Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

News just in! George Foreman the best of the 80's Era, superior to Muhammad ALi!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News just in! George Foreman the best of the 80's Era, superior to Muhammad ALi!

Read all about it!

Did Ali have bad match ups stylistically? Guys like Ken Norton, Fraisier and others?

To me if you take that into account Foreman could be considered the best of his era or at least equal to ALi, because he only lost to Ali due to a sneaky tactic and bad match up stylistically/genetically.

He took care of the rest of his foe in a far more impressive way. Ali did not.

It seems to me that Foreman is the king of the 70's the best of his era but ALi gets the recognition for it unfairly.

Ali lost to his poor match ups and didnt take care of the rest of his foe in the same dominant one sided way that foreman did.(for the most part)

I mean in fighting there is a rock paper scissors thing going on, their may be a best of everyone in history, but even he might have a guy that beats him just because of of stylistic/genetic match up where he is scissors and he meets a rock , but that doesn't mean hes not the best of all time, or that the other guy that can beat him is.

Ali won and lost vs Norton, 1,1, (JUST) and lost/won vs Frazier, and had close calls/non dominant fights with others, Foreman wiped them out, and all his others pretty much, overall you could argue hes the better man more impressive in his era
    Last edited by AlexKid; 02-20-2020, 08:30 PM.

Its like hes been plagued his whole life by an unavoidable rock paper scissors scenario and really hes the best.

So in summery

1) Foreman took out everyone he faced and beat in a way more impressive competent and dominant fashion when compared with ALi who had far more struggles close fights, and non 1 sided fights.

2) Ali had poor match ups too stylistically, and he fared poorly vs Ken Norton who Foreman wiped out with ease, and came close with others. Was less dominant overall vs his opponents.

3) Poor stylistic match ups are almost unavoidable and should nto count as much as they do because of an inherit rock paper scissors scenario in fighting. Even the GOAT probably has a rock out there he would lose to more than not.

So im saying if you look at the big picture OVERALL Foreman was the better man.
    Last edited by AlexKid; 02-20-2020, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Foreman....in the 80s? Ali in the 80s? You're playing.

Big George barely fought in the 80s. George is retired from 77 to 87. He's a 70s/90s HW not really an 80s HW. I could be wrong, but I don't think he even fought a title fight in the 80s.

Ali fought twice in the 80s...lost both times.

I'll watch the video in a bit, but you sure you mean 80s?

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
        Foreman....in the 80s? Ali in the 80s? You're playing.

Big George barely fought in the 80s. George is retired from 77 to 87. He's a 70s/90s HW not really an 80s HW. I could be wrong, but I don't think he even fought a title fight in the 80s.

Ali fought twice in the 80s...lost both times.

I'll watch the video in a bit, but you sure you mean 80s?
        My mistake , they say 80's is the hey day of boxing ,so thats why I made the error

Comment

Also he never got to rematch his rope a dope loss, Ali re-matched all his losses, Foreman had much lower skill levels to compete with so relied more on sheer genetics, Foreman came back as an old man and won a title in the freaking 90's, Ali didnt fair well as he aged.

To me he just seems like the best guy, that got screwed over by the simplistic way we view who is best and who is not
          Last edited by AlexKid; 02-20-2020, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
            My mistake , they say 80's is the hey day of boxing ,so thats why I made the error
            Oh, I get that actually makes sense.

**** I was nervous you found some 80s Foreman Ali stuff I didn't know about. Like that Antonio Inoki 'fight' and stuff like that.

Yeah, 80s WW/MWs and such but late 60s to late 70s is the HW 'golden era'. Been a long time since I've heard the term actually.

I'm a big Foreman fan myself. Top five HWs all time.

Comment

Except Ali would have beaten Forman 10 out of 10 times.

Comment

The rope a dope in Zaire was a myth, Muhammad Ali beat up foreman for the majority of the fight 'So much so? Live on air during the fight, Ken Norton predicted the knock-out etc'

Ali would of stopped Foreman again, if the fight was staged in america 'In a cooler environment, Ali would be able to implement his style more effectively'.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
                  The rope a dope in Zaire was a myth, Muhammad Ali beat up foreman for the majority of the fight 'So much so? Live on air during the fight, Ken Norton predicted the knock-out etc'

Ali would of stopped Foreman again, if the fight was staged in america 'In a cooler environment, Ali would be able to implement his style more effectively'.
                  TOTALLY. Rewatching that fight really clues you in: Brother Muhammed was smoking Foreman well before he went into the rope-a-dope tactic.

Virtually everyone forgets this, or ignores it.

Comment

Foreman was a hell of a fighter. He is also the richest boxer alive with the possible exception of Mayweather.

Comment

Working...
                    X