Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you agree that bears are the greatest animals walking on this planet?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
    Damn, Animal fan. Your username ain't lying. Green k on the way!
    Like I said I'm not "underrating" Bears....The problem is that so many people overrate them compared to the reality...There are so many outrageous myths about Bears floating around on the internet.....Claiming that Interior Grizzly Bears average 800lbs and can shatter the skull of Bulls with 1 swipe.

If someone claimed that Lions average 750lbs and can decapitate a Giraffe with one swipe I would think they are overrated to....Not because they actually are, but because there reputation is just so laughably exaggerated compared to the reality...

No animal can kill any other large size animal with a single paw swipe (barring a once in a lifetime freak occurrence) that is just ludicrous...

Interior Grizzly Bears (aka Bears that live in the Interior parts of USA/Canada/Interior Alaska and don't have access to Salmon runs) average 450-600lbs depending on the population....There have been some 800+lb freak Bears caught in Denali National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Banff National Park etc etc, but that is not the norm....

Anyway a Polar Bear (average 800-1500lbs) and a Coastal Brown Bear/Kodiak Brown Bear (average 700-1400lbs) would destroy any Lion/Tiger simply because of size alone....So if you are a Bear fan those are the two that would whoop any Cat easily...

The average Interior Grizzly is only slightly larger than the average Lion/Tiger and would likely be a good competitive fight....Could probably go either way....
    Last edited by animalfan10; 02-03-2018, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by animalfan10 View Post
      Brown/Grizzly Bears are poor predators of large game, so I don't think they would have much of a chance against a Hippo....

Lol at being the same size.....Interior "Grizzly Bears" average 450-600lbs....Not even a fraction of the size of an Adult Hippo and only slightly larger than a Lion or Tiger on average....

Your are thinking about Alaskan Coastal Brown Bears which weigh 700-1400lbs for Males on Average...

But even the giant Coastal Brown Bears while huge for a Land Carnivore are still tiny compared to a Hippo (in every dimension)...

Lions/Tigers can kill Hippos/Rhinos (and only in extremely rare freak occurrences) because they are extremely agile and have the hunting skill/prowess to avoid the Hippo/Rhinos counter attacks...The can just gradually chip away at those huge beasts for hours until they tire and collapse....But like I said it is extremely rare...
      i never said they were the same size as in weight. look at my post that you quoted. im talking about overall size, a grizz bear standing next to a hippo wont be much of a size different. yes, i know the hippo's outweigh the bear but im talking about physical size, a grizzly bear will not be small next to a hippo.

and if you read my post i said a hungry or threaten bear will be very determine. if it was a fight til death where no one runs off, the grizz will win because it has more tools to use against a hippo.

Comment

there's videos clip of lions killing hippo's. hippo's are huge but they're not built to fight or kill for their food so they wouldnt know what to do in a fight to save their life.

Comment

kodiak bear could easily kill a hippo and the hippo could kill the kodiak bear but my money would be on the kodiak, more agility, more stamina and much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by RedZmaja View Post
            Bears are without a doubt the most "athletic" creatures on earth.

With that size and power they can still run extremely fast:

https://youtu.be/K-Tfq6dARGk?t=48s

Furthermore, they can run like this for miles while many other fast and explosive animals like cheetahs get tired quickly and can't maintain their top speed for long.

Basically the bears probably have pound for pound the best cardio on the planet.

They can climb trees:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq7js3kX3gI

Here's a black bear climbing on rocks:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAB9-VGIkzM

They can swim, catch fish in the water.

Look at this hand-eye coordination and reflexes:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CsJGvFrDgM

They are also very intelligent and open minded. They eat pretty much everything. Very strong jaws, one of the strongest bites among animals. Can wreck anything with their claws, thick fur can adapt to harshest climate... Can walk on two feet like humans.

I never understood why fighters like to nickname themselves "tigers" and "lions" when bears are much more capable animals. For me, the bear was always the ultimate animal, the real king among animals.
            Hard to argue against that. Except you forgot that they have great wrestling and jiu jitsu as well.

Last edited by BKM-; 02-03-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GOLDKING View Post
              WTF did that guy actually survive the attack?

Comment

Originally posted by animalfan10 View Post
                Brown/Grizzly Bears are poor predators of large game, so I don't think they would have much of a chance against a Hippo....

Lol at being the same size.....Interior "Grizzly Bears" average 450-600lbs....Not even a fraction of the size of an Adult Hippo and only slightly larger than a Lion or Tiger on average....

Your are thinking about Alaskan Coastal Brown Bears which weigh 700-1400lbs for Males on Average...

But even the giant Coastal Brown Bears while huge for a Land Carnivore are still tiny compared to a Hippo (in every dimension)...

Lions/Tigers can kill Hippos/Rhinos (and only in extremely rare freak occurrences) because they are extremely agile and have the hunting skill/prowess to avoid the Hippo/Rhinos counter attacks...The can just gradually chip away at those huge beasts for hours until they tire and collapse....But like I said it is extremely rare...
                Err... Tigers can't kill Rhinos/Hippos because they don't live in Africa but I get what your saying.

Comment

Originally posted by GOLDKING View Post
                  kodiak bear could easily kill a hippo and the hippo could kill the kodiak bear but my money would be on the kodiak, more agility, more stamina and much faster.
                  A hippo would destroy a bear. It could potentially bite him in half. An average hippo is around 3000 pounds with a bite force of 2000 pounds per square inch. They are built like a tank.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                    A hippo would destroy a bear. It could potentially bite him in half. An average hippo is around 3000 pounds with a bite force of 2000 pounds per square inch. They are built like a tank.
                    The kodiak could easily outmanoeuvre the slower, less agile hippo and take its back inflicting fatal wounds causing death via blood loss and the hippo could kill the kodiak with one bite also. Its a lose, lose fight for both animals.

Comment

• Originally posted by BKM- View Post
                      Hard to argue against that. Except you forgot that they have great wrestling and jiu jitsu as well.

Thanks for this. There is no way any animal out there could handle the bear's ground game.

Comment

Working...
                      X