Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best current boxer never to hold a world title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best current boxer never to hold a world title?

Re-watching the Joshua vs Povetkin fight, I got to thinking that Povetkin, a good fighter, has never held a full heavyweight title, despite fighting during a historically weak heavyweight era (albeit one featuring a dominant, longtime champion in Wladimir Klitschko)

Which other fighters, in any of the weight classes, stand out to you as the best current fighters never to hold a title?

Eubank Jr. nah.

Comment

Matthysse (WBA regular doesn't count)

Andre Dirrell

I didn't want to include any youngsters who will get their shots soon.

Comment

Martin Murray when he was robbed against Sergio Martinez in Argentina

Comment

Danny Jacobs

Comment

JoJo Diaz.

Comment

Very good thread idea.

With the amount of titles and the number of divisions, most decent fighters end up picking up a title. There are some that fall through the cracks, though. Luis Ortiz is one.

Comment

meh, povetkin would always have struggled to make it over the top of the mountain, he had a lot of tough hurdles to overcome at HW, the big ones being phsyical dimensions and his punch.

when he first came to the US he was chubby and had very little power on his punches. he AHEM went through puberty again.

when ithink of underssized HW i always go back to david tua. the guy had a titantic chin, pretty good boxing skills and an olympic background, and one of the best punches EVER and he still never won a world title. yeah, great era, but FFS unlessy you are mike tyson it is not easy or practical to fight guys with 6-8 inches of reach advantage every time you put on gloves. and in povetkin's case with the giants int eh division, often he gave up 25 lbs!

Comment

There are too many titles nowadays for a good fighter never to win something. I'm trying to think and can't come up with anyone that stands out. Someone from lhw during Kovalev stevenson era maybe? Barrera or Smith Jr? Bute?
                  Did Cuadras ever win a title? Martin Murray maybe. Luiz Ortiz

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
                    There are too many titles nowadays for a good fighter never to win something. I'm trying to think and can't come up with anyone that stands out. Someone from lhw during Kovalev stevenson era maybe? Barrera or Smith Jr? Bute?
                    Did Cuadras ever win a title? Martin Murray maybe. Luiz Ortiz
                    Pretty sure that Cuadras vs Chocolatito was a unification fight. I think Cuadras was the WBC champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X