Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best jabs are more like a martial arts back fist correct?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    I'm positive, quite sure.........
    im not doubting u rockin uve taught me how to jab in a way that I find is superior to what larry is teaching u said this is the way joe louis jabs but I watch joe louis and he jabs like larry holmes ie he whips it like a back hand/fist from martial arts, hell they all set up their stance to optimise whipping that hand in a back fist fashion.

It appears the best jabs are a combination of the back fist version and the piston version a hybrid, that has the speed and looseness of the back fist but the bone structure and straight line path of the piston jab, the way you taught me rock, also can you use that same delivery for other punches like the uppercut cross and hooks?
    Last edited by AlexKid; 08-12-2015, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
      im not doubting u rockin uve taught me how to jab in a way that I find is superior to what larry is teaching u said this is the way joe louis jabs but I watch joe louis and he jabs like larry holmes ie he whips it like a back hand/fist from martial arts, hell they all set up their stance to optimise whipping that hand in a back fist fashion.

It appears the best jabs are a combination of the back fist version and the piston version a hybrid, that has the speed and looseness of the back fist but the bone structure and straight line path of the piston jab, the way you taught me rock, also can you use that same delivery for other punches like the uppercut cross and hooks?
      Watch Carl 'the truth' Williams vs Larry Holmes. Carl worked Larry over well with the jab, it was quick and it had no 'tell'. Then watch Larry show chicken wings. Actually, Larry wasn't chicken wingin' it as much in that fight as others. But the little that he does allows Williams the time to recognize it and to get his straight jab there first. Williams had the jab working over Larrys, if Williams had a higher boxing iq Larrys reign may have been cut short that night.

I call it 'chicken winging', lifting the elbow to flap out a jab at a guy, there is just nothing behind it except for arm.

I'll shoot 100% down the pipe, no easy 'tell' with no chicken wing flappin'.

The right hand is fired in the exact same way. Hooks and uppercuts are a completely different ball of wax.
      Last edited by Rockin'; 08-12-2015, 11:21 PM.

Comment

TBH most elite fighters break most/all textbook rules. They get that far because of talent. And these days, careful matchmaking.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
          [IMG][/IMG]

Also did you know Larry Holmes Jabbed just like Ali technique wise, except he stepped forward with it more to add extra power Ali didnt do that as much he used it to distract blind score etc?

Hell even Liston and Foreman and Joe Louis jab with a backfist, as does Ali and Hamed, its the fastest way to throw the jab and its the hardest way too.

at his peak, ali's jab would move him naturally to the left. he was so long and fast that he coudl get away with circling toward the power hand of a heavyweight. it was not an arm punch. it was a fluid motion that started with traction on the ground, and ended with snap at the end of the punch.

striking with the back of your hand and your knuckles are different things. you can hit a speedbag with the back of your hand and your knuckles to see the difference for yourself.

Comment

Junior witter used a snake style kung fu jab check him out

Comment

It depends on who is applying it moreso. There's a right and wrong way to do thing's, and there's not a one-size-fits everything category either.

That jab can be good depending on the situation, but it's not very strong. The main thing is that it keeps them a little bit more occupied than normal.You can also work off the jab in slightly different ways since it's whipping fast across and is a borderline backhand.

Comment

Working...
              X