Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you train to hit harder? Do squats and bigger muscles help?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you train to hit harder? Do squats and bigger muscles help?

The ultimate guide to hitting harder

I have done some research and based on what I have read, most of the power of a punch comes not from the fist or arms, but from the power generated in the legs. Is this true or just a myth?
    That would explain why boxers like Tyson hit so hard because they had rock hard legs like tree trunks

Other training to punch harder - speed bag, shadow boxing, squats, explosive training, HIIT cardio

Am I missing anything else? What other factors in training can improve your punching power?

Imo, the most important thing when thinking about increasing power can be attributed to form. Throw your punches and work the kinetic chain. Yes. The power generated does come from your legs but to get it to your hands with the most power you need to be efficient.

When you push off the ground you need to be able to fluidly transfer that power into your hips, then your core, then your upper body, as your arm starts extending till full extention.

Classic example:

Body builders dont do combat sports. Why? Because they are muscle bound and have poor kinetic chains.

Comment

In my opinion, punchers are born not made. Not to say that you can't improve your power through technique and training. Power doesn't come from one bodypart. Your entire body has to move and work harmoniously to create the snap and force to generate that power. I believe that comes naturally to some people (born punchers) They are able to put this movement together without thought and activate the correct muscles in order to do so. Combine that with a certain combination of fast/slow twitch fibre muscles and speed/weight of the person and you have yourself a hard puncher.

You will find that you get many different types of body types, yet in all body types you have hard punchers.

Mike tyson: Short and stocky
      Julian Jackson: Tall and rangy
      George foreman: Tall and well built.

So I don't believe it has anything to do with muscle size, or body type. Julian Jackson (arguably p4p hardest puncher of all time) said himself that power is god given, but you learn through boxing technique how to deliver that power.

Then you have the different types of punches. Elastic recoil (used by Sugar ray robinson) and another technique known as Bone stacking (Used by George foreman). Research both types for better understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by mayweatherspace View Post
        The ultimate guide to hitting harder

I have done some research and based on what I have read, most of the power of a punch comes not from the fist or arms, but from the power generated in the legs. Is this true or just a myth?
        That would explain why boxers like Tyson hit so hard because they had rock hard legs like tree trunks

Other training to punch harder - speed bag, shadow boxing, squats, explosive training, HIIT cardio

Am I missing anything else? What other factors in training can improve your punching power?

Speed, momentum, and the shifting of weight

Comment

Watch the videos of Taha in this forum

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            Watch the videos of Taha in this forum

Lmao

He trained Fury for the Wilder fight

Comment

you either got it or you ain't

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
                Lmao

He trained Fury for the Wilder fight
                Taha will be in the corner for the rematch.

Comment

Anyone here plays golf? baseball?

Its similar to throwing a good straight... Make sure the twist will start from your waist then to your shoulder, with this you'd have enough torque and no need to pull the straight far back. Watch the loma/linares tape. Linares threw one of the most perfect ones i think

Comment

You could also take a really small step forward and focus on your left shoulder moving back not your right going forwad

Comment

Working...
                    X