Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turns Out Rocky Marciano Fought Pro Fights As "Rocky Mack" Real Record Is 54-0!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A.K View Post
    I like how everyone ignores Chavez 87 fight win streak
    Yeah. Chavez just didn't coast and protect his record with carefully selected matches he just fought.

Had Chavez retired at 87-0 I still wouldn't really consider him the goat though.

Mayweather was always protecting the "0" pretty much from the moment he beat Gatti (which was a mismatch anyway). He fought like a team protecting a half time lead every time he fought and he was very, very careful choosing the opponents. He was an expert at getting a name, but not getting the guy near his best.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
      Yeah. Chavez just didn't coast and protect his record with carefully selected matches he just fought.

Had Chavez retired at 87-0 I still wouldn't really consider him the goat though.

Mayweather was always protecting the "0" pretty much from the moment he beat Gatti (which was a mismatch anyway). He fought like a team protecting a half time lead every time he fought and he was very, very careful choosing the opponents. He was an expert at getting a name, but not getting the guy near his best.
      Nah maybe not the GOAT but there was defintely a 10 year time frame where he fought everyone and no one could beat him. That in itself is most important. Record focusing and all that doesnt mean anything. You hold it down for 10 years and actually fight everyone with no bad decisions, you are an all time great. Yes Mayweather is an all time great too. I think he lost some fights but I wouldnt try to take away from his greatness unless they release his steroid test results.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
        I like how everyone ignores Chavez 87 fight win streak
        Nobody ignores it. It's just not relevant to the discussion of retiring with the best undefeated record since he retired with six losses.

Rocky Marciano holds the record for retiring as an undefeated champion with a perfect record and Floyd Mayweather holds the record for retiring as an undefeated boxer with a perfect record.

The Marciano fans should be happy Floyd came out of retirement to fight a non-title fight because it means Marciano still has the best record of anybody that retired as champion.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
          Rocky Marciano holds the record for retiring as an undefeated champion with a perfect record and Floyd Mayweather holds the record for retiring as an undefeated boxer with a perfect record.

The Marciano fans should be happy Floyd came out of retirement to fight a non-title fight because it means Marciano still has the best record of anybody that retired as champion..
          Dude. You are so right. Today is officially Rocky Marciano Day!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post

Nonsense Lol. Floyd was aging backwards, and facing men too big, and young for him. Making a fool out of them. He was ducking Pacman, and to compensate he decided to clean up everywhere at and around the division. Making a mockery of them.

For me, Floyd is byfar the greatest to ever do it.

Comment

Cool find but these records are still stupid. When you have guys who went 60-0 then lost because they kept taking risks how is that inferior to the guy who went 40-0 then retired?

Undefeated is utterly meaningless in boxing/mma/etc. It just means you're carefully managed. Nothing else at all.

Comment

Originally posted by //// View Post
                Cool find but these records are still stupid. When you have guys who went 60-0 then lost because they kept taking risks how is that inferior to the guy who went 40-0 then retired?

Undefeated is utterly meaningless in boxing/mma/etc. It just means you're carefully managed. Nothing else at all.
                A lot of truth in this but when you retire undefeated and retire as Heavyweight Champion when there was only 1 Champion it means you were the baddest man on the planet Undisputed. Lower weight classes pale in comparison especially nowadays where guys cherry pick opponents AND titles. An undefeated record nowadays means 1% of what it meant in Rocky's era...yet there's still nobody in any weight class who can match his 54-0 record!

Comment

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
                  Nonsense Lol. Floyd was aging backwards, and facing men too big, and young for him. Making a fool out of them. He was ducking Pacman, and to compensate he decided to clean up everywhere at and around the division. Making a mockery of them.

For me, Floyd is byfar the greatest to ever do it.
                  The problem with Floyd aside from the fact that he did Steroids the whole time and lost a few fights is that he ducked fighters and weight classes . Anyone can maneuver an undefeated record nowadays but Floyd couldn't keep a Championship and had to fight spectators to reach whatever redundant number he currently claims.

Comment

Rocky Marciano wasn't a heavyweight by modern standard. He was a cruiserweight (never had a single bout at 200 pounds or 200 + pounds). So he may arguably be the greatest cruiserweight of all time as a result or at the very least, one of them.

Also, undefeated records aren't better if someone has a few losses but also has far greater accomplishments. For example, Wladimir Klitschko has 64 wins and only 5 losses out of 69 professional boxing bouts. If we take away the number of losses from his number of wins, we have 59.

Thus, 59 > 54.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
                      If we take away the number of losses from his number of wins, we have 59.

Thus, 59 > 54.
                      Then you have record padding to consider. If JC Chavez had retired before Frankie Randall would he be the greatest of all time? I think not. Quality of opposition is important. Klitchko's both quit before. One of the against Chris Byrd who sells houses for a living. The fact that Marciano was a Cruiserweight utterly destroying the likes of Joe Louis, Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore and Jersey Joe Walcott only makes him that much greater.

Comment

Working...
                      X