Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get a boxing commentator/writer job?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b morph View Post
    Is that something that could eventually lead to a paid position?

Kind of like how an internship can lead to a paid position if you work hard and are groomed into a paid, more serious position?

Going to big fights for free, being credentialed, getting to be ringside, and meeting boxing insiders sounds like a dream to me.
    Seriously,

**** Ill send you a PM motorcity

I would quit my job tonight if i could live that life

Comment

I would not recommend working in boxing as media, it pay shat. You can literally count the number of guys making a 1/2 way decent living doing media for this sport.

Unfortunately the Fat Dans of the sport are very very few if any at all. If you noticed a lot of the writers cross over to MMA and UFC as well just to make ends meet or even stay busy.

I met a few of the better writers and they all pretty much tell me they do it for fun and for the love of the sport, or they work another real 9 to 5 or their wives or girlfriends support them financially. All sad scenarios right?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
        I would not recommend working in boxing as media, it pay shat. You can literally count the number of guys making a 1/2 way decent living doing media for this sport.

Unfortunately the Fat Dans of the sport are very very few if any at all. If you noticed a lot of the writers cross over to MMA and UFC as well just to make ends meet or even stay busy.

I met a few of the better writers and they all pretty much tell me they do it for fun and for the love of the sport, or they work another real 9 to 5 or their wives or girlfriends support them financially. All sad scenarios right?
        Not necessarily. We all love boxing. Just being involved in it sounds amazing. Hell, there’s a lot of professional boxers who have full time jobs. I remember seeing a statistic in a boxing documentary. The average salary of a professional boxer is $30,000 or $35,000. I make more money than the average professional boxer.

Just knowing that I get paid, even if it’s a little bit, like $50 or $100 per event, just to go to a fight somewhere, ask a boxer some questions, and then professionally write about it for a website, would be awesome.

Plus, I can put that on a resume and that can further my career. Saying that I write professionally is impressive to a potential employer.

Comment

Not necessarily. We all love boxing. Just being involved in it sounds amazing. Hell, there’s a lot of professional boxers who have full time jobs. I remember seeing a statistic in a boxing documentary. The average salary of a professional boxer is $30,000 or $35,000. I make more money than the average professional boxer.

Just knowing that I get paid, even if it’s a little bit, like $50 or $100 per event, just to go to a fight somewhere, ask a boxer some questions, and then professionally write about it for a website, would be awesome.

Plus, I can put that on a resume and that can further my career. Saying that I write professionally is impressive to a potential employer.
          bro are you serious or u *****ing with me right now?

Parking alone at the big stadiums like Staples Center or Jerry Jones World is about $50.

Driving to these stadiums is like $20 gas. You'd be losing money doing this hobby literally.

Comment

Is that something that could eventually lead to a paid position?

Kind of like how an internship can lead to a paid position if you work hard and are groomed into a paid, more serious position?

Going to big fights for free, being credentialed, getting to be ringside, and meeting boxing insiders sounds like a dream to me.
            Yea you can turn that into a paid position. But he does it out of passion. He works full time himself. I've written a couple articles for him. It's something i did for fun. But for people serious about it it's a resume builder. Damn near none of these boxing sites actually pay. But if you get your name out there and build an audience you can get paid freelance work

Comment

Parking alone at the big stadiums like Staples Center or Jerry Jones World is about $50.

Driving to these stadiums is like $20 gas. You'd be losing money doing this hobby literally.
              Yep! You get into that fights for free but you gotta pay your own way. I've met a lot of writers & they all have full time jobs. But with so much money being put into the sport now I think it's the perfect time to get into writing. Most of these established sports writers dksab

Comment

If you live in or near a big city that puts on major cards on a regular basis, then you could just do the local shows and that would alleviate a lot of travel costs.

As far as losing money, well s h I t. What hobby don’t you lose money in anyways?

The way I look at it, you’re actually saving money if you already go to see live boxing on a regular basis, now you’re getting a ringside seat for free.

Comment

If you live in or near a big city that puts on major cards on a regular basis, then you could just do the local shows and that would alleviate a lot of travel costs.

As far as losing money, well s h I t. What hobby don’t you lose money in anyways?

The way I look at it, you’re actually saving money if you already go to see live boxing on a regular basis, now you’re getting a ringside seat for free.
                  yeah bro if you can work your way up to ringside media that is definitely a perk but again its still an expensive hobby. not all media get to sit ringside bro. Many of the bigger stadiums have the ringside media for the top guys from the bigger media companies and the smaller guys dont even get a seat or they get nosebleeds or they have to watch the fight from the media room which a small tiny room with a few tvs.

I'm not trying to be all negative Nancy I'm just telling you how it is. I had a grip of friends who tried to climb up the ranks in the boxing media world and they told me all the real talk stories. Some guys I know been grinding away since the prime Roy Jones era and they still pretty much just doing it for fun and for a hobby.

But yeah if you can make it happen and make decent income from it then thats great bro. But like someone else pointed out usually the guys who do actually know the most about the sport are not the top guys and then you got some clueless guys who DKSAB being the face of ESPN or whatever.

Comment

Get a degree in Journalism. Be PASSIONATE about the sport of boxing. Have an outgoing and engaging personality. Work your ass off.

Comment

Working...
                    X