Another California Thread!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another California Thread!

California judge rules that coffee requires cancer warning

A California judge said coffee sellers in the state should have to post cancer warnings.

The culprit is a chemical produced in the bean roasting process that is a known carcinogen and has been at the heart of an eight-year legal struggle between a tiny nonprofit group and Big Coffee.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/30/cali...r-warning.html

Coffee may come with a cancer warning label in California

A preliminary decision from a California superior court judge in Los Angeles could affect thousands of coffee shops including Starbucks, 7-Eleven and even your local gas station.

The shops may have to put up a warning that tells customers there is a possible cancer risk linked to their morning jolt of java. The court said in a statement Wednesday that the companies "failed to meet their burden of proof on their Alternative Significant Risk Level affirmative defense" and ruled against them.

California keeps a list of chemicals it considers possible causes of cancer. One of them is acrylamide, which is created when coffee beans are roasted. The chemical stays in the coffee you drink in what the court called a "high amount."
    A lawsuit first filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court in 2010 by the nonprofit Council for Education and Research on Toxics targeted several companies that make or sell coffee. The suit asked for damages and a label to warn consumers.

Is coffee healthy?
    Is coffee healthy?

"It's not a final decision yet, but I do think this is big news, and I'm much relieved after eight years of work on this," said attorney Raphael Metzger. "It's a good day for public health."
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/30/healt...nia/index.html

The whole state of California should come with a cancer warning

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
      The whole state of California should come with a cancer warning
      You're more likely to get AIDS than cancer over here.

Comment

As if we needed another California thread, but I am kinda astonished at the level of stupidity by CA courts with this decision.
        Really coffee causes cancer, where's the evidence to support such a claim?

It's ridiculous and burdensome to require businesses to issue warnings on a ****in' cup of coffee. Gimme a ****in' break

/rant

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
          You're more likely to get AIDS than cancer over here.
          That's a comforting thought

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
            As if we needed another California thread, but I am kinda astonished at the level of stupidity by CA courts with this decision.
            Really coffee causes cancer, where's the evidence to support such a claim?

It's ridiculous and burdensome to require businesses to issue warnings on a ****in' cup of coffee. Gimme a ****in' break

/rant
            So is the chemical produced in the bean roasting process a carcinogen or not?

If it is then why would you be again labeling it?

Comment

If I get cancer, can I sue Starbucks for failing to properly warm me of the dangers of their product?

Comment

If this is true then they will need to apply warnings to black pepper, BBQ grilled meats, and anything flame roasted. Oh, and the marijuana industry they seem to support out there will need to come with cancer warnings.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  So is the chemical produced in the bean roasting process a carcinogen or not?

If it is then why would you be again labeling it?
                  Because life doesn't come with a warning label, and, nor should we require products to have them based on junk science.

If you get a hamburger, steak or other piece of meat that has be 'charred' there are possibly carcinogens on it. Should we require warning labels for every restaurant item that is charred?

There are some risks that consumers have to take.

Comment

Sixth highest economy in the world. They must be doing something right.

Comment

Working...
                    X