No announcement yet.

Why doesn't Lomachenko fight Fury?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't Lomachenko fight Fury?

Man I am sick of seeing a million threads about catchweights, people moving up, etc. It is getting ridiculous. It seems like every one of these threads has some kind of pro-Golovkin or pro-Ward agenda too. I understand that everyone here is a so-called "fan of the sport" but how is it that so many people are ignorant about how boxing works?

Guys, boxing isn't the ****ing NFL where everyone involved competes to see who's the best every year and then next year we can do it all over again. This isn't basketball where the Lakers can be dog **** for five years and they'll still have fans paying to see them. This is boxing, each guy only has one career and if they **** it up they don't get any do-overs.

Fights are all about risk-reward, of course you're not going to take risky fights if the reward isn't there. Fighters have to think about the long term, not just what they're getting paid for the next fight but for the next five fights. They can't just do what looks best in the moment, because if it backfires they drop down the ladder and have to scrabble back up.

Legacy is secondary in the sport of boxing. Who cares about legacy when you're getting punched in the face? Fans don't do **** for fighters when they retire, I could name countless "greats" that are penniless today. Fighters fight because they get paid to fight, they don't fight to win the respect of ****ing boxingscene posters lol.

Each time a fighter loses, their value as a fighter drops considerably. We're talking hundreds of thousands of lost dollars, not just for their next fight but across their career! Take a guy who is 15-0, so fairly young and untested in his pro career. If his next ten fights are all wins, he'll make a substantial amount of money. But if his next fight is a loss, then even if he wins the other nine, he is a lot worse off than he would have been as an undefeated fighter. Imagine how much money Adrien Broner would be making today if he had beaten Maidana!

My point is that these guys plan ahead, they evaluate the risks, and they take the path that gives them the most value in their career for the long term. Underdogs and opponent-type fighters like Josecito Lopez take risky fights they'll likely lose in not because they think they can win but because they're getting paid enough to offset the risk, they're getting more money than they would by fighting and winning against lesser opposition.

When guys take big risks, it is because either the money is there to make the risk worthwhile or because their options are so poor that the risk doesn't matter. Ward and Kovalev could fight TODAY if they wanted, but they both know the fight is risky and need to be compensated to make that risk worth taking, so they're building the fight up. The fact is, if those guys want to see real money in the divisions they're in they pretty much have to fight each other, HBO isn't going to keep paying millions to Ward to see him fight TBA in empty stadiums.

Of course Golovkin isn't moving up to 168 for anyone but Froch. There's a bigger, less risky fight for him at 160 with Canelo than anybody at 168 can give him. Why would GGG move up 8 pounds to make the same money he's already making just to fight James DeGale, if he has options in his own weight class?

Canelo, Golovkin, Ward, whoever. These guys are all looking for the biggest money for the smallest risk. Anything they're talking about is just that, talk. It's posturing to promote and market a fight. All fighters take calculated risks to get the most value out of their short, violent careers.

Frankly I'm sick of hearing everyone saying certain fighters should "man up" and do such-and-such while blatantly ignoring what that would do to those fighters' careers. It'd be like someone coming to your job and saying "oh you think you're a good employee? well if you're really THE BEST, you should quit your job and start your own business up... unless you're a ***** who is too SCARED of losing your lob security!!" Especially when most people here have never laced up and wouldn't put on gloves even if they were paid to do it.

Originally posted by The Ninth Layer View Post
    Man I am sick of seeing a million threads about catchweights, people moving up, etc. It is getting ridiculous. It seems like every one of these threads has some kind of pro-Golovkin or pro-Ward agenda too. I understand that everyone here is a so-called "fan of the sport" but how is it that so many people are ignorant about how boxing works?

Guys, boxing isn't the ****ing NFL where everyone involved competes to see who's the best every year and then next year we can do it all over again. This isn't basketball where the Lakers can be dog **** for five years and they'll still have fans paying to see them. This is boxing, each guy only has one career and if they **** it up they don't get any do-overs.

Fights are all about risk-reward, of course you're not going to take risky fights if the reward isn't there. Fighters have to think about the long term, not just what they're getting paid for the next fight but for the next five fights. They can't just do what looks best in the moment, because if it backfires they drop down the ladder and have to scrabble back up.

Legacy is secondary in the sport of boxing. Who cares about legacy when you're getting punched in the face? Fans don't do **** for fighters when they retire, I could name countless "greats" that are penniless today. Fighters fight because they get paid to fight, they don't fight to win the respect of ****ing boxingscene posters lol.

Each time a fighter loses, their value as a fighter drops considerably. We're talking hundreds of thousands of lost dollars, not just for their next fight but across their career! Take a guy who is 15-0, so fairly young and untested in his pro career. If his next ten fights are all wins, he'll make a substantial amount of money. But if his next fight is a loss, then even if he wins the other nine, he is a lot worse off than he would have been as an undefeated fighter. Imagine how much money Adrien Broner would be making today if he had beaten Maidana!

My point is that these guys plan ahead, they evaluate the risks, and they take the path that gives them the most value in their career for the long term. Underdogs and opponent-type fighters like Josecito Lopez take risky fights they'll likely lose in not because they think they can win but because they're getting paid enough to offset the risk, they're getting more money than they would by fighting and winning against lesser opposition.

When guys take big risks, it is because either the money is there to make the risk worthwhile or because their options are so poor that the risk doesn't matter. Ward and Kovalev could fight TODAY if they wanted, but they both know the fight is risky and need to be compensated to make that risk worth taking, so they're building the fight up. The fact is, if those guys want to see real money in the divisions they're in they pretty much have to fight each other, HBO isn't going to keep paying millions to Ward to see him fight TBA in empty stadiums.

Of course Golovkin isn't moving up to 168 for anyone but Froch. There's a bigger, less risky fight for him at 160 with Canelo than anybody at 168 can give him. Why would GGG move up 8 pounds to make the same money he's already making just to fight James DeGale, if he has options in his own weight class?

Canelo, Golovkin, Ward, whoever. These guys are all looking for the biggest money for the smallest risk. Anything they're talking about is just that, talk. It's posturing to promote and market a fight. All fighters take calculated risks to get the most value out of their short, violent careers.

Frankly I'm sick of hearing everyone saying certain fighters should "man up" and do such-and-such while blatantly ignoring what that would do to those fighters' careers. It'd be like someone coming to your job and saying "oh you think you're a good employee? well if you're really THE BEST, you should quit your job and start your own business up... unless you're a ***** who is too SCARED of losing your lob security!!" Especially when most people here have never laced up and wouldn't put on gloves even if they were paid to do it.
    ****ing amazing..When Floyd said this exact same **** ya'll bashed him....

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
      ****ing amazing..When Floyd said this exact same **** ya'll bashed him....
      This is boxingscene dude, there are people on here that act like Floyd's been fighting club fighters for the last ten years. And they're the people who think fighters are trying to impress them lol.

Comment

A detailed OP about catchweights, golovkin and ward and the first post brings up mayweather.

I almost have a full house already!

Comment

pbc fighters must be thinking 50 fights ahead

Comment

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
            A detailed OP about catchweights, golovkin and ward and the first post brings up mayweather.

I almost have a full house already!
            Really weird how that dude is so obsessed with Floyd. Some sort of mental problem that I don't care to dissect. Straight nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
              pbc fighters must be thinking 50 fights ahead
              LMAO...that was a good 1...

Comment

Working...
              X