 - Wilfred Benitez
            #3 - Felix Trinidad
            #4 - Carlos Ortiz
            #5 - Jose Torres
            #6 - Edwin Rosario
            #7 - Miguel Cotto
            #8 - Sixto Escobar
            #9 - Estaban De Jesus
            #10 - Jose Torres

Comment

All of this is subjective as i have him at #12 now. But as i said if he takes care of business at 154 he will jump a few more slots. Currently, Juan Manuel Lopez and Ivan Calderon are moving up the ranks as neither has lost a fight. I will like to see Calderon vs Donaire and JML vs either Cabellero or Chris John.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
                His career I believe is all but done. I'm on the fence with this question. Would like feedback.
                Absolutely. If fighters like Jim Braddock and Jose Torres have made it to the hall, why wouldn't Cotto? He's accomplished enough in his career to be inducted.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                  Then it's a yes for Hatton to..
                  In other words, no I don't think Cotto's done enough..
                  Based on the criteria for the hall today, Hatton will go.

Comment

Originally posted by The Monk View Post
                    Cotto has plenty of quality wins on his resume:

Cesar Bazan (former WBC lightweight champ)
                    Carlos Maussa (future WBA light-welterweight champ)
                    Lovemore N'dou (future IBF light-welterweight champ)
                    Randall Bailey (former WBO light-welterweight champ)
                    DeMarcus Corley (former WBO light-welterweight champ)
                    Ricardo Torres (future WBO light-welterweight champ)
                    Paulie Malignaggi (future IBF light-welterweight champ)
                    Carlos Quintana (future WBO welterweight champ)
                    Otkay Urkal (European light-welter and welterweight champ)
                    Zab Judah (former IBF/WBO light welterweight champ and Lineal WBC/WBA/IBF welterweight champ)
                    Shane Mosley (former IBF light weight champ, two time WBC welterweight champ, WBA/WBC light-middleweight champ and future WBA welterweight champ)
                    Joshua Clottey (former IBF welterweight champ)

Plus wins over solid contenders like Demetrio Ceballos, Victoriano Sosa, Kelson Pinto, Gianluca Branco, Alfonso Gomez and Michael Jennings.

One questoinable loss to former WBO welterweight champ Margarito (loaded handwraps?) and one decisive loss to the pound for pound best fighter on the planet.

In my opinion that is a Hall of fame resume. However one more big win/world title would really cement his place.

Awesome resume and he lost to one of the all time greats, his other defeat, we will never know the truth, but ALOT worse fighters have been put into the hof

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                      if Barry McGuigan can be voted in then Cotto is nailed-on to be inducted otherwise the IBHOF is a sham

Exactly. No all time great in real terms but a cinch for the HOF.

Comment

Working...
                      X