Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Championship signs a 3 year deal with Turner Broadcasting (TNT)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Championship signs a 3 year deal with Turner Broadcasting (TNT)

I know they're primarily MMA but don't they also do a little bit of boxing?

They did that one fight with SSR, but idk if thats a part of their business model now or was just a one off.

I do know ONE has been making moves like a mfer. Got DJ, Eddie Alvarez & Super Sage. Got Miesha Tate VP of t^tties or some sh^t idek.

So good looking out for ONE.

The main thing I love about these guys btw is their weight cutting rules. They had a guy a year or two ago die while weight cutting & they've gone directly to the walking around weight method which is where reasonable minds need to take boxing & any other combat sport.

I think eventually everyone is gonna follow suit with the weight sh^t cuz its too dangerous & risky of a problem to not monitor it better for the safety of the athletes & the sport in general.

Comment

I like seeing deals like this made. It’s good for business, because it’s good for the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
        I like seeing deals like this made. It’s good for business, because it’s good for the fans.
        Ive always been a sports fan. The last few years Ive drifted away from the NFL & the last couple years Ive not payed attention to the NBA as much. MLB & all fight sports have me intrigued right now. Im glad the networks are investing.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          They did that one fight with SSR, but idk if thats a part of their business model now or was just a one off.

I do know ONE has been making moves like a mfer. Got DJ, Eddie Alvarez & Super Sage. Got Miesha Tate VP of t^tties or some sh^t idek.

The main thing I love about these guys btw is their weight cutting rules. They had a guy a year or two ago die while weight cutting & they've gone directly to the walking around weight method which is where reasonable minds need to take boxing & any other combat sport.

I think eventually everyone is gonna follow suit with the weight sh^t cuz its too dangerous & risky of a problem to not monitor it better for the safety of the athletes & the sport in general.
          Never knee One did a walk around weight rule. Thats very interesting.

Id like to see Bellator do some bare knuckle boxing with MMA fight cards.

Comment

Good for One. I hope they keep growing, so the UFC keeps getting punished for doing that stupid exclusive deal with Reebok. Yeah, good thinking, only letting your fighters endorse one product screwing them out of thousands to potentially tens of thousands in advertising for other companies on their shorts and banners, so you could keep them under your thumb. Not working out too well for you guys, is it? They might wanna rethink that when that deal is expired. Then again, maybe not.

I hear Vince McMahon doesn't give his wrestlers too much leeway either after The Rock made millions doing movies after leaving WWE, causing Vince to lose one of his biggest cash cows ever. But, I mean, it's inevitable. Guys get old and have to retire. It just happened sooner than later and he did come back for some appearances. Even if Vince limits them from doing movies, you know one of these guys will just take the risk of doing the movie, even if it means them getting fired, because they'll still be getting paid for the duration of their remaining contract. And if it does well and leads to a career, oh well. It doesn't happen that often though. And McMahon is also known to not want to keep someone around whose unhappy, but I wonder if he feels that way if they're a top star? They can probably always work something out storyline wise.

As for the UFC, if they don't want fighters relying so much on endorsements, then just pay them more. And they won't need as many banners behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              Good for One. I hope they keep growing, so the UFC keeps getting punished for doing that stupid exclusive deal with Reebok. Yeah, good thinking, only letting your fighters endorse one product screwing them out of thousands to potentially tens of thousands in advertising for other companies on their shorts and banners, so you could keep them under your thumb. Not working out too well for you guys, is it? They might wanna rethink that when that deal is expired. Then again, maybe not.

I hear Vince McMahon doesn't give his wrestlers too much leeway either after The Rock made millions doing movies after leaving WWE, causing Vince to lose one of his biggest cash cows ever. But, I mean, it's inevitable. Guys get old and have to retire. It just happened sooner than later and he did come back for some appearances. Even if Vince limits them from doing movies, you know one of these guys will just take the risk of doing the movie, even if it means them getting fired, because they'll still be getting paid for the duration of their remaining contract. And if it does well and leads to a career, oh well. It doesn't happen that often though. And McMahon is also known to not want to keep someone around whose unhappy, but I wonder if he feels that way if they're a top star? They can probably always work something out storyline wise.

As for the UFC, if they don't want fighters relying so much on endorsements, then just pay them more. And they won't need as many banners behind them.
              Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
              Ive always been a sports fan. The last few years Ive drifted away from the NFL & the last couple years Ive not payed attention to the NBA as much. MLB & all fight sports have me intrigued right now. Im glad the networks are investing.

So what's stopping them and UFC/Bellator from making fights with each other?

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                So what's stopping them and UFC/Bellator from making fights with each other?
                Same things that make it harder to make fights between rival promoters in boxing. The branding is just deeper in MMA leagues & historically there has been less working together.

Bellator is the least picky about that sh^t doe. They've let guys fight for Rizin, that lil Soviet state MMA league, pro wrestling & MVP even boxes between Bellator fights.

Comment

Same things that make it harder to make fights between rival promoters in boxing. The branding is just deeper in MMA leagues & historically there has been less working together.

Bellator is the least picky about that sh^t doe. They've let guys fight for Rizin, that lil Soviet state MMA league, pro wrestling & MVP even boxes between Bellator fights.
                  Yeah and fear of losing face. Chuck Liddell entered a Pride tournament years ago before winning the UFC Light Heavyweight title, the owners felt it made them look bad, because Liddell was considered the top contender for the title and still in his prime in 2003. I think it's something that should be done between champions though. Hell, WWE years ago used to do a PPV where their brands champions worked matches with each other to crown a champion of champions. It was on honorary thing though, as they were still able to go back to their promotions and defend their belts.

So I could see them either doing that or maybe doing it like the old regional territories in pro wrestling where if there was an undisputed champion, he could do to any other promotion to defend the title. But, they'd have to be under one major banner for titles though, like most wrestling promotions were under the NWA banner. The promoters would need to create and agree on unbiased and trusted national and even possibly international rankings. That would be some undertaking.

Comment

Working...
                  X