No announcement yet.

Ray Leonard vs Roy Jones at Middleweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
    I’ve never been a fan of Hopkins fella...always thought he was one dimensional TBH
    - -Nor I, but he became highly touted and Ring ranked probably as long as Hearns and Duran combined.

I dismiss Ray, but he had talent and rankings whenever he fought that mean something.

Comment

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
      leonard was a true great and always found away to win so could he have beat jones...I don’t know for sure and Leonard wins are far more impressive than Jones and Jones never boxed anybody as complete as leonard so I don’t know....I think hagler would have been a nightmare for Jones going on the basis that Jones could not stop Trinidad or McCallum ....Jones looked fantastic against mediocre challengers where is leonard looked fantastic against all time greats ....so this question we will never know for sure
      Thats the point I am trying to make...Not that Ray would definitely clean house... But when thinking this match up through...really getting a sense of what each fighter brought to the table.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        Thats the point I am trying to make...Not that Ray would definitely clean house... But when thinking this match up through...really getting a sense of what each fighter brought to the table.
        Ray in his prime is better than Jones. His prime is 147 lbs. he did fight Marcos Geraldo by accident who was a middleweight, the weight and size is evident but Rays hand speed was too much, and Geraldo took his punches well. This is likely where the eye damage began, with Hearns putting icing on the cake.

Jones started at 154, his prime is likely 160. He fought and beat his best competition there, and we don't even know if he has a bad chin at the weight. At 175+ its mostly his speed and talents getting him victories, but he never struck me as an actual thoroughbred light heavy, and it makes sense to me once he got tagged by bigger fighters he was out cold.

Realistically Leonard has a coke addiction by the time hes at 160, and hes inactive. He squeaked out a win vs Hagler who at this point was looking beatable. Leonard did some pretty clever psychological moves on his biggest opponents, Hagler being one of them. He pretended to be friends with Hagler, to make Hagler seem less scary, then in the ring he was mean. It's similar to Ali mocking and cracking jokes about his scariest opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          Ray in his prime is better than Jones. His prime is 147 lbs. he did fight Marcos Geraldo by accident who was a middleweight, the weight and size is evident but Rays hand speed was too much, and Geraldo took his punches well. This is likely where the eye damage began, with Hearns putting icing on the cake.

Jones started at 154, his prime is likely 160. He fought and beat his best competition there, and we don't even know if he has a bad chin at the weight. At 175+ its mostly his speed and talents getting him victories, but he never struck me as an actual thoroughbred light heavy, and it makes sense to me once he got tagged by bigger fighters he was out cold.

Realistically Leonard has a coke addiction by the time hes at 160, and hes inactive. He squeaked out a win vs Hagler who at this point was looking beatable. Leonard did some pretty clever psychological moves on his biggest opponents, Hagler being one of them. He pretended to be friends with Hagler, to make Hagler seem less scary, then in the ring he was mean. It's similar to Ali mocking and cracking jokes about his scariest opponents.
          - -A crack addled Ali wannabe better than Roy in his prime touted as the best ever, not by him but his peers and boxing insiders.

What grade U get sent back to this year?

Roy's top championship years at 168-175.

Comment

Roy Jones haters are hilarious, he wins this easy.

Comment

Roy's best was clearly 168. He was better at 175 than at 160, too.

But remember, he CUT to 160. Unlike Donny Lalonde, making weight wouldn't be an issue for Roy. And let's not forget Roy won a belt at Heavyweight - something else Lalonde can't claim.

And I dunno... something tells me Roy might hit a lot harder than Macho Camacho. Just a crazy a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                Roy's best was clearly 168. He was better at 175 than at 160, too.

But remember, he CUT to 160. Unlike Donny Lalonde, making weight wouldn't be an issue for Roy. And let's not forget Roy won a belt at Heavyweight - something else Lalonde can't claim.

And I dunno... something tells me Roy might hit a lot harder than Macho Camacho. Just a crazy a guess.
                Well Roy never had a cocaine addiction, and by the time Leonard got in with Camacho he was a recovering addict.

Thats cool Roy won a title at heavyweight, but he won it from a paper champ, in an era with 4 belts. He in reality Roy beat a journeyman contender who got a belt because there were 4 of em being handed out at the time. Roy would have never beat Lennox Lewis.

Leonard started in a lower weight class than Roy, but had he been naturally a bit bigger im sure he would have smacked a guy like Ruiz around just as easy. Even Toney had a pretty good run at heavyweight and the dude was obese, but same deal - if Toney was getting in with Lennox or Holyfield in his prime he wouldnt have got very far.

Comment

Well Roy never had a cocaine addiction, and by the time Leonard got in with Camacho he was a recovering addict.

Thats cool Roy won a title at heavyweight, but he won it from a paper champ, in an era with 4 belts. He in reality Roy beat a journeyman contender who got a belt because there were 4 of em being handed out at the time. Roy would have never beat Lennox Lewis.

Leonard started in a lower weight class than Roy, but had he been naturally a bit bigger im sure he would have smacked a guy like Ruiz around just as easy. Even Toney had a pretty good run at heavyweight and the dude was obese, but same deal - if Toney was getting in with Lennox or Holyfield in his prime he wouldnt have got very far.
                  - -If U been born U Auntie U be on the quilting forum where U belong.

Nobody ever touted Ray the best ever. They did Roy.

Deal with it!

Comment

Ray in his prime is better than Jones. His prime is 147 lbs. he did fight Marcos Geraldo by accident who was a middleweight, the weight and size is evident but Rays hand speed was too much, and Geraldo took his punches well.
                    geraldo wasnt actually a middleweight though was he?
                    he was a fat bum

Realistically Leonard has a coke addiction
                    and?????

Comment

Leonard never faced anyone with Jones’ hand speed and reflexes. Terry Norris was the closest and he mauled a past prime Leonard. At 160 Jones had too many advantages for Leonard to overcome. SRL was at his best at 147. Sneaking out a controversial win over Hagler by stealing rounds with pity-pat flurries in the last 30 seconds wouldn’t work with prime Jones at middleweight.

Comment

Working...
                      X